Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 06:48 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I'm the OP. The Gallup study I linked specifically states:The only one being dumb here is you.
Analogy...look it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 07:07 AM

89,001 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Analogy...look it up.
Gallup's data is pretty clear, hence the title of the article discussing the study results. Obesity is linked to unemployment. Employers would rather not hire obese people.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:32 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,037,668 times
Quote:
I don't see it. If that's your personal observation, ok.

Come to think of it...the best judge of motivation, discipline, and intelligence could be related to choice of vehicle.

If two potential employees are exactly the same but one drives a chevy Cobalt and the other drives a Honda Accord wouldn't you hire the Honda owner. It's a vastly superior vehicle in nearly all...if not all...aspects.
No, I'd hire the one driving the Lexus SUV.
Seriously, have you ever (or at least very rarely) seen an overweight, ugly person driving a really nice, high end SUV? Maybe some of it is the trophy wife thing, but make some observations next time you're on the road and notice who's driving the nice SUVs.
I guess that's another benefit of being non-obese, you marry up.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:36 AM

35,061 posts, read 31,284,584 times
If someone is really obese or out of shape, people see sick days and medical expenses, fair or not.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
If someone is really obese or out of shape, people see sick days and medical expenses, fair or not.
True. And statistically validated.

When I see a female of child bearing age I see maternity leave and future drama that is raising kids. I see physically inferior as well...a huge negative if the job requires strength.

It's up to each employer to decide which factors/traits will impact their bottom line in selecting employees.

And potential employees have to consider this to when they approach possible employers for work. I'm not sure how impact full each trait is...guess it depends of the parties involved.

Maybe that's why Informed Consent has been self-employed for such a long time. She isn't/wasn't a diserable employee due to poor traits/factors. Add enough of them up and maybe she or anyone can become unemployable.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
True. And statistically validated.
Exactly.

Quote:
When I see a female of child bearing age I see maternity leave and future drama that is raising kids. I see physically inferior as well...a huge negative if the job requires strength.

It's up to each employer to decide which factors/traits will impact their bottom line in selecting employees.

And potential employees have to consider this to when they approach possible employers for work. I'm not sure how impact full each trait is...guess it depends of the parties involved.

Maybe that's why Informed Consent has been self-employed for such a long time. She isn't/wasn't a diserable employee due to poor traits/factors.
No, I've both worked for an employer and been self-employed. Both were my choice at the time. Interestingly enough I worked for an employer when I was of child-bearing age. Neither the potential for maternity leave and raising kids nor any perceived physical inferiority caused my employer any concern whatsoever.

Your premise doesn't really hold up all that well when looking at the employment data. Men have a higher unemployment rate than do women.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Exactly.

No, I've both worked for an employer and been self-employed. Both were my choice at the time. Interestingly enough I worked for an employer when I was of child-bearing age. Neither the potential for maternity leave and raising kids nor any perceived physical inferiority caused my employer any concern whatsoever.

Your premise doesn't really hold up all that well when looking at the employment data. Men have a higher unemployment rate than do women.
(Shrug)

Maybe this stuff is secondary to employers after all?

I don't know why we're still arguing about this. There is no "perfect" employee. Obese people take more sick days. Women use more medical services/maternity leave. Taller people get cancer at a higher clip than shorter folks.

I'm sure some employers take obesity into account as your article states. All I'm saying is there are so many factors/traits of a potential employee that MAY impact productivity picking a single one is pretty myopic.

That's why women getting jobs. Obese people get jobs. Tall people get jobs. Black people get jobs. Etc.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
(Shrug)

Maybe this stuff is secondary to employers after all?

I don't know why we're still arguing about this. There is no "perfect" employee. Obese people take more sick days. Women use more medical services/maternity leave. Taller people get cancer at a higher clip than shorter folks.

I'm sure some employers take obesity into account as your article states. All I'm saying is there are so many factors/traits of a potential employee that MAY impact productivity picking a single one is pretty myopic.
Take it up with Gallup. They noticed and reported on the obesity link:
Obesity Linked to Unemployment in U.S.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Take it up with Gallup. They noticed and reported on the obesity link:
Obesity Linked to Unemployment in U.S.
I don't have to take it up with Gallup.

If you're dumb enough to believe it...that's on you.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
If you're dumb enough to believe it...that's on you.
I believe the reality that the obese are disproportionately unemployed. Why don't you?

The obese have a 28.6% unemployment rate.

Employed Americans in Better Health Than the Unemployed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies