Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 12:48 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,843,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by medellinheel View Post
No, they are the primary causes.
The three causes you've listed haven't made anyone gay. They're purely guesses on your part.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:50 PM

675 posts, read 542,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
The three causes you've listed haven't made anyone gay. They're purely guesses on your part.
Wow, you know / speak for every gay in the world.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:51 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,020,432 times
Quote:
No, they are the primary causes.

Like with everything in life, you have exceptions and things that we simply can not explain.
*sigh*

Look, politics aside, you really DO need to read up better on the scientific method. You can't create a grand, sweeping theory that you claim "explains things" and then sweep all the data points that don't fit under the rug. The theory must be adjusted accordingly, or you need to back up and admit that what you're seeing is simply "noise" in the data. In short, it may be correlation, but it is certainly not causation.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:51 PM

32,009 posts, read 36,673,317 times
Quote:
After doing some research and talking with a lot of my gay friends I think I have finally got a good grasp on the causes for homosexuality.

1) Lacking / Absence / Neglect from a parental figure

2) Abuse

Those are the two main ones. But you can not attribute all cases to the above.

3) The want or need to be different and/or rebel against social norms

There you have it folks. Discuss
The thing is, there are a lot of people with that same background who turn out to be heterosexual.

And there are also a lot of gay people who don't have that background.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:53 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,078,020 times
Quote:
Maybe you and all your gay friends just happen to be the outliers.

Also, its hard for people to admit factors that might lead one to think they were not born that way.

Or maybe you're just full of ****.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
*sigh*

Look, politics aside, you really DO need to read up better on the scientific method. You can't create a grand, sweeping theory that you claim "explains things" and then sweep all the data points that don't fit under the rug. The theory must be adjusted accordingly, or you need to back up and admit that what you're seeing is simply "noise" in the data. In short, it may be correlation, but it is certainly not causation.
We can change it to those factors correlate to gayness if that makes you feel better.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:57 PM

18,151 posts, read 15,578,521 times
My time spent around the gay "lifestyle", such as it is, has allowed me time to .make some observations. Hardly concrete research, but enough to get me by. No experience at all with gay men, even the get togethers I've been invited to by my gay female friends didn't include them, but all the women do say they have friends in that group. They just don't hang out together.

I suppose I'm a bit of a "token" as it were, least ways I am jokingly referred to as such. In reality, I'm more of a ...special case. Because of how close my friend who died and I were. That was a large part of the acceptance factor, and my girl and I are ALWAYS treated with utmost respect at get togethers, which are not common for us to attend, but we do hang out sometimes on special occasions.

The interactions between the individuals in this group of friends does take some getting used to. The humor is different, conversational topics are often hard for someone not in the "life" to follow, let alone join in on.But I've never felt uncomfortable or that my girl is being ogled or someone has designs on her, nor has she ever felt thus. Now, the girls do tell me there are other groups that aren't so respectful, like the bunch I dealt with at my job. A couple of those people are known to my friends, and they dislike them as much or more than I, because they promote stereotypes and are as abrasive as a disc grinder.

The way my group of friends act is totally different, and more representative of the real demographic. Least that's how I see it. Other than all but one of the couples in the circle, my girl and I, being same sex, social gatherings are no different than what you would see with any group of friends. So.eti.es I wonder, if the situation were reversed, and it was a group of gay guys my lady was friends with and I were attending get togethers with her, if I would feel any different. Less comfortable , whatever.

The older I get, the less things make me uncomfortable though. My girl and I are secure in our sexuality, our trust is implicit and irrefutable, so I would not shy away from such a situation as I described. I trust her not to lead me into anything weird or freaky. Just like she's trusted me. Its just more life experience. As things have turned out my perceptions have seriously altered from who I used to be. Wonder of wonders, I'm still me, having friends who are lesbians has not altered my sexuality, or that of my lady, and we are just who we've always been, minus a few prejudices and misconceptions.

So, whatever it is that "causes" people to be gay, I know what its not. That is , some kind of rampant contagion transfered via airborne and contact method. Lmao.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:58 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,843,737 times
Quote:
Wow, you know / speak for every gay in the world.
Don't pretend like YOU do!

Old 06-20-2014, 12:59 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,020,432 times
Quote:
We can change it to those factors correlate to gayness if that makes you feel better.
It's not a question of how I feel, but proper use of the terms.

Look, I'm an engineer by trade. If I got up in front of a group of people and presented the data and findings you did, complete with the run-away examples of "well, that doesn't fit my list of reasons, but you can't explain everything..." I'd be laughed off the stage.

At this point I'm not talking about politics - I am honestly trying to help you out here. Please, don't confuse correlation and causation, and if a theory only fits some of the facts, don't just assume that the rest of the data points are invalid. A lot of big mistakes have been made that way, including ones that cost lives.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
It's not a question of how I feel, but proper use of the terms.

Look, I'm an engineer by trade. If I got up in front of a group of people and presented the data and findings you did, complete with the run-away examples of "well, that doesn't fit my list of reasons, but you can't explain everything..." I'd be laughed off the stage.

At this point I'm not talking about politics - I am honestly trying to help you out here. Please, don't confuse correlation and causation, and if a theory only fits some of the facts, don't just assume that the rest of the data points are invalid. A lot of big mistakes have been made that way, including ones that cost lives.
PReciate the help, but I am not a professional speaker, debater, or anything else you might want to group this. So I am not really concerned all that much with the correctness of my method and articulation.

Thanks tho

I shared my findings and theory. Nothing more nothing less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.