Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 06:49 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times

Advertisements

Sounds like we better get on the stick. The Chinese aren't messing around these days.

China Might Be Winning The Race To Reduce Solar Costs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 06:57 PM

45,235 posts, read 26,464,208 times
Who is "we"?

Old 06-17-2014, 07:00 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Sounds like we better get on the stick. The Chinese aren't messing around these days.

Making it cheap still will not allow solar to replace coal. If you think it will, then you do not know how our electrical grid functions.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:01 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,596,784 times
Interesting read, but until the storage aspect (solar batteries for night+inclement weather alone cost over 7k for a typical home) and actual installation costs (can cost as much as a standard roofing job just to have them put on your house) come down, the systems will always be cost prohibitive compared to coal or NG.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:19 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,794,304 times
Quote:

They better come up with a way to store the energy, because that is the biggest drawback of solar and wind. Also, it is MIT, not China, who are developing solar that could break the 35% efficiency barrier.

Solar cell coating could break efficiency barrier, researchers claim | The Verge

We invent technologies, China only copies it. Capitalism at work.

I was going to build my solar system when the cost of core output (from the panel) was running $2.50 per watt, but I waited and now it's .75 per watt. Now I'm ready to go with Xantrex 2800 staring at me.

@Kreutz it's like our minds are on a wire

Old 06-17-2014, 08:11 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,656,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
They better come up with a way to store the energy, because that is the biggest drawback of solar and wind. Also, it is MIT, not China, who are developing solar that could break the 35% efficiency barrier.

Solar cell coating could break efficiency barrier, researchers claim | The Verge

We invent technologies, China only copies it. Capitalism at work.

I was going to build my solar system when the cost of core output (from the panel) was running $2.50 per watt, but I waited and now it's .75 per watt. Now I'm ready to go with Xantrex 2800 staring at me.

@Kreutz it's like our minds are on a wire
The following solar power plant powers 30,000 households, and produces electricity 24 hours a day. It heats up a melted salt solution during the day, and the heated salt powers a turbine at night.

(You must click the blue words bellow the screen to watch the video.)

Solar power station in Spain works at night - YouTube

Old 06-17-2014, 08:36 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
I like the idea of solar and the cheaper it gets the better but if you are relying on it you are still going to be very cold in the winter.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:49 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,864,594 times
Solar efficiency needs to be improved to actually be useful for the majority of the US that don't have sun like Florida or SW US...

Old 06-17-2014, 08:57 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,732,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
The following solar power plant powers 30,000 households, and produces electricity 24 hours a day. It heats up a melted salt solution during the day, and the heated salt powers a turbine at night.

(You must click the blue words bellow the screen to watch the video.)

Solar power station in Spain works at night - YouTube

Oh yea? The Spaniards found out it wasn't so cheap after all.............
It has been a chastening experience. The government failed to cut subsidies when renewables were booming, so the cuts have had to be draconian. It imposed no cap on new capacity and stood by while that grew uncontrollably (this also happened in Germany). The promised jobs have vanished. The solar-energy business has lost tens of thousands of jobs from its peak. And after repeated retroactive cuts no one is willing to invest in renewable energy any more. Yet because projects often receive subsidies for 20 years, the costs remain. Even after the cuts, renewables subsidies are running at €7 billion-8 billion a year. It is not hard to think of better ways of spending such large sums of taxpayers’ money

Renewable energy in Spain: The cost del sol | The Economist

Old 06-17-2014, 09:11 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:

I'll get right on that....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies