Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Reinstate the draft?
Yes – We need a draft again 26 27.08%
No – Perpetual war is not an option 70 72.92%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 05:12 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,958,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Two-term limits for every office, and provide a limit campaigning to a series of ten separate hour long debates on relevant issues for every person running. Anyone who releases an attack advertisement is immediately ineligible from holding political office.

That would be a decent start
Why would politicians, the ones that have to pass this go along with term limits?
We would have to get behind potential political candidates that would be all for this.
The media runs on money, not charity and I doubt they would go against their best interests when they have political candidates shoveling money their way.

I am all for term limits by the way.

Our political culture runs on partisan attacks and partisan hacks in order to "blame" the other guy when anyone with 2 brain cells can see the dominant policies in Washington are a continuation from previous administrations.

The top elite would NEVER go for doing away with attacks on the "other" team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 05:14 PM

57,262 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
How would you propose to "fix it" ?
When election time comes, the highest bidders, being the ones that have showered politicians and the media with the most money need to be shunned. Right?
Picking the ones with not much money backing them is a "wasted vote" or just "crazy" as the media tells us.

But I agree that having the innocent die for these wars is wrong.
Pin a medal on them, or get praised by a politician and it makes all things right lol
A draft is a very easy solution, we never would have gone into Iraq if a draft was a requirement. How many honorable wars have we been in since WW2, exactly where was our intervention worthwhile.

Old 06-20-2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Good article from 2003 relative to the participation on the war.

A NATION AT WAR - CHILDREN OF LAWMAKERS - Senators' Sons in War - An Army of One - NYTimes.com
Imagine that. Shucks, who woulda thunk it.
What is there to loose when you have no skin in the game and have Corporate and Banking Lobbyists to shower you with money.

Old 06-20-2014, 05:16 PM

Quote:
A draft is a very easy solution, we never would have gone into Iraq if a draft was a requirement. How many honorable wars have we been in since WW2, exactly where was our intervention worthwhile.
A draft is an idea, but there is still corruption and graft where the well connected can get around it.

I would rather we back potential politicians that would make it a requirement for their offspring to be put on the front lines of any war.\

When the politicians offspring have to serve on the front lines, it cuts through all BS and they have to consider their sons and daughters lives over the Corporate and Banking Dollars showered their way.

Old 06-20-2014, 05:18 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Why would politicians, the ones that have to pass this go along with term limits?
We would have to get behind potential political candidates that would be all for this.
The media runs on money, not charity and I doubt they would go against their best interests when they have political candidates shoveling money their way.

I am all for term limits by the way.

Our political culture runs on partisan attacks and partisan hacks in order to "blame" the other guy when anyone with 2 brain cells can see the dominant policies in Washington are a continuation from previous administrations.

The top elite would NEVER go for doing away with attacks on the "other" team.
Oh, I agree. It will never happen, but it is the only thing that can actually fix what is wrong with our political system.

Getting rid of corruption when those at the top of the mountain are the ones corrupt is next to impossible.

Old 06-20-2014, 05:44 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,207,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
If we’re going to continue with our present course of perpetual war then shouldn't we reinstate the draft so all patriotic Americans get a chance to serve?

excuse me but they are the ONLY ones serving!!!!
I say hell yes drag the snotty nosed anti americian **** ants in

Old 06-20-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Oh, I agree. It will never happen, but it is the only thing that can actually fix what is wrong with our political system.

Getting rid of corruption when those at the top of the mountain are the ones corrupt is next to impossible.
The bright spot in all of this, if there is one, is the internet. Time to crack down on it or limit it via devious monetary means.

While they continue to do as the please, the internet is showing how truly corrupt these people are and that many of their propaganda slogans are falling on deaf ears and waking others up that thought they were only "working for our best interests"

I'm not sure where that leads, but considering they have at their disposal, many think tanks to see where the citizens thinking is going, and also the increasingly militarized police state, free speech zones, and infringing on our freedoms constantly tells me they already know.

Old 06-20-2014, 05:45 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,207,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
I didn't but we had a family member pay the ultimate price in Iraq.

and I thank them for the ultimate price!!!

Old 06-20-2014, 05:54 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
That is one flawed poll; yes mean what Op wants; as does No.

Old 06-20-2014, 05:57 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Afghanistan because of thousands of people killed in the first mainland act of war since the end of the Indian wars. The Taliban wouldn't send the Al Qedea leaders to us so we responded with a declared war. Now try telling me how an act of war like that SHOULDN'T lead to the type of war we had on Afghanistan...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies