Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 12:27 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
This is interesting. Conservatives getting high & mighty about a girl raped years ago yet any time this topic is brought up, they [conservatives] always blame the victim. Now suddently, because a democrat is involved in this story, their morally outraged? Hilarious!!
On what do you base this statement? Other than assumptions and stereotyping.

Last edited by ogre; 06-23-2014 at 12:55 PM..

Old 06-23-2014, 12:50 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
On what do you base this statement? Other than assumptions and stereotyping.
Go on any topic that involves a girl getting raped & you will find the typical conservatives blaming the victim. Also, if you listen or read the news, you'll see every day a con blaming the victim. It's basically fact.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Here's the Republican rape advisory chart.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/dk-productio...e_advisory.gif

Fewer than ten statements.

The last one was callous, but does not exactly "blame the victim." (I'd also be interested in knowing the circumstances of the last one as well, like whether it was said in private, since, callous as it is, it's an old joke, something that might be said among friends when they're in the mood to be crude, like dead baby jokes and the like.)

Only one statement (by Rivard) can be interpreted as blaming the victim. Even that is questionable, since the odd way that statement was worded makes the meaning a bit ambiguous.

The others? Well, I'd like to see you do an analysis of the words in those, that explains how any of them blame the victim. They don't. They are simply views that you apparently disagree with.

Hardly amounts to "conservatives" (whoever exactly they are) "always blam[ing] the victim."

Old 06-23-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Go on any topic that involves a girl getting raped & you will find the typical conservatives blaming the victim. Also, if you listen or read the news, you'll see every day a con blaming the victim. It's basically fact.
Examples, please.

And where this does happen, it sounds as if you automatically label the person who blames the victim a "typical conservative" (whatever exactly that is). Sounds like a conveniently contrived self-fulfilling prophecy.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:59 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
They sometimes have a point though. There was a rape case from Steubenville, OH that was discussed on this forum. The general consensus from conservatives was that the girl or her parents had some culpability because she went and got plastered with a bunch of jocks; they had a point there.

Old 06-23-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Examples, please.

And where this does happen, it sounds as if you automatically label the person who blames the victim a "conservative" (whatever exactly that is). Sounds like a conveniently contrived self-fulfilling prophecy.
Someone posted an example above. I have lurked on the political forum but refuse to post in there, it's filled with junk like that. I suppose I could waste my time & find you numerous examples but I kinda don't feel like it. It's funny that you don't believe it. I label the person a conservative because...they are. The evidence is literally everywhere. If you choose not to acknowledge that then oh well, I don't have the inclination to argue about it.

Old 06-23-2014, 01:20 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Examples, please.

And where this does happen, it sounds as if you automatically label the person who blames the victim a "typical conservative" (whatever exactly that is). Sounds like a conveniently contrived self-fulfilling prophecy.
You can't be this naive.

Old 06-23-2014, 01:22 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Well, if the libs say so. Seriously, do you people even listen to yourselves?

Old 06-23-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Well, if the libs say so. Seriously, do you people even listen to yourselves?
Maybe you should be more concerned about listening to your fellow cons views on women & rape.

Old 06-23-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Someone posted an example above.
You mean post 85? You can see my response to that in post 87.

Quote:
I have lurked on the political forum but refuse to post in there, it's filled with junk like that.
I share your sentiments about not posting on the P & OC forum, though I pretty much no longer even bother to lurk there. Problem is, you yourself say it's filled with "junk," yet now you use the "junk" you've seen there as examples of what supposedly conservatives in general "always" say on the subject of rape. Really weakens your case badly from the get-go if you have to refer to posts in that forum to back up your statement.

Quote:
I suppose I could waste my time & find you numerous examples but I kinda don't feel like it.
So you simply make a statement and then don't back it up with examples because you "kinda don't feel like it." It's true just because you say it is, I guess.

Quote:
I label the person a conservative because...they are.
Again, you just say so and that makes it so?

Do you know what I was getting at in my earlier post about a contrived self-fulfilling prophecy? To elaborate, your reasoning seems to be that you start with the assumption that people who blame the victim of a rape are conservatives, so then when you read something where someone blames the victim for a rape, you assume the person to be a "conservative," so that then becomes, in your view, another example that supports the notion that "conservatives" always blame the victim.

Quote:
The evidence is literally everywhere. If you choose not to acknowledge that then oh well, I don't have the inclination to argue about it.
I wonder whether you'd have more inclination if you could really back this up with solid examples, not something you claim you've seen from a bunch of nuts at the P & OC fourm.

Anyway, I sometimes forget all the terms for debate/logical fallacies. I believe your post which I first responded to, and really this whole detour we've taken, would be known as a red herring. Do I have that right? Isn't that the term that refers to a distraction from the main argument? Your blanket statement about "conservatives" really has nothing to do with Hillary Clinton and what her decisions and conduct in that legal case might or might not say about her character.

Last edited by ogre; 06-23-2014 at 01:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies