Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 05:35 AM

10,077 posts, read 7,754,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
City data is run by a private company, they can make English a requirement if they want to.
I know and I'm glad they have. Wish more people would. Like I said, if you want to communicate in the US, then learn to speak the most spoken language of English.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:17 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
The Citizenship test is in English unless:
"The law provides three exemptions from the English language requirement for naturalization. The exemptions are for applicants age 50 or over who have been permanent residents for at least 20 years; those at least age 55 with at least 15 years permanent residence; and those who have a mental or physical disability that prevents them from learning English. "
My in laws, long gone , came from Eastern Europe in 1950. They did not speak or understand English. They were employed, paid taxes, owned property and became citizens well before age 50.

This is very common in Eastern European neighborhoods. The old timers managed to function and become citizens without learning English in the 50's-60's. They had jobs working for bilingual supervisors ,shopped in neighborhood stores and their lives revolved around their church where services were in their native tongue.

Perhaps there was an exemption for certain immigrants arriving from occupation camps at one time.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:33 AM

2,887 posts, read 2,633,912 times
Keep it as it is and let the immigrants decide if they want to assimilate and become a part of the mainstream population or remain on the periphery at their own chosen disadvantage.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:31 AM

25,690 posts, read 18,773,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
What brings this to my attention is when I call a customer service dept. I used to be that if you wanted to speak to a Spanish speaking rep, you pressed 2. Now I'm finding more and more times when I call customer service, they are requiring that I press '1' to speak to an English speaking person. I find that odd since I'm calling within the US to a US company. Why am I asked to press 1? .
That's terrible. Pressing a button can be quite taxing.

Quote:
Sometimes I feel that Spanish at some point could become more spoken in this country than English.
Works for me. Prettier language, anyway. As a bonus, it would virtually end spelling problems and all the tax money we waste trying to teach kids one of the most illogical and exception-riddled spelling systems in the world. Imagine people knowing how to spell simply by using consistent logic and the sound of the word...

Old 06-21-2014, 07:34 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
That's terrible. Pressing a button can be quite taxing.

Works for me. Prettier language, anyway. As a bonus, it would virtually end spelling problems and all the tax money we waste trying to teach kids one of the most illogical and exception-riddled spelling systems in the world. Imagine people knowing how to spell simply by using consistent logic and the sound of the word...
Well English is the language of business and spoken all over the world in global business dealings.
Then again maybe it's America's future to not be part of it anymore.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:38 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
I know and I'm glad they have. Wish more people would. Like I said, if you want to communicate in the US, then learn to speak the most spoken language of English.
Which people who do move here do usually learn English, they might not be fluent when they first get here, but they do learn in. Though I have no issue if people who speak a foreign language to others that speak the same language.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:39 AM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
Keep it as it is and let the immigrants decide if they want to assimilate and become a part of the mainstream population or remain on the periphery at their own chosen disadvantage.
I disagree. If one migrates to this country and they don't want to assimilate then they have no business being here. "United we stand, divided we fall".

Old 06-21-2014, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I disagree. If one migrates to this country and they don't want to assimilate then they have no business being here. "United we stand, divided we fall".
How is speaking their native language to others that also speak the same language dividing our country?

Old 06-21-2014, 07:50 AM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
How is speaking their native language to others that also speak the same language dividing our country?
It is divisive in a public setting within earshot of others who don't speak that language.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It is divisive in a public setting within earshot of others who don't speak that language.
So hearing others speak a foreign language that aren't talking to you is divisive? That is a really odd statement to make. Why are you trying to listen to other people's conversations that don't involve you? Do you assume people talking in a foreign language are talking about you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies