Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 08:37 AM

10,097 posts, read 7,763,936 times

Advertisements

Should those entering the states attempt to learn the English language so they can communicate better in this country or should the responsibility fall on English speaking Americans to learn their language?

I would expect that if I moved to another country that I'd need to learn their language so I could communicate. It would be my responsibility. I wouldn't expect to put the responsibility on them to learn English.

What brings this to my attention is when I call a customer service dept. I used to be that if you wanted to speak to a Spanish speaking rep, you pressed 2. Now I'm finding more and more times when I call customer service, they are requiring that I press '1' to speak to an English speaking person. I find that odd since I'm calling within the US to a US company. Why am I asked to press 1?

Sure we are a country of diversity and immigrants and that's great and even though the US has never had an official language I feel right now most here speak English. Sometimes I feel that Spanish at some point could become more spoken in this country than English.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:40 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
The problem in the US is what we lack good immersion programs in this country. Providing English classes twice a week for 1-3 hours is not enough to learn. We complain about foreigners not assimilating to our country, but we don't provide the services needed to do just that. Germany has immersion schools that are very low cost, and supported by the government. Students go to class 5 days a week for several hours a day learning the language and culture of Germany. France has the same program, and so does South Korea for spouses of Korean nationals. We can't we have that? In fact, we don't we have that, being that we are the largest immigrant country on Earth? AFAIK, not a single state has any concrete program on how to deal with integration of foreigners.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:40 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,230,895 times
And here we go...

Old 06-20-2014, 10:41 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,106,357 times
I don't believe we should have an official national language as I believe language & culture is something left to the states and territories. I do believe that English should be strongly encouraged, I believe that Federal education grants to Puerto Rico should be contingent on increasing the rate of bilingualism and better English instruction in schools using teacher exchange programs and remote link language labs.

I believe in English Plus rather than English Only.

Old 06-20-2014, 11:56 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I don't believe we should have an official national language as I believe language & culture is something left to the states and territories. I do believe that English should be strongly encouraged, I believe that Federal education grants to Puerto Rico should be contingent on increasing the rate of bilingualism and better English instruction in schools using teacher exchange programs and remote link language labs.

I believe in English Plus rather than English Only.
I agree. Save English Only for, you know, England (Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland are debatable). At least they have a legitimate case to make for English Only. Us? Not so much.

As for Puerto Rico, I think there needs to be better English teaching there. The Spanish have a decent grasp of the English language, more than Puerto Rico does, and Spain is an independent country. That's pretty pathetic.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:31 PM

76 posts, read 139,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
Should those entering the states attempt to learn the English language so they can communicate better in this country or should the responsibility fall on English speaking Americans to learn their language?

I would expect that if I moved to another country that I'd need to learn their language so I could communicate. It would be my responsibility. I wouldn't expect to put the responsibility on them to learn English.

What brings this to my attention is when I call a customer service dept. I used to be that if you wanted to speak to a Spanish speaking rep, you pressed 2. Now I'm finding more and more times when I call customer service, they are requiring that I press '1' to speak to an English speaking person. I find that odd since I'm calling within the US to a US company. Why am I asked to press 1?

Sure we are a country of diversity and immigrants and that's great and even though the US has never had an official language I feel right now most here speak English. Sometimes I feel that Spanish at some point could become more spoken in this country than English.
Is it beneficial for immigrants to the US to learn English? Absolutely. Should you have to learn another language as a US citizen? No. Should you have to press another button when calling a customer service hotline? Who gives a s***. Those things make you choose from an obnoxious amount of options, the language is the least of it. If Spanish is "1" and English is "2", then you can start ranting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I agree. Save English Only for, you know, England (Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland are debatable). At least they have a legitimate case to make for English Only. Us? Not so much.
Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland all have indigenous languages. Save English only England only. If even.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:45 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:
The problem in the US is what we lack good immersion programs in this country.
Do we though?

Quote:
Providing English classes twice a week for 1-3 hours is not enough to learn.
It's not? Most college courses meet for less than that amount of time.

Quote:
We complain about foreigners not assimilating to our country, but we don't provide the services needed to do just that.
We offer free ESOL classes and free tutors, but you have to go to the classes. My mom was at a conversational level within 6 months and business proficiency within 2 years.

Quote:
Germany has immersion schools that are very low cost, and supported by the government. Students go to class 5 days a week for several hours a day learning the language and culture of Germany. France has the same program, and so does South Korea for spouses of Korean nationals. We can't we have that? In fact, we don't we have that, being that we are the largest immigrant country on Earth? AFAIK, not a single state has any concrete program on how to deal with integration of foreigners.
Good points.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:09 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,391,086 times
Learn English or be excluded. The rest of us are not going to bother accommodating you.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:17 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
Learn English or be excluded. The rest of us are not going to bother accommodating you.
Damn! That should be the republican election platform.

"You are different, We are not going to bother to accommodate you"

Everyone would be amazed at the blatant honesty.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:22 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
It is good for those coking from another country to learn English, but they shouldn't have to give up their native language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies