Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2014, 10:18 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,000,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
You obviously havent been keeping up on the experimental drug used to treat the Ebola patients in the US that appears to work quite well so far......son
Wonder who will pay to stock it up now.............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 10:31 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,930,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Wonder who will pay to stock it up now.............
Since the military sent them funding, a day before the guy took the secret serum (according to CNN dates), seems the tax payer is a likely candidate. The govt also appeared to be the holder of the patent I listed, as well.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:34 PM

37,111 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Actually, the quote I provided said "no treatment exists". I'm not sure how many ways you can interpret that. Yes, you can treat secondary infections, administer coagulants to prevent hemorrhaging and provide IV to stop dehydration, but none of these actions will necessarily do anything to actually save the life of the patient. The underlying virus has no known treatment.

As for the experimental drug, we'll see how well it corrects this condition. Brantly seems to be responding well to it. Writebol, not so much. The question remains whether Brantly's recovery was directly caused by the drug or not. He may just be in the lucky 30%.

Unless they were crawling into bed with their patients, I don't know how much more "up close and personal" you can get to someone, especially considering these were American aid workers taking every precaution to prevent exposure to the virus. I take it you have never flown economy before.
No, your source says no ebola-specific treatment. It does not say "no treatment exists". In fact, it says Treatment is primarily supportive in nature. The fact that there is not a specific anti-ebola drug does not mean that ebola cannot be treated at all. The supportive care can and does save lives. Why else do you think they do it?

You seem fixated on the idea that somehow Brantly and Writebol inhaled some ebola-containing miasma. The most likely scenario is something as simple as a hole in a glove and exposure to blood or failure to adequately decontaminate the protective gear that they have to reuse.

Yes, you could sit next to someone who has ebola in economy and not catch it if you did not get any of his bodily fluids on you.

'I would sit next to Ebola sufferer on Tube', says scientist who discovered deadly virus - Telegraph

Peter Piot, co-discoverer of ebola:

"I wouldn't be worried to sit next to someone with Ebola virus on the Tube as long as they don't vomit on you or something. This is an infection that requires very close contact."

Old 08-06-2014, 10:47 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,000,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Since the military sent them funding, a day before the guy took the secret serum (according to CNN dates), seems the tax payer is a likely candidate. The govt also appeared to be the holder of the patent I listed, as well.
Well of course it will be the taxpayer.

Old 08-07-2014, 02:02 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,099,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You seem fixated on the idea that somehow Brantly and Writebol inhaled some ebola-containing miasma. The most likely scenario is something as simple as a hole in a glove and exposure to blood or failure to adequately decontaminate the protective gear that they have to reuse.
No. I am pointing out that despite your claims of Ebola being rather difficult to catch that these two medical professionals managed to do just that despite wearing elaborate gear designed to keep them safe.

Quote:
Yes, you could sit next to someone who has ebola in economy and not catch it if you did not get any of his bodily fluids on you.
In other words, you are claiming that you can avoid catching Ebola while in close proximity to someone suffering the disease provided you avoid exposure to his or her bodily fluids. If he sweats, sneezes or coughs on you, or violently vomits into a motion sickness bag and splatters some on you, or starts hemorrhaging blood out one or more orifices and drips some on you, you run a fairly high risk of catching an extremely lethal malaise that (to date) has no known effective cure. A malaise, I might add, that is contagious enough to infect American health care workers who are both educated and equipped to minimize the risk of infection.

Makes perfect sense, that.

On another note, Lagos as reported its first cases of the disease. Seeing how Lagos is the most populated city in sub-Saharan Africa, it should be a good litmus test as to how fast the virus spreads in a large, densely populated urban environment. If, as you claim, you can sit right next to someone suffering progressed stages of the disease without worry of contracting it, we really should have nothing to worry about. Right?

Old 08-07-2014, 02:23 AM

15,529 posts, read 10,496,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Mapp Biopharmaceutical

Old 08-07-2014, 07:14 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
You take in some ebola effected folks then...........fly em over and take care of em hero. Just unreal how people support ebola. If ebola ran for office they would vote for it.
You've made some outlandish remarks before, but this takes the cake.

No one supports Ebola.

Ebola is a dreadful virus. Which is why I have compassion and empathy for those who get infected with the virus. Just like I have compassion and empathy for someone with cancer, or someone injured in an accident. There's nothing unreal about feeling for your fellow human beings.

What I find unreal are the people like yourself who evidently lack the qualities of compassion and empathy, and who try to put down those of us who do have those qualities.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:17 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
No. I am pointing out that despite your claims of Ebola being rather difficult to catch that these two medical professionals managed to do just that despite wearing elaborate gear designed to keep them safe.

It's likely that they weren't wearing the elaborate gear when they got infected. I'm sure it boggles the mind to think that healthcare workers don't wear protective suits 24/7.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:19 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Well this outbreak of ebola took it to a global level of awareness.
It's not in remote areas anymore and but one plane ride away.

This time other first world countries have worries as travelers coming home need isolation and testing.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:26 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,223,091 times
We're all gonna die!

Last edited by Marka; 08-15-2014 at 11:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies