Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 09:33 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,539,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; "Fighting Irish" WAS insulting because it implied we were all just hooligans and drunkards. Not so much in 2014 tho.
Except, that isnt what the nick name means at all.

The Fighting Irish are called so because they are named after a Civil War Brigade that literally fuoght in a war.

it has nothing to do with hooligans or drunkards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
And just the opposite can be claimed.

Your argument is that the word is offensive simply because you are offended by it, that is flawed logic at its worst!
Actually no, thats not the exact opposite, because im not claiming that you have to be offended by it just because I am.

Where as the people on this site seem to be claiming that if everyone isnt offended, then it doesnt matter.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
My point to that poster if you'd been following along.
But yeah I erred on the Polish one.
He is disagreeing with your point.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:39 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,868,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Redskins is offensive, period.
Only to those offended; and those offended choose to be offended.

Those choosing to be offended, apparently wish to be part of the Anglo-Saxonity that destroyed them.

It would almost seem as though America is filled with winners and whiners.

A very tribal bunch, those "Americans".

Old 06-21-2014, 09:41 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,868,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Except, that isnt what the nick name means at all.

The Fighting Irish are called so because they are named after a Civil War Brigade that literally fuoght in a war.

it has nothing to do with hooligans or drunkards.
The Kennedys were murdered by the Anglos (Bush and J. Edgar).

Carroll College - "The Fighting Saints!".

Last edited by Hyperthetic; 06-21-2014 at 10:01 AM..

Old 06-21-2014, 09:57 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post

Only to white liberals
White liberals are the reason anything is offensive to anyone. While others have to work for a living and worry about life, white liberal progressives dream up stuff that has never bothered anyone in the past and push it in their faces while holding press conferences about how offensive their dreamed up topic is. It's along the lines of legal commercials and lawyers fishing for frivolous law suits.

So now - since Obama has taken office - Redskins is offensive for the first time since I have lived in the DC area. I have never seen fans doing Warrior chants and imitating tomahawk chopping as they do in Atlanta during Braves games.

I guess the Indians, Seminoles, Braves and other teams are next on the chopping block.
What do we call redskin potatoes/peanuts now?

Good thing I am a fan of the Orioles and Cowboys. No one seems interested in the outrage expressed by birds or white men in 10 gallon hats on horses.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:57 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,399,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Are you offended enough to DEMAND the Navajo Rez change ITS sports teams name to something that ain't "Redskins"?

"Yet not all Native Americans oppose the term Redskins. Capital News Service identified three majority Native American high schools that use it proudly, including Red Mesa High School in Arizona.

“Being from Native American culture, [the term] is not derogatory,” said Tommie Yazzie, superintendent of the school district that oversees Red Mesa High School. He identified himself as a “full-blooded Navajo.”

Red Mesa High School is located on a Navajo reservation, and 99.3 percent of its students are Native American, according to the National Center for Education Statistics."

Read more at The Other Redskins: High Schools Debate Dropping a Controversial Mascot - ICTMN.com

In the same interview you quote Mr. Tommie Yazzie, he also says:

Quote:
Though he said it was acceptable for schools with majority Native American populations to use the name Redskins, he believes that non‐Native American schools should avoid using it.

“If you were to put this in an urban area where the population is basically white, unless there is a cultural connection, it would be inappropriate,” he said.

He was also troubled by the use of Native American war chants and gestures during sporting events, something that is common at other schools with Native American mascots.

“We don’t use those gestures and traditions. As Navajos we have respect for warfare. Warfare means taking a life. And when a young warrior goes out to battle, [the gestures and war chants] belong there,” he said. “When you come back into civilian life, you don’t take that back with you. You don’t use the same type of gestures and hollering and bring that back into a sporting event.”
In other words, he would find the Washington Redskin name offensive. I am not Native American, if Mr. Tommie Yazzie does not deem it appropriate for non-native Americans to use the name Redskins or other Native Americans are offended by the name Redskins for a team name, then who am I to disagree with them.

As an aside, if I had written I am not a "redskin" would that have been offensive? I believe it definitely would be.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:58 AM

2,801 posts, read 2,309,466 times
New team named the Negroes ... Mascot/Icon is a Sambo .... Tick-tock before someone is offended and complains to a Mod and this post is deleted.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:03 AM

7,081 posts, read 8,944,937 times
I hope this pissing match over team names does not lead to pressure on the Chicago Blackhawks to change their name. Reason being is they are an original six team and in the NHL it's a big deal.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:07 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,997,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Cry me a river......

Cleveland Browns..... offending turds everywhere!

CHANGE IT!!!
If its Brown flush it down!
Go BENGALS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies