Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2014, 09:45 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,528,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Fighting Irish implies that Irish people are violent, therefore it is offensive.
No it doesnt because the Nick name is based on an Irish Civil war brigade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 09:48 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
It doesn't matter what the name means to you. It's offensive to peaceful Irish people.
We arent talking about what the name means to me, were are actually talking about the reason the school named its sports teams that.

It has nothing to do with what you claimed, you were just dead wrong, and instead of admitting you, you tried unsuccessfully to deflect.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:00 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
New team named the Negroes ... Mascot/Icon is a Sambo .... Tick-tock before someone is offended and complains to a Mod and this post is deleted.
Uh; a "Negro" WAS the coach of Da Bulls; that was Vinnie's last name AND he's a "white" man! LOL!

Old 06-21-2014, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
In the same interview you quote Mr. Tommie Yazzie, he also says:

In other words, he would find the Washington Redskin name offensive. I am not Native American, if Mr. Tommie Yazzie does not deem it appropriate for non-native Americans to use the name Redskins or other Native Americans are offended by the name Redskins for a team name, then who am I to disagree with them.

As an aside, if I had written I am not a "redskin" would that have been offensive? I believe it definitely would be.
Then NO 1 should be allowed to use "Redskins", not even Rez Indians. Many of the Fighting Irish ain't white let alone of "Irish" family, hell some of the Notre Dame players are Black dudes but that's Ok to still keep using that "slur"??

Old 06-21-2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
Redskins comes from an era in which casual racism was the norm. He probably never gave whether the name was offensive much thought one way or the other, but we do know for a fact he was a racist, he had to be forced to integrate the team.
So did "Fighting Irish". Sheesh!

Old 06-21-2014, 10:05 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,184,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
So did "Fighting Irish". Sheesh!

The Fighting Irish name was given to the sports teams of an Irish Catholic school by the Irish Catholics who ran the school.

You're the second person on the same page of this thread to try and make this incredibly stupid comparison.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
"We're one of a kind. No one else probably in the nation or the world has a name like that. We feel pretty special. There's many Eagles and Panthers and Cougars and Fighting Irish. We're Halfbreeds."

That'll cause some peoples heads to explode! LOL!

Old 06-21-2014, 10:15 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Some are offended that Dallas claims their football team are cowboys. Other that UT is called longhorns; bunch of bull they say. Not to mention the Aggies; I don't even want to mention in mixed company.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:20 PM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Precisely! Alas, being offended by something, anything, seems to have become the new normal and bellwether, status symbol. "Look at me. I'm sensitive because I'm offended. Aren't I special?"
Exactly.

When did this country become such a bunch of whiny pantywaists?

Someone please show me exactly what part of the Constitution or Bill of Rights says that you have a right to never be offended.
I've looked and believe me....... It's not in there.

Old 06-22-2014, 12:01 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I think the coolest thing ever is when you take a racist name away from the racist and make it your own.

In the case of the Redskins the racist is who wants to take the name away...white liberal progressives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies