Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 09:52 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times

Advertisements

Because dissolution in the pursuit of ideological, racial, or whatever purity is a fool's errand. People are different, and have varying ideas, and if we start trying to say we could break up to be with our kind, it can go all the way down to the town, even family level. Think of families that disagree (you know, the gay uncle and the born again brother who argue over tofurkey and turkey at Thanksgiving, etc.).
We are a great country, and our strength is our diversity. When we stop respecting that, we will become smaller, and less relevant. I mean who the hell cares what Kansas or Texas or New Jersey thinks on a global stage?

Think about our President. Is he a black man? A tight-assed Midwesterner? Who cares! He is an American. He/we can own all of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 10:01 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,172,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Because dissolution in the pursuit of ideological, racial, or whatever purity is a fool's errand. People are different, and have varying ideas, and if we start trying to say we could break up to be with our kind, it can go all the way down to the town, even family level. Think of families that disagree (you know, the gay uncle and the born again brother who argue over tofurkey and turkey at Thanksgiving, etc.
At one time the US worked like that. Now it's like different family members trying to hold other family members prisoner and force them to live the way they want instead of simply arguing but everyone going home to do their own thing at the end of the day.

I really do fear a violent breakup of the US in the next few decades. I'd much rather see a peaceful separation than that.

Old 06-20-2014, 11:59 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,906,557 times
I'd rather just purge the criminal anti-American conservatives. Lincoln got that right. Beat them over the head until they're dragged, kicking and screaming, into the modern world. If they don't like it then the anti-American conservatives need to leave the country themselves not attempt treason. The failed state of Somalia follows their sick and twisted ideology so they can f' off there if they like.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:24 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Because we are a much more powerful of a country as a united country than we would be as 50 individual countries. This country was founded on states banding together to be one regardless of their differences, something we still follow to this day.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:31 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I know I'm not directly answering the question, but what would be the advantage of not remaining united? To me, the disadvantages of splitting up would be much greater than the advantages.
Wouldn't it be nice to be the free country of California? The California that could legalize marijuana if they like, offer free health insurance if they like, offer gay marriage if they like, offer abortions to anyone who wants one, create strict measures to ensure a low carbon footprint, allow a fully open-door immigration policy to California, etc? You wouldn't have Conservatives blocking things in Congress, the Koch Bros would be a non-story for Californians, etc. etc. It'd essentially be the go-to model of one party, Progressive living wouldn't it?

Old 06-21-2014, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Wouldn't it be nice to be the free country of California? The California that could legalize marijuana if they like, offer free health insurance if they like, offer gay marriage if they like, offer abortions to anyone who wants one, create strict measures to ensure a low carbon footprint, allow a fully open-door immigration policy to California, etc? You wouldn't have Conservatives blocking things in Congress, the Koch Bros would be a non-story for Californians, etc. etc. It'd essentially be the go-to model of one party, Progressive living wouldn't it?
Cascadia would probably be a thriving liberal-libertarian country as well in the Northwest.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:08 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Because we are a much more powerful of a country as a united country than we would be as 50 individual countries. This country was founded on states banding together to be one regardless of their differences, something we still follow to this day.
You seem out of touch with Progressive ideology. The concept of National Sovereignty in the age of Globalization must be reconsidered & ceded. It is an antiquated concept, much like the US Constitution.

Why wouldn't an American Union would be a better fit? i.e. New Yorkers could have their own free country, where all their Progressive ideologies could be freely applied in the integrated global economy, yet still be a member of the American Union for military defense. Why wouldn't you want to separate yourself from the RWNJ's in Idaho?

Old 06-21-2014, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
You seem out of touch with Progressive ideology. The concept of National Sovereignty in the age of Globalization must be reconsidered & ceded. It is an antiquated concept, much like the US Constitution.

Why wouldn't an American Union would be a better fit? i.e. New Yorkers could have their own free country, where all their Progressive ideologies could be freely applied in the integrated global economy, yet still be a member of the American Union for military defense. Why wouldn't you want to separate yourself from the RWNJ's in Idaho?
I don't think you know what progressive ideology is, though it isn't the same as right wing ideology that acts like reality should mold around their warped ideology. We liberals and progressives understand reality and differences, and that ideologies don't always match reality.

I wouldn't want to separate my liberal states from the rest of the state's because that would make us weaker as a country, and why would we need a Union if we were separate countries? Would you want to have to deal with border patrols every time you crossed state lines? Or have to go through Customs every time you fly from one stare to the next?

Old 06-21-2014, 01:23 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I would like people's opinions as to why the United States should continue as is. I would like to know why Mississippi should be in the same country as New Jersey. Why Vermont should be in the same country as South Carolina, etc. Rather than banter about conspiracy theories about secessionist movements and the like, I just want to know the reason why we're still together. We clearly don't have a common culture, we don't have common religious beliefs, we don't have common goals, and we don't have common views on the role of government. What gives? What's keeping us together?

And remember, this is a WHY question.
The entire premise of a Federal Republic is to allow the people within their states to determine their own laws. The Federal Government is mandated to make sure they remain ethical, protect human rights through the Constitution, secures our borders, protects commerce, and defends our interests both here and abroad.

Your questioning smacks of an underlying better than thou attitude. As if red states shouldn't be a part of the USA. The USA, after all, is the melting pot of the world.

We have never been as divided as we were during the civil war. Yet we prevailed and came out stronger with a blood payment of more than 2 million citizens.

It's kind of ridiculous for you to question such a thing, really.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:30 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I don't think you know what progressive ideology is, though it isn't the same as right wing ideology that acts like reality should mold around their warped ideology. We liberals and progressives understand reality and differences, and that ideologies don't always match reality.
Is that a joke?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies