Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 08:53 AM

4,396 posts, read 4,890,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Texas will be leading the parade but the rest will soon follow along with this stupidity. It's going to get a lot worse before any impetus to effect common sense will even begin gather.

No choice now but for you all to run out the string you've chosen.

By the time it's finished it'll make the death counts from all wars seem like nothing more than a speed bump.
Stupidity? Really? Sounds like the homeowner was just following the advice of Joe Biden and blindly shooting into the darkness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHZ7zXLvOkY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 09:01 AM

2,234 posts, read 1,751,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Stupidity? Really? Sounds like the homeowner was just following the advice of Joe Biden and blindly shooting into the darkness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHZ7zXLvOkY
Pretty much and Biden is an idiot. He said to take a loaded "double" barrel shotgot outside the home and to fire 2 shots which is against the law in most states AND that would leave you with a unloaded paper weight.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:04 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,007,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
Again and in English this time this time...

First of all, open carrying a firearm is not threatening anyone. threatening someone with a gun is highly illegal and is called brandishing a weapon. If the very site of a firearm frightens you, than that is your own personal problem and not the fault of lawful gun owners. If you do not like open carry laws, then vote to do something about it.

Next, the home owner reportedly fired on police who did NOT identify themselves and were trespassing on their property. That is all we know other than the fact that the homeowners were not arrested which tells me a lot like theirs more to the story. Not enough information was given to decide whether the home owner acted like a "clown" or if the shooting was justified.
So... just shooting at somebody who's trespassing on your property makes you a responsible gun owner? Right... Geez, I hope nobody ever gets stranded near your property and goes up to your house to ask to use the phone or something... I guess they'd get shot, but that's okay...

Old 06-22-2014, 09:05 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,827,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Of course that is true. That's why I support mandatory training before you are allowed to carry a gun in public { which is already the case in most states }.
How about mandatory training before you are allowed to own a gun, period?

Quote:
That's why I support the National Shooting Sports Foundation proposal to FixNICS that would require states to report ALL disqualifying offenses to the background check system . That's why I support the NRA's effort to require all states report disqualifying mental health records to the background check system.
The NRA talks a good game when it comes to background checks, but they have worked hard to make sure none of those measures ever pass. Manchin-Toomey is their latest win. The NRA's efforts have been and continue to be obstructionist to any and all attempts to reign in gun violence by even the smallest measure. Their actions belie their pretend "support" for background checks or anything else that addresses the epidemic of gun violence in this country.

Quote:
So, are you going to show a little respect now or are you going to continue on making things up to justify your disrespect? I won't hold my breath.
I do not dispute that there are responsible gun owners out there--I'm sure there are. Those aren't the people we're talking about here. All of you responsible owners should be the ones leading the charge for stricter regulations to get guns out of the hands of these idiots because they make you all look bad. But that would involve taking on the NRA, and I don't see that happening.

Last edited by HeyJude514; 06-22-2014 at 09:14 AM..

Old 06-22-2014, 10:20 AM

58,583 posts, read 26,901,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
So... just shooting at somebody who's trespassing on your property makes you a responsible gun owner? Right... Geez, I hope nobody ever gets stranded near your property and goes up to your house to ask to use the phone or something... I guess they'd get shot, but that's okay...
Does trespassing on someone else's property give YOU any rights?

How do you know this is NOT a high crime area? Or any thing else about the area?

Your "jump to conclusions" attitude doesn't bode well with your credibility.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:22 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,007,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Does trespassing on someone else's property give YOU any rights?

How do you know this is NOT a high crime area? Or any thing else about the area?

Your "jump to conclusions" attitude doesn't bode well with your credibility.
Lol... isn't there something in the list of firearm safety rules regarding making sure of your target before aiming a loaded gun at it, much less pulling the trigger?

http://training.nra.org/nra-gun-safety-rules.aspx

Know your target and what is beyond.
Be absolutely sure you have identified your target beyond any doubt. Equally important, be aware of the area beyond your target. This means observing your prospective area of fire before you shoot. Never fire in a direction in which there are people or any other potential for mishap. Think first. Shoot second.

But, no - let's just shoot whoever happens to be trespassing on my property and hope everything works out for the best. Besides, the guy "made me feel threatened" and since I have a gun, apparently that gives me the right to shoot him... whoever he is...

Sorry, but endorsing that level of careless or gung-ho behavior doesn't bode well for your credibility regarding responsible firearm ownership.

Old 06-22-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
But, no - let's just shoot whoever happens to be trespassing on my property and hope everything works out for the best. Besides, the guy "made me feel threatened" and since I have a gun, apparently that gives me the right to shoot him... whoever he is...
And not to worry, if they really aren't on his property, or if someone is randomly walking by at that moment, the bullet will stop right there at the property line and drop harmlessly to the ground.

Old 06-22-2014, 11:16 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,291,001 times
Quote:

Again, read the full description of the incident from OP's link:

Quote:
Sheriff's deputies and a homeowner exchanged gunfire late Thursday night while the deputies looked for a suspect in far West El Paso County, officials said.
The homeowner, whose name was not released, did not realize the deputies were law enforcement officers looking for a man in the area and fired at them, officials said. The deputies then returned fire.
No one was injured.
That's it. We don't even know for sure whether the deputies were on the homeowner's property. There's not enough detail there to begin to know whether the homeowner or cops were at fault. We do know that he has not been charged. That could mean that the cops did something wrong, or it could mean that they're just making sure that they have ducks in a row before they charge him.

We don't know.

Old 06-22-2014, 11:54 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,149,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
So let's just shoot out into the darkness whenever we hear something we can't identify. Sounds like a plan.

This is what you get when you let anybody and everybody have a gun. You get idiots like this one who have no business with a weapon. I can't believe there were no charges leveled at this fool. The next time he just might hit someone.

really? if you know for sure that everyone in your home is behind you, and you hear someone breaking in, would you not shoot?

I sure as hell would be shooting.

Old 06-22-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
really? if you know for sure that everyone in your home is behind you, and you hear someone breaking in, would you not shoot?

I sure as hell would be shooting.
No one was breaking in to any homes in this situation. The shooter was shooting into the darkness at an unknown target.

But I applaud your attempt at deflection, as feeble as it was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies