Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 02:12 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times

Advertisements

no maybe i am being unfair, here is what he said:

Quote:
I sorta flowcharted it in my head:

Can I create something that will sell (e.g. art, music, crafts)? --> NO
Can I sell a product FTF for someone (inside or outside sales) --> NO
Can I sell a product online? --SURE

I decided to resell used items online (low entry cost), after two failed attempts (one in a fad item which was very popular for a few years then fizzled, one in a huge category where I couldn't buy cheap enough to make money) I found a niche category where I could exploit a paucity of buyer information to buy low and then sell higher by providing the information the buyers were not given the first time.
So I am mischaracterizing what he said. Sort of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 05:26 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? Please explain how that will create greater demand. Hard to believe you actually wrote that.

If I understand your thinking correctly, then there is nothing wrong with government implementing policies which cause the price of electricity to necessarily skyrocket because, hey people can always relocate to a place with fewer regulations and lower electricity costs.
You said....

Quote:
??? I never believed for a second that $60 TRILLION in cash even exists. I imagine that about 98% of that is in assets rather than in cash.

But you claim to know a thing or two about Economics and specifically about Supply and Demand. What do you expect the supply of rentable rooms - and rents charged for those rooms - to do when a college town changes the number of unrelated individuals allowed to occupy a house from 4 or 5 to 2 or 3?
That action means 1 to 3 people per unit are now seeking rental units.

40 people in 10 units.

That gets cut to 20 people in 10 units, the other 20 people are now seeking units. That increases demand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Some times the obvious still has to be pointed out to people.
What, that you obviously lied?

I am thrilled to have the opportunity to point out your lies.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
We've sent what was once good paying jobs oversea's.
You never sent jobs overseas.....the Laws of Economics forced those jobs overseas.

It's not just semantics...

Mircea

Old 06-26-2014, 05:43 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:

You never sent jobs overseas.....the Laws of Economics forced those jobs overseas.

Mircea
We can manufacture $50 plastic shoes at a profit here and give people jobs so even they can afford them.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:11 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
And look at you drilling holes in the ground and letting the water get all over and create mud pits!lol
LOL.....they would love for us to haul our mud to a toxic waste site......I am not kidding....if this ever happens very few people will be able to afford a water well.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:14 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
Then why is my job history full of menial labor-intensive jobs? (like floor care and cleaning restrooms)
Those are candy jobs...try a job where you get real dirty and sweat.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:32 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Because you defaulted on your loans and trashed your credit rating. Employers look at things like that because it's an indication of how responsible and disciplined the prospective employee is, as well as how judiciously they make life and financial decisions. Those are problem-solving and critical thinking skills, two of the key attributes an employer is looking for.

??? These were jobs I had when I was in school and after school before I defaulted. Interestingly - I have no idea why - my student loans have NEVER been on my credit report, before or after default. How is inability to pay due to a health collapse and extended total loss of income irresponsible when I paid timely as long as I was able to work? Did I abruptly go from responsible to irresponsible? Does this mean that millions of Americans are "temporarily responsible" only as long as they are able to work and earn money?

Old 06-26-2014, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Those are candy jobs...try a job where you get real dirty and sweat.

I had one of those jobs; literally flipping burgers at a high-volume burger joint on 8 Mile. There is a vast FIRE sector across the street and we were SLAMMED every weekday during lunchtime. Every day I left work dirty and smelly and sweaty. The evening shift was ridiculously slow so that's where our lightweight employees were scheduled. Not like drilling wells, but the day shift was not for lightweights.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
You said....

That action means 1 to 3 people per unit are now seeking rental units.

40 people in 10 units.

That gets cut to 20 people in 10 units, the other 20 people are now seeking units. That increases demand.

Mircea

The existing licensed rentals were grandfathered, so they retained their existing occupancy levels so they continued to house four or five people. There are, of course, ways grandfathering can be lost (e.g. lapse of rental license, substantial damage to structure) but the greater short-term effect was in bringing rental conversions and new licenses to a virtual halt. The new occupancy restrictions did not apply to families - only to unrelated individuals - but families were unwilling to live in a student rental neighborhood at the exorbitant rents demanded.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
He constantly goes on about being a burger flipper, too.

Once I was a literal burger flipper but now I'm merely a metaphorical burger flipper.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:29 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,727,707 times
Quote:
Once I was a literal burger flipper but now I'm merely a metaphorical burger flipper.
There is a place up the road from me, all it is is a red caboose that sells hamburgers, hotdogs and fries. They are doing very well, the place is almost always packed. Just brainstorming for burger flippers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies