Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 08:08 AM

27,212 posts, read 46,720,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
No we aren't, you're living with the US Constitution. If you don't like it change it, I encourage you to make it an election issue ASAP.
Exactly!They are free to move to Holland where there is a no gun law and daily people die to criminals robbing or killing others with the use of a gun that they can't buy in a gun store and the victims have nothing to protect themselves with and the criminals are aware of that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 09:57 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,150,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I'm the last person here that would want to be seen as a Hillary supporter, but in this case I don't believe "viewpoint control" is the intent of her commentary here.
Then you need to go back and review Billary from about 1994 onward.

She has been a constant ardent advocate of "viewpoint control."

Why do you think I posted the video?

Do you even get the video?

It isn't merely that Billary was calling for government to have more "viewpoint control" over the US media than they already have, it's that the clip was broadcast in another foreign State, because your lame-stream Media wouldn't show it.

Get it?

Your own lame Media wouldn't show Americans a video of Billary testifying before a congressional committee that the government needs more media control.....

....instead, Americans have to go to other foreign countries to get news about their damn government and what their government trying to do.

Quote:
We're not talking about the Constitution here in it's entirety, just an Amendment which is the source of perpetual debate as to intent....
You mean the Straw Man Arguments? The intent of the 2nd Amendment, as well as the other 9 Amendments and the entire Constitution is crystal clear....you just have to read what the Framer's wrote and discussed in their committee notes, letters and diaries.

In modern legal jargon, it's called "Legislative History."

Why was EMTALA enacted? To give poor people and illegal immigrants "free" healthcare?

No, wrong.....read the legislative history; the committee notes, and the testimony before Congress.

You have EMTALA, because people --- just like you --- who had insurance were sent to the nearest hospital, which was often "Out-of-Network." And then you died en route while being transported to another hospital that was "In-Network"....and all because you had the wrong health plan coverage.

Quote:
... and which has outlived it's relevance by a hundred years.
Really.....there hasn't been a dictatorship or totalitarian regime in more than 100 years?

Is that what you're saying?

The purpose of the 2nd Amendment is to defend against would-be dictators in the US, not hunt pheasant.

You are already living in a Police State.

The first thing the Police State does is purge all non-believers.....any bureaucrat who does not subscribe to The Paradigm™ is purged.....you know, that's why Lenin exiled Trotsky.

That is why whistle-blowers are being attacked, vilified and prosecuted.

And then what you see, what you hear and what you read in the Media is filtered, censored, and controlled; everything else is spin.

Those people seen being shot by police? Never happened.....that was merely an exercise in which citizens were attempting to catch bullets with their bare hands; many failed, suffering serious injury; and then they later succumbed to their injuries.

Pointedly...

Mircea

Old 06-23-2014, 11:49 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,710,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
"Shall not be infringed!"

You can pretend it's lost relevance but you're deluded, and dangerous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
The 2nd Amendment is quite clear. We have the right to keep and bear arms and that right is necessary for us to remain free.
To remain free? And I'm the one who is deluded? Lol!

You and I both know that the left has been on a virtually unimpeded steady march for decades....slashing and obliterating any freedoms that formerly stood in its path. Our "freedom" today is but a smoldering, crumbled foundation where a palace once stood. So exactly who or what are you holding at bay with your guns?

Knee-jerk inflexible stances held by the fringe right on guns, religion, and big business that brand conservatives as kooks are the fuel that has powered the left for more than 20 years on its quest to turn reality on its head throughout what once was America. And they thank you for it as they simply couldn't have done it without your help.

Pro-gun zealots are their own worst enemies in two key ways. Their advocacy creates and perpetuates the very deadly threat that they so fear. And the politics of their petrified stance only strengthens the one true significant threat remaining in 2014 to their future freedom.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:56 AM

13,601 posts, read 21,384,844 times
Quote:
We're not talking about the Constitution here in it's entirety, just an Amendment which is the source of perpetual debate as to intent and which has outlived it's relevance by a hundred years.

Someday the advocacy of long range killing machines for all will be clearly seen for the barbarism and the pure lunacy that it is in 2014.

So if not for all, then you must support "some", so then who deserves the right to "long range killing machines" as you describe a firearm lol? Does Obama and Bush deserve them? How about Putin?

What has changed in human nature that it is now irrelevant as you call it? Maybe you think we live in some golden enlightened human age now but I don't see it, look at the news on any given day and you see that man is just as corrupt and violent now as was then.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:36 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,401,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
What has changed in human nature that it is now irrelevant as you call it? Maybe you think we live in some golden enlightened human age now but I don't see it, look at the news on any given day and you see that man is just as corrupt and violent now as was then.
There is the problem in this country.

I don't watch the news. It is littered with bull****.

Humans are safest now than they have ever been in human history. Ever. It is sad that people in this country go to sleep with their guns out of fear. What are they afraid of?

Old 06-23-2014, 03:20 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,027,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post

Humans are safest now than they have ever been in human history. Ever. It is sad that people in this country go to sleep with their guns out of fear. What are they afraid of?
The article you linked was talking about armed conflicts around the globe, not crime in US urban areas which still exists in varying levels depending on the number of Obama supporters there are in any given area.

I don't know anyone who "goes to sleep with their gun out of fear" nor do I own firearms because I'm afraid of anything. I'm simply better prepared for things than you are, you just believe that to be fear because you are ignorant.

Old 06-23-2014, 03:51 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,211,852 times
Quote:

Hmmm I own guns and don't sleep with them or in fear. I don't know many who do. Do you?
I do question why I should be penalized for the actions of a very few.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:30 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,384,844 times
Quote:

Right now it is sunny and nice outside weather wise, that doesn't mean it ill be tomorrow. Just because things seem calm (calmer) now with mankind's politics, ambition and less violence doesn't mean mankind has transformed into some golden and advanced being mentally. You and I live in a 1st world society but it is thin , given the right events mankind even in 1st world countries would become barbaric and controlling over others again.

I don't know why some of you think that something like the 2nd amendment is outdated, as if mankind has evolved beyond corruption, cruelty and to take advantage or control over others given the chance. Maybe you wish it to be so but it isn't and won't be for a long long time if ever.

Which brings me to a point that some of those who believe that a citizen should be banned from a weapon say a rifle or handgun like crownvic suggested, have no problem with government having them when most of the violence and war in this world stems from them or it. I could understand a mindset if they were saying disarm EVERYBODY including governments and the self proclaimed "special people" but some fairytale wise believe that the chosen "special people" like government would always act properly. Of course Clinton believes she is one of those "special people"....lol.

But hey, in the last year or twowe have "progressed" from "we aren't taking your guns away stop being paranoid" to Obama saying Australia got it right and now some of you suggesting ditching or rewriting the 2nd, so I guess that is what be a "progressive" really is.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:45 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,350,760 times
Quote:

....Someday the advocacy of long range killing machines for all will be clearly seen for the barbarism and the pure lunacy that it is in 2014.
You can say that, but there has been a raging debate over gun control for the past 50 years (especially the last 25) and your side has been able to persuade precious few.

Gallup reported 3 years ago that support for increased gun control was at an all time low:
Gallup: Gun control drops to lowest level of support ever « Hot Air

After Florida enacted concealed carry in in 1987, there was a wave of states that followed. In 1986 there were 10 states that had concealed carry for any non-felon, non-mentally ill who wanted it. By 2013 there were 41:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi.../9/96/Rtc2.gif

Prior to around 1980 there had been little legal scholarship on the Second Amendment. It was ignored by legal scholars much like the Third Amendment (quartering of soldiers). After 1980, the research was done, and the consensus emerged that the Second Amendment conveyed an individual right, sometimes called the 'NRA model.' Law prof Laurence Tribe changed his influential textbook on Constitutional law in 2000 to reflect this.

John Milton said, “Let her[truth] and Falsehood grapple; who ever knew Truth put to the worse in a free and open encounter?” Gun-rights advocates and gun-control advocates have been grappling for 50 years in the US. The gun-control advocates have overwhelmingly been 'put to the worse.'

Old 06-23-2014, 04:53 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,553,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
John Milton said, “Let her[truth] and Falsehood grapple; who ever knew Truth put to the worse in a free and open encounter?” Gun-rights advocates and gun-control advocates have been grappling for 50 years in the US. The gun-control advocates have overwhelmingly been 'put to the worse.'

What I can't stand is they, the gun-control advocates, keep repeating the same discredited studies over and over again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies