Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 05:29 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It's one thing to say something stupid. It's quite another keeping it on repeat.
I'm sorry, did I miss something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 06:14 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I'm sorry, did I miss something?
Any semblance of facts.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:31 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Note: today, the 84 year old rep from NY Charlie Rangel is running for congress...

One question: why are people in this country considered too old to work at 45, yet politicians in their 90s are still "fresh" and ready to run? Isn't that strange?
'Fresh? No, ready to run, that is his choice.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:38 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
So... either you didn't click on the YouTube link and listen to Ron Paul's own words and instead think that I "made it up," or you think that our society - where about 75% of the people are living paycheck to paycheck - can afford to shut down all social safety nets and just "somehow" afford to take care of their parents in old age on their own.

Sounds like you're the fiction writer... whole lot of reality denial going on there... But sure - keep on believing that Ron Paul is the second coming and somehow transferring the costs for running a nation from a broke government to an even more broke population will work out great. Just make it up as you go - that's what extremists do... all in the name of "the Constitution" and "patriotism" of course.
when are people going to stop putting so much trust in UTube? Anything can be turned around, edited or taken out of context. Even kids know how to do this. When I hear someone say, I saw it on UTube or I see a Utube posted here, I just smile and think to myself: ok, so that is what you think, maybe it is true, maybe not, but I don't believe it just because Utube showed it.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:17 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,032,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
when are people going to stop putting so much trust in UTube? Anything can be turned around, edited or taken out of context. Even kids know how to do this. When I hear someone say, I saw it on UTube or I see a Utube posted here, I just smile and think to myself: ok, so that is what you think, maybe it is true, maybe not, but I don't believe it just because Utube showed it.
So... you think that video interview with Ron Paul was heavily edited and manipulated? Got any proof, or is this yet another "liberal conspiracy?"

Look, Ron Paul said what he said - wind down Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid, let the younger generation "opt out" and let them "take care of the elderly and not put them out in the streets." All his plan does is move the burden from a nearly broke government to broke individuals. It sounds nice on paper, being able to toss around "savings" of billions upon billions of dollars, but all it really does is ensure the death of the elderly because very few people in this nation can afford to cover their living expenses personally. We live in a nation where 75% of the working people live paycheck to paycheck - care to explain how they are also supposed to cover paying for their elderly parents on top of that?

Old 06-24-2014, 11:38 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
So... you think that video interview with Ron Paul was heavily edited and manipulated? Got any proof, or is this yet another "liberal conspiracy?"

Look, Ron Paul said what he said - wind down Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid, let the younger generation "opt out" and let them "take care of the elderly and not put them out in the streets." All his plan does is move the burden from a nearly broke government to broke individuals. It sounds nice on paper, being able to toss around "savings" of billions upon billions of dollars, but all it really does is ensure the death of the elderly because very few people in this nation can afford to cover their living expenses personally. We live in a nation where 75% of the working people live paycheck to paycheck - care to explain how they are also supposed to cover paying for their elderly parents on top of that?

I wish I could have had a choice, when Medicare put my dad on a death panel and then killed him.
What made him terminal... His age. He was going to cost medicare too much, for his non-productive life as a retired Air Force Captain with a Bronze Star. So they shut his kidneys down and tanked his blood pressure from lack of fluids and nutrition, during his time at rehab. They didn't change his cath for 2 months.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:19 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
As the Islamist militia group ISIS gains new ground in Iraq, capturing four more towns near the Syrian border and barreling towards Baghdad, Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) is holding strong to his belief that the United States should stay out of the conflict in the region.

"There's jihadists everywhere. If we were to get rid of Assad it would be a jihadist wonderland in Syria. It's now a jihadist wonderland in Iraq, precisely because we got over-involved."

Paul said he does not believe ISIS currently poses a national security threat to the U.S. It's going to be a civil war, he said, in which the U.S. military has no business being involved.

Rand Paul: We Created 'Jihadist Wonderland' In Iraq

Although I disagree with Paul on a lot of things, he is absolutely right about this. And if I needed further convincing, hearing warmonger chickenhawk Dick Cheney vehemently disagree with him and say that it's "absolutely essential" that the U.S. stay involved in the region did the trick.
You know how many people, even on this CD forum, were stating we should be backing Assad? This is actually pretty simple foreign policy stuff, the way too much pride war hawks though would never in their life admit to this fact, they would rather waste billions of dollars and lives before they ever admit that in fact, Assad is better than the alternative.

Look at McCain, he was one of the first to jump on the anti-Assad bandwagon by his great photo op with the Syrian rebels, good job

And really, this BS reaches into about every foreign policy decision the US makes.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:27 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,032,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I wish I could have had a choice, when Medicare put my dad on a death panel and then killed him.
What made him terminal... His age. He was going to cost medicare too much, for his non-productive life as a retired Air Force Captain with a Bronze Star. So they shut his kidneys down and tanked his blood pressure from lack of fluids and nutrition, during his time at rehab. They didn't change his cath for 2 months.
While I am sorry for your loss, we need to keep things in perspective:

1) You can rightly blame the hospital involved, but private corporations would have done the same thing, Medicare or not. We hear no end of folks from the far-right who like to remind us that "big businesses exist only to make profit, and that's great!" Well, as cold as it is to say, as long as big business is making the decisions, people will die when they are "too expensive" to keep living. Blaming Medicare or the government specifically is simply inaccurate. Big business made the decision that it was cheaper - more profitable - to let your father die. This is why allowing big business to do whatever it wants in the name of greater profits is wrong, because at some point human lives simply become another expandable resource.

2) Even if YOU could have afforded to keep your dad alive, many other people would not be able to afford anywhere near the care and basic living expenses that their elderly relative are getting today if we did away with social safety nets.

Remember - 75% of this nation lives paycheck to paycheck. Even if we grossly assume that of the remaining 25%, all of them could afford the huge extra expenses needed to keep their elderly relatives alive once the social safety nets are removed, what of the remaining 75%? Are they to die because it's cheaper? And isn't that the exact same mindset you're opposing - letting people die because somebody decides it's cheaper that way? Perhaps your father would have lived longer, but several others would have died far younger - are you okay with that?

No, the safety nets must stay. And as long as lunatics like Ron Paul advocate for their removal and instead think the burden should simply be dumped on the already-broke working class of this nation, I will point out the hypocrisy of that belief and oppose him.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:31 PM

3,950 posts, read 5,089,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
As the Islamist militia group ISIS gains new ground in Iraq, capturing four more towns near the Syrian border and barreling towards Baghdad, Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) is holding strong to his belief that the United States should stay out of the conflict in the region.

"There's jihadists everywhere. If we were to get rid of Assad it would be a jihadist wonderland in Syria. It's now a jihadist wonderland in Iraq, precisely because we got over-involved."

Paul said he does not believe ISIS currently poses a national security threat to the U.S. It's going to be a civil war, he said, in which the U.S. military has no business being involved.

Rand Paul: We Created 'Jihadist Wonderland' In Iraq

Although I disagree with Paul on a lot of things, he is absolutely right about this. And if I needed further convincing, hearing warmonger chickenhawk Dick Cheney vehemently disagree with him and say that it's "absolutely essential" that the U.S. stay involved in the region did the trick.
Rand Paul for President in 2016!

Old 06-24-2014, 12:52 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:

If you are broke, you are broke whether it be an individual or the government. You seem to have a habit of contradicting yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies