Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 10:11 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
People with resources to fight back against what?
People with the resources to fight back against having their neighborhood used as backdrop for a political stunt. These open carry idiots know full well they're not welcome.

Quote:
That darn first amendment can be a real pain in the buttocks for lefties when they disagree with the people who choose to exercise their rights.
If the best you can put up in favor of a demonstration that it's not actually illegal under the first amendment, then it's probably fairly safe to assume that the message is a hard one to defend logically.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:16 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,369,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
I wonder what would happen if a group mostly composed of minorities carrying long-arms openly marched through a white, right-wing neighborhood to prove a point?

Given the number of threads around here that support shooting wildly into the darkness at anyone who "might be threatening" - and the criminal cases in the deep south where minorities get shot because "uh, he might have had a gun/knife/stick of gum/soda," I think we know the answer.

Remember - everyone is entitled to various rights, but some are more entitled than others. And, apparently it is now acceptable to ramrod one's gun fetishes down the throats of others by marching - armed and uninvited - through their neighborhoods... which is funny considering how that clashes with the other "right" to shoot anyone near your property who might be threatening...
What a load of BS, if you don't have anything real to add don't make crap up just to support your twisted position. Liberalism truly is a mental disorder if you think anything you said is based in reality, you do have the rabid liberal talking points down though, kudos to you.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:20 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
The purpose is to assert the Constitutional right to keep and bear arms. I hope this trend grows everywhere.
People have a Constitutional right to carry felling axes while marching back and forth in front of elementary school playgrounds. Still a foolish, classless, childish thing to do. As are these displays.

As for the trend growing everywhere, well - we had j.ckasses doing that exact same thing around here, carrying their rifles because they wanted to make a point. (Double whammy - they couldn't legally carry them loaded, so they carried unloaded rifles. "Hi, I'm holding a portable object of decent value, very useful to a criminal, easy to fence, and right now it's just an unwieldy club." Real smart, that. But I digress...)

What they did wrong was to do so around people with resources. When you do something like that in an area where the median home price is in seven figures, you're suddenly annoying people who not only know lawyers and assemblymen - they are lawyers and assemblymen. And they're not having their property values go down because somebody wants to make a point about how Beirut ca. 2003 had a really cool ambiance. So they made phone calls, sent emails , gathered signatures.

And now people in California can't open-carry even unloaded rifles.

Last edited by Dane_in_LA; 06-24-2014 at 11:30 AM..

Old 06-24-2014, 10:28 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,033,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Ironically, you've buttressed the argument i've been making around here for a long time.

Inner cities have just as many guns in just as many hands as everywhere else.

I don't know why white people act as if black folks have some congenital aversion to guns. SMH
The only people making that jump in here are anti-gun folks who are also mostly black...

Old 06-24-2014, 11:25 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
The only people making that jump in here are anti-gun folks who are also mostly black...
Give names. I haven't seen anyone on here, black or otherwise, that made that jump.

Just because people don't drool at the sight of a gun, doesn't make them anti-gun.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:32 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,033,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Give names. I haven't seen anyone on here, black or otherwise, that made that jump.

Just because people don't drool at the sight of a gun, doesn't make them anti-gun.
Just look at most of the people in here who seem to think this is somehow racist or that this is going to cause a riot. These people act as if black folks don't know about, own or see guns on a regular basis. I live in the general area that this is going to take place and I see a whole lot of black folks out at the gun range when I go shoot.

Can anyone please explain to me how it's in any way racist for a group of people to hold a protest/march in an area when the purpose is to make sure people are aware of their rights and to encourage people to exercise those rights? These guys are encouraging people in all communities to own self defense firearms, these guys are collecting canned goods and feeding people in need in these communities and these guys have members from all races.

Please explain to me how is this planned march racist? Is it racists when black "community leaders" walk through those same communities carrying firearms?

Old 06-24-2014, 11:53 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
I wonder what would happen if a group mostly composed of minorities carrying long-arms openly marched through a white, right-wing neighborhood to prove a point?
Wonder if we'll see more of those? I can't recall any marches like that offhand though I'm sure there must have been some.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:06 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Just look at most of the people in here who seem to think this is somehow racist or that this is going to cause a riot. These people act as if black folks don't know about, own or see guns on a regular basis. I live in the general area that this is going to take place and I see a whole lot of black folks out at the gun range when I go shoot.

Can anyone please explain to me how it's in any way racist for a group of people to hold a protest/march in an area when the purpose is to make sure people are aware of their rights and to encourage people to exercise those rights? These guys are encouraging people in all communities to own self defense firearms, these guys are collecting canned goods and feeding people in need in these communities and these guys have members from all races.

Please explain to me how is this planned march racist? Is it racists when black "community leaders" walk through those same communities carrying firearms?
Hey man, you're going off on something that i wasn't even talking about. I've got nothing to do with all that.

All i'm saying is that i don't get the sense that any blacks on this thread are anti gun. If you do, then fine.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:13 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I must have missed those threads.

Generally speaking, the "people shooting wildly into the darkness at anyone" tend to be gang members and tend to vote Democrat.
"Generally speaking," and stated without any sense of irony.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:32 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
An open carry march through a black Houston neighborhood has been postponed due to a scheduling conflict (a march in Big Spring TX) but also to re-evaluate strategy.

"If you go marching through the Fifth Ward like a bunch of stuffy old white boys carrying guns and spitting tobacco you'll get a bad response, but if you go in there talking to people like human beings and explain what you're doing, the response will be different," David Amad - Open Carry Texas

"This walk will certainly be a departure from other highly publicized events. It is unclear how many will march but pictures by some of those expected to attend show members mocking the area's Congressional Woman Sheila Jackson Lee are not exactly friendly to the community. One shows a man in front of her office with a sign that reads "Gun Control = Slavery Sheila Jackson Lee Supports Slavery" and caption that read "Queen Sheila ran for the hills," and another simply shows a man eating a piece of fried chicken in front of her office."

BOR: Race-Baiting Open Carry Advocates to March through 5th Ward in Houston Juneteenth Weekend
Open Carry Advocates Plan to March Through the Fifth Ward (Updated) | Houston Press
Has there been a reason given why they chose that area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies