Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 01:46 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times

Advertisements

Man, i really wish they'd just done the march without all of this prevaricating and trying to get an 'understanding' with the residents there.

Oh well...too late.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:34 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Nope-but I sure as hell would feel threatened if a group of people not from my neighborhood were parading through brandishing AR-15s but maybe that's just me...
If those coming through your neighborhood announced in advance their intent of a peaceful demonstration of a basic constitutional right, would you still feel threatened?

Old 06-27-2014, 12:18 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,236,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
If those coming through your neighborhood announced in advance their intent of a peaceful demonstration of a basic constitutional right, would you still feel threatened?

I know a few neighborhoods around Kansas City and you can announce what ever you want and the minute you start parading, marching etc down those streets then you just might get shot.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:06 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,386,701 times
Attention whores really do come in all shapes and sizes!

Old 06-28-2014, 08:03 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
I know a few neighborhoods around Kansas City and you can announce what ever you want and the minute you start parading, marching etc down those streets then you just might get shot.
There are parts of cities that the police are afraid to go into. Different issue.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:10 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
There are parts of cities that the police are afraid to go into. Different issue.
Nonsense. That get's said so much that everyone believes it. The cops have trepidation before entering ANY situation, but every cop i've ever known said that they'd rather go into the worse neighborhood in any city and deal with hardcore crime than to go to a domestic violence situation in the nicest neighborhood you can find.

The cops have guns too, you know.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:13 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,714,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Why do anti gunner always talk about a "fetish."

And provide a link that say you can fire on anyne if you feel threatened...

Go ahead, I'll wait...
Regarding your 'fetish' comment, you may be thinking only of the term 'sexual fetish'. But a fetish was originally a term from anthropology, and remains the first definition in Merriam-Webster:

1 : an object (as a small stone carving of an animal) believed to have magical power to protect or aid its owner; broadly : a material object regarded with superstitious or extravagant trust or reverence.

Calling a gun a 'fetish' object seems to be a fairly accurate assessment of how many gun-owners feel about their weapons -- that merely owning one is somehow a protection, that it helps them to distinguish a 'good guy' from a 'bad guy', and takes on some of the characteristics on the owner.

Old 06-28-2014, 01:00 PM

46,267 posts, read 27,085,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Schmancy View Post
Regarding your 'fetish' comment, you may be thinking only of the term 'sexual fetish'. But a fetish was originally a term from anthropology, and remains the first definition in Merriam-Webster:

1 : an object (as a small stone carving of an animal) believed to have magical power to protect or aid its owner; broadly : a material object regarded with superstitious or extravagant trust or reverence.

Calling a gun a 'fetish' object seems to be a fairly accurate assessment of how many gun-owners feel about their weapons -- that merely owning one is somehow a protection, that it helps them to distinguish a 'good guy' from a 'bad guy', and takes on some of the characteristics on the owner.

I've been around guns for a long time, and I have never heard people who own guns, say "how's your fetish going"?

Why is that only the anti gunners use that word?

Maybe because that word goes hand in hand with sex...

Have you ever heard anything else described as having a fetish, except for sex or guns?

Of course you answer will be yes....

But lets see if you are honest with yourself...

Old 06-28-2014, 01:19 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,386,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
(to Fancy-Schmancy) I've been around guns for a long time, and I have never heard people who own guns, say "how's your fetish going"?

Why is that only the anti gunners use that word?

Maybe because that word goes hand in hand with sex...

Have you ever heard anything else described as having a fetish, except for sex or guns?

Of course you answer will be yes....

But lets see if you are honest with yourself...
I know I have. A "fetish" is simply an object someone gives an excessive amount of attention to. If I spend a lot of my time talking about windows, it could be said I have a window fetish. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with sex.

fetish - definition of fetish by The Free Dictionary

But yes, when people use it, they are meaning to be condescending, upon either the person or the "obsession" in question.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:08 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,031,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
What is the purpose of marched through a strangers neighborhood with guns exposed?
Why would a black neighborhood automatically be "strangers" to anyone in your mind? Open Carry Texas has members of all races from all over the state, especially in from all areas of Houston including 5th ward where they intend on marching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies