Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2014, 02:07 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,230,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Intelligence is not a prerequisite for voting.

That is a violation of the 24th Amendment.

Hate to burst your unconstitutional bubble, pal. We've been down this road already. It was called Jim Crow.
I didn't say "intelligence". I said "informed". Most people know more about some stupid tv program than they do about who they are voting in to be on the city council. THAT was what I was referring to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 02:09 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Meh. Voting has been the same since the first election, and lookie! We're still here! Aside from a few completely insane C-D posters, even conservatives are happy to tell everyone that we're the awesomest country on earth.

At the same time, conservatives have been trying to keep people they don't approve of from voting for about the same length of time. Just like those British rulers who only allowed people with a certain amount of property, who were male and white.

American conservatives -- Taking the country back to 1775 daily since 1788!
Amberican liberals -- instituting communism one "common sense" regulation at a time

Old 06-24-2014, 02:10 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,403,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
I didn't say "intelligence". I said "informed". Most people know more about some stupid tv program than they do about who they are voting in to be on the city council. THAT was what I was referring to.
Irrelevant.

You cannot condition voting. Any tests, taxes, or superfluous criteria that preceeds voting is unconstitutional per the 24th Amendment. Any discrimination on the basis of age, sex, and race are also unconstitutional. Why do we have four Amendments that specifically make this clear?

This is simply not debateable no matter how much the right-wing conservatives whine, yell, and stomp their feet.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
I have no idea. Plenty of women on this forum hate women.

And I'll just repeat what Opin_Yunated said:

And add… not only is it not a prerequisite for voting, it CANNOT and SHOULD NOT be because it's totally subjective. That's why the Founders (you know, like Thomas Jefferson ) did not make it a requirement.
PEDRO MARTINEZ. Not a white Republican. And for hopefully the final time, I did not say intelligence is a requirement. I said it would be nice if voters took the time to be INFORMED. There is a difference!!!!

Old 06-24-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Irrelevant.

You cannot condition voting. Any tests, taxes, or superfluous criteria that preceeds voting is unconstitutional per the 24th Amendment. Any discrimination on the basis of age, sex, and race are also unconstitutional. Why do we have four Amendments that specifically make this clear?

This is simply not debateable no matter how much the right-wing conservatives whine, yell, and stomp their feet.
Its not a condition. My gosh, where in the ---- is this coming from??

Old 06-24-2014, 02:14 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,403,886 times
Quote:
PEDRO MARTINEZ. Not a white Republican. And for hopefully the final time, I did not say intelligence is a requirement. I said it would be nice if voters took the time to be INFORMED. There is a difference!!!!
Quote:
Its not a condition. My gosh, where in the ---- is this coming from??
Good. Just making sure this is clear.

So you're suggesting we should inform voters?

Are you suggesting that voting is healthy for our republic? Should all citizens have access to voting?

Old 06-24-2014, 02:15 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,301 times
Quote:
If you think Jefferson, of all people, wanted to restrict voting rights (at least from white people), you are sadly mistaken.

That quote's purpose was to encourage people to be educated, not to restrict voting rights to the folks you like best.

People who use the Founders' quotes out of context could use some education themselves, I suppose.
Interesting. I don't recall using the Founders' quotes out of context being any problem at all for the left wing when it comes using the "well regulated militia" part of the 2nd amendment to say that the right to own guns is only there for the National Guard. After all, Madison, the one person who wrote the 2nd amendment, wrote commentary about it in the Federalist Papers wherein he clearly stated that it was meant to allow the ordinary citizens of the states to arm themselves apart from the government. So apparently taking the Founders' meaning in context only applies when that meaning supports what you want. But hypocrisy from a liberal is nothing new.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Good. Just making sure this is clear.

So you're suggesting we should inform voters?

Are you suggesting that voting is healthy for our republic? Should all citizens have access to voting?
Yes. Absolutely. I just wish everyone would take the time to study their ballot, know the measures that they are voting for. And the candidates.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:32 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,594,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
The argument that one must leave their home to get an ID is invalidated by the fact one must also leave their home to vote.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:33 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,600,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
We seek to exclude groups who shouldn't be voting in the first place, liberals are desperate to add as many of those people to the voter rolls as humanly possible and fight against any effort made by anyone to uncover voter fraud.
I'm officially sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies