Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 09:35 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 26 days ago)

29,573 posts, read 16,556,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Gypped is a slur. Michelle said it. She gets away with it. I seriously doubt anyone else in her position, or of a lesser politically visible position, could without a **** storm descending on them.
You learned, like most people on this site, that gypped is a slur when you opened this thread.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:36 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,683,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
Gyp is a slur in origin, but most Americans don't know that. For one thing, most of us are only vaguely familiar with the concept of Gypsies. I try not to use it, but I wouldn't sweat its use by other people. Like "going Dutch" and "welching on a bet", it's a term that has largely become disassociated from its origins, at least in America.
Political correctness does not give a rat's ass if you do not know the origins of the terms you use, or if you meant no offense or malice. The word Nazis, are policing the language everyone uses, and there will be no leniency for those claiming ignorance of the PC laws.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:38 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
What about...

I Jewed him down on his price.
I haven't heard anyone say that in decades....not in person anyway.

I've heard it in entertainment, but that's about it.

"Jewed" has gone out with honky....not to mention that they just make you sound like an idiot when you say it.

It's amazing how time can impact the meaning of words. Mitigating some and making others more powerful.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:39 AM

15,640 posts, read 10,400,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
You learned, like most people on this site, that gypped is a slur when you opened this thread.
Are you defending that it is OK for a person to use racial slurs as long as one pleads ignorance of basic vocabulary? If ignorance is acceptable for making a racial slur, then by all means Mrs. Obama's evident ignorance should get a pass.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 06-25-2014 at 09:51 AM..

Old 06-25-2014, 09:39 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,683,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I was told as a grade schooler not to use that term. I grew up in the mid west, not more then 100 miles from where Michelle grew up. I heard kids at school use the phrase 'gypped,' but when I repeated it in front of my mother one day I was sharply rebuked, and told not to use it any more.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:42 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Political correctness does not give a rat's ass if you do not know the origins of the terms you use, or if you meant no offense or malice. The word Nazis, police the language everyone uses, and there will be no leniency for those claiming ignorance of the PC laws.
Come on...the examples he cited are clearly terms that no one is gonna care about anymore.

Welching on a bet? 99.9% of people wouldn't even have a clue.

Going Dutch? Again, no one on the planet even thinks about the root of that idiom.

I get that you guys have a beef with political correctness, but don't get carried away.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:45 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,447,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsky99 View Post
So according to you politically correct liberals Michelle should be booted out of the WH.

Look what you did to Sterling you ran him out of town.

First Lady Uses Racial Slur And Gets Away With It | The Daily Caller
Seems conservatives are set on whining as loudly as possible about it.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:46 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,264,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Come on...the examples he cited are clearly terms that no one is gonna care about anymore.

Welching on a bet? 99.9% of people wouldn't even have a clue.

Going Dutch? Again, no one on the planet even thinks about the root of that idiom.

I get that you guys have a beef with political correctness, but don't get carried away.
That, and Michelle Obama.

Counting down to some con chiming in with an insulting reference to her appearance in 5, 4, 3 …

Old 06-25-2014, 09:47 AM

18,462 posts, read 7,096,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
No, no, no. You misunderstand. If you read the threads about the Redskins, you will learn that racial slurs are only racial slurs if white Conservatives are offended. The feelings of the minority in question are irrelevant, and only white Conservatives know what blacks, Indians, women, and, presumably, gypsies, think.

Hope I've cleared that up for you.
Ohh I see.
That must be why it's ok for black people to call each other the "N" word.

Gotcha

Old 06-25-2014, 09:49 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 26 days ago)

29,573 posts, read 16,556,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Are you defending that it is OK for a person to use racial slurs as long as one pleads ignorance of basic vocabulary?
Not at all, my argument is that intent does matter, but once you learn the origins you stop doing it.

Your argument seemed to be that the women was purposefully using a racial slur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies