Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 12:54 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,994,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
The deaf have a language they can speak.
When did Harrier say anything about deaf people?

Old 06-25-2014, 12:54 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,260,069 times
Quote:
The deaf have a language they can speak.
I bet Harrier's cat is also fluent in ASL.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:57 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,803,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
HAHA!

Harrier lost. Harrier is sad. See Harrier cry. Cry, Harrier, cry.

Then marry your friggin dumb cat and move on. WOW. I think I have more productive conversations with my four-year-old.
I have a coworker who makes the same claim about people marrying animals (as opposed to cats, his bestiality ponderings concern dogs). I've pointed out to him that since dogs are not 'persons' (to which Constitutional rights specifically apply), allowing people to marry isn't going to lead to dogs (or any other non-humans) marrying any more than allowing women to vote was ever going to lead to dogs voting.

Anyone who can't comprehend that very basic application of logic is either rather dumb, or being obtuse because being obtuse and appearing dumb entertains that person. I suspect the latter applies to a certain participant of this thread who long ago managed to find a place among the very short number of posters worthy of my ignore list.

Anyway, when I pointed out to my coworker that extending the vote to women in 1920 hasn't led to canine suffrage, his reply was: "Sure it hasn't... yet!".

Real genius there. And I see he has plenty of peers here in these forums.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:01 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,667,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
I have a coworker who makes the same claim about people marrying animals (as opposed to cats, his bestiality ponderings concern dogs). I've pointed out to him that since dogs are not 'persons' (to which Constitutional rights specifically apply), allowing people to marry isn't going to lead to dogs (or any other non-humans) marrying any more than allowing women to vote was ever going to lead to dogs voting.

Anyone who can't comprehend that very basic application of logic is either rather dumb, or being obtuse because being obtuse and appearing dumb entertains that person. I suspect the latter applies to a certain participant of this thread who long ago managed to find a place among the very short number of posters worthy of my ignore list.

Anyway, when I pointed out to my coworker that extending the vote to women in 1920 hasn't led to canine suffrage, his reply was: "Sure it hasn't... yet!".

Good post. And they aren't being dumb; they're just being obtuse and difficult because they don't want to admit defeat.

I mean, it's a good indication when conservative politicians are backing away from this as a campaign issue. The door has closed and they know it. It will cost them at the ballot box if they were to continue pursuing it.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
So how is that different than what we have right now? The word?
Not just the word, but the legal status and preferential treatment that both state and federal governments provide to married people.

Marriage should be a private affair, with private contracts having terms decided only by the two individuals.

Institutions of religion could also have their own rules, but those only arise out of voluntary association with the church, mosque, etc...

Old 06-25-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post

Why do gay army troopers always make inane references to things that have nothing to do with homosexual "marriage" like referring to Loving v Virgiinia or women's suffrage?

Black people are men and women, and the definition of marriage is a union between a man and a woman, and that is what SCOTUS did is Loving v Virginia - they upheld marriage as a union between a man and a woman.

The 19th Amendment simply extended the vote to a group of people to whom denying it served no purpose.

Gay marriage serves no purpose and is not a right.

Government involvement in marriage also serves no purpose, and should be abolished.

Have whatever relationship you want, do what you wish in your home, and call it whatever you want.

Don't force Harrier to endorse or accept it, and don't shove it down his throat.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:14 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,273,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
This analogy doesn't appear to work considering that both homosexuality and marriage were known about at the time that the U.S. Constitution was written.
So was slavery.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:18 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,790,924 times
Quote:
And? Blacks weren't allowed to marry whites during that time, now they are. Do you think that is wrong too?
You apparently forgot to read this part of mine:

"And again, to clarify, I support this ruling from the perspective of morality. From the perspective of the U.S. Constitution, well, I suppose that I might be able to see it both ways."

As for interracial marriage, I haven't studied these court cases well enough to comment on it from the perspective of the U.S. Constitution (of course, either way, it doesn't really matter at this point in time since the U.S. Constitution can be amended and I would think that there would be enough support for such an amendment). However, as with gay marriage, from the perspective of morality, I obviously strongly support having interracial marriage be legal nationwide.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:19 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,790,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
So was slavery.
Yes, but we thankfully already have a Constitutional Amendment which got rid of slavery nationwide.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:32 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,260,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Why do gay army troopers always make inane references to things that have nothing to do with homosexual "marriage" like referring to Loving v Virgiinia or women's suffrage?

Black people are men and women, and the definition of marriage is a union between a man and a woman, and that is what SCOTUS did is Loving v Virginia - they upheld marriage as a union between a man and a woman.

The 19th Amendment simply extended the vote to a group of people to whom denying it served no purpose.

Gay marriage serves no purpose and is not a right.

Government involvement in marriage also serves no purpose, and should be abolished.

Have whatever relationship you want, do what you wish in your home, and call it whatever you want.

Don't force Harrier to endorse or accept it, and don't shove it down his throat.
Why do anti-gay bigots seem obsessed with things being put into their throats?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.