Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 01:58 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,045,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
You think he is going to go on tour
He might. I'll send you a few tickets. I know you'll enjoy the show.

Old 06-26-2014, 02:02 PM

9,879 posts, read 7,990,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Yup. It's called "working hard". I can understand that very well. Towards the end of my college education I was taking part in an intense IT curriculum that required lots of dedication. Twenty-seven of us started the process. TWO of us finished. I had no social life then either. Didn't have the time.

Ken
It's not like he was majoring in Computer Engineering/software.

Obama was international science/political science. That is a very social major.
In my own experience, I haven't met any introverted poly sci majors, but I
guess they are out there - Obama being an example, I guess...

Or maybe he was just stoned all the time Pot makes some folks kinda paranoid

Old 06-26-2014, 02:10 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,418,792 times
Quote:
It's not like he was majoring in Computer Engineering/software.

Obama was international science/political science. That is a very social major.
In my own experience, I haven't met any introverted poly sci majors, but I
guess they are out there - Obama being an example, I guess...

Or maybe he was just stoned all the time Pot makes some folks kinda paranoid
Not particularly. As a former poli sci major, I knew quite a few people in our department who were fellow introverts.

Old 06-26-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
Not particularly. As a former poli sci major, I knew quite a few people in our department who were fellow introverts.
Did they become successful

Old 06-26-2014, 02:13 PM

29,183 posts, read 22,202,559 times
Quote:
You actually know some of the songs he sung. I'm impressed. I only know his daughter's
song, "You light up my life" which would be the case for me, if they could get ANYTHING on this Commander of Incompetence to stick.
The most amusing thing about all this is Pat Boone got his start covering songs first made hits by black singers like Little Richard, Frankie Lyman, and other young black singers of the 50's.

I was in the 6th grade, listening at nights to the Mexican high-power radio stations that wave-skipped all the way up to Idaho when the weather was clear, and I heard Little Richard's Tutti-Frutti. A couple of weeks later, on my all-white local station I heard Pat Boone's cover. The difference was like hearing Purple Haze covered by a polka band.
Even though I was just a naive kid, I knew back then something was fishy.

The kids who heard these black artists on the radio often didn't know what color they were, (including me) and didn't care (including me), but the station owners and their corporate boards knew, and they didn't want black rock 'n roll on their all-white stations. Back then, Elvis was seen as a real threat, because he was white and sounded black.

Boone sounded white and was a sorta, kinda, cute, straight laced, cleaned-up alternative to Elvis, and he made a specialty of covering the early black artists of rock like a blanket. He got all the TV coverage in shows that were all-white, too. It made him millions, even though his covers sucked.

Do I wonder why he's a birther these days with that kind of history? Nope. Not at all. That's what he's done all his life- denying black folks are just as American as he is.

Old 06-26-2014, 02:19 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,418,792 times
Quote:
Did they become successful
Hell if I know. I wasn't close with any of them. I said I knew them, not that they were my best friend for life.

Old 06-26-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Do I wonder why he's a birther these days with that kind of history? Nope. Not at all. That's what he's done all his life- denying black folks are just as American as he is.
Interesting story, TY.

I came upon this exchange (yes, I had to look it up - Pat Boone is not on my radar) and
this is what I found:

In 1976, on an airplane, the singer Pat Boone who was sitting with Sonny Bono, & John Dean (Nixon's)
asked Earl Butz, President Gerald Ford’s Secretary of Agriculture, why there were so few black Republicans. Why would Boone be asking such a question if he is what you say he is?

Pat [Boone] posed a question: “John and I were just discussing the appeal of the Republican party. It seems to me that the party of Abraham Lincoln could and should attract more black people. Why can’t that be done?” This was a fair question for the secretary, who is also a very capable politician.

“I’ll tell you why you can’t attract coloreds,” the secretary proclaimed as his mischievous smile returned. “Because colored only wants three things. You know what they want?” he asked Pat.

Pat shook his head no; so did I.

“I’ll tell you what coloreds want. It’s three things: first, a tight *****; second, loose shoes; and third, a warm place to ****. That's all!” or as the NYT cleaned it up to say “satisfying sex, loose shoes, and a warm bathroom.”

Pat gulped twice.

Butz was forced to resign for that comment.

This Day in Quotes: The infamous quote that revealed Earl was a bigoted Butz-hole…

Old 06-26-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Hell if I know. I wasn't close with any of them. I said I knew them, not that they were my best friend for life.
My point was, introverted poly sci majors don't all of a sudden become extroverted and
make a name for themselves in the public eye. Except for Obama...

Old 06-26-2014, 03:09 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,758,912 times
Quote:
My point was, introverted poly sci majors don't all of a sudden become extroverted and
make a name for themselves in the public eye. Except for Obama...
Introverts come in different colors, types and persuasions.

People who meet me think I'm engaging and friendly, curious about a wide range of topics, very chatty. In point of fact, I'm an INFJ personality. About as introverted as they get. I like to travel alone. I like to watch movies alone. I like to go to museums alone. I like to shop alone. I can go for days without talking to another living soul. But like every single one of us, I have a social persona, and a private persona. And most people who know me casually think I'm very outgoing. I suspect that President Obama is a lot like that. I would bet he prizes his private time, his alone time. But when he interacts with others, he makes the most of it. He is very focused. And when he focuses on being sociable, he's good at it.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:10 PM

29,972 posts, read 18,533,328 times
Quote:
No release of transcripts? You must find literally every other president suspicious, then. The ONLY president who voluntarily released even an excerpt of his transcripts was George W. Bush and even then it was only after a page from his transcript had been leaked and the only thing he released was the page that had been leaked.

As for the "no one remembering him" crap. Once again bogus claims that even a moderate amount of research shoots down.

Oh look - it's the graduation program from Columbia that clearly lists him as receiving a B.A.!

Oh look! A directory entry from Columbia's student directory!

Oh look! An article that Obama wrote at Columbia.

How about what the University itself says?

Obama's Years at Columbia Are a Mystery - The New York Sun

Did Obama ‘miss’ 1 year of Columbia classes?

Barack Obama '83 Becomes First College Alumnus To Win Presidency | Columbia College

Columbia College Today

Columbia College Today

[QUOTE]Barack Obama ’83 -- The New Face of the Democratic Party? (Cover Story) Obama says he was still goofing off for the first two years of college, which he spent at Occidental in Los Angeles. He continued to play basketball, which friends say he is still quite good at, and was involved in other organized activities. He also spent “a lot of time having fun.”

He changed course junior year when he transferred to Columbia. “I realized I wanted to be in a more vibrant, urban environment,” he says. As a transfer student, he didn’t receive housing, so lived off campus in various makeshift arrangements, such as living in one bedroom of a three-bedroom apartment, and renting a sixth-floor walk-up with slanting floors on the East Side, “just north of gentrification,” as he describes it.

As he pursued a political science degree, specializing in international relations, Obama says he was somewhat involved with the Black Students Organization and participated in anti-apartheid activities. “Mostly, my years at Columbia were an intense period of study,” he says. “When I transferred, I decided to buckle down and get serious. I spent a lot of time in the library. I didn’t socialize that much. I was like a monk.”
Columbia News Announcement

Oh, and here's statements from people who certainly did know and remember him.
Phil Boerner
Sohale Sidiqqi
Michael J. Wolf
Cathie M. Currie

Jim Davidson
Jonathan Zimmerman
Dr. Lennard Davis
Dr. Michael Baron

Can we now please declare this line of birther thought definitively dead?[/quote]

What a bunch of crap.

1. Did you read the links to the people who "knew him"? Two professors, who apparently had Obama in thier classes, had to be reminded that he was in thier class- they did not remember him.
Only one person on your list "remembers" him in a class. The roomie did not have him in a class.

2. Obama did not graduate with ANY HONORS from Columbia (i.e. crap grades). Now how in the hell did someone with NO HONORS get into Harvard Law?

3. Of course Columbia cannot release Obama's transcript. Obama, however, can release it. Why does he choose not to do so?
a. crappy grades
b. permanent address probably listed as Indonesia or Kenya
c. status as a foriegn student

4. How the hell did Obama afford TWO Ivy League schools?

5. You did not address the communists in Obama's life-
a. mother and father
b. grandparents
c. mentor as a young adult
d. Bill Ayers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies