Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 11:38 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,196,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
That's odd. The only thing I hear is "buy cheap and stack it deep". And by deep, something like this:

that is just a good start to stacking it deep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Few points:

1) You just said when somebody is "declared competent" they can get their guns back - that means that incompetent people (whatever that definition is) would NOT be allowed to have guns... which means you support some form of gun laws. Similarly, you clearly don't want felons to have firearms, which is another form of gun law... which means you support some minimal level of gun laws.

Now, I'm not saying that to be disagreeable with you. In truth, that's about the only gun laws I support, too. I honestly don't care if some guy has a house full of "scary automatic weapons," provided he's not a felon, a certified lunatic, or in some other way clearly unable to own such weapons responsibly. I'm just tired of the "no gun laws at all" crowd, since if taken literally, we would have total lunatics and violent felons being able to easily acquire weapons, which is simply indefensible.

2) With regard to the 2nd Amendment, it does say "well regulated militia" - the well-regulated part does imply that somebody has some say over it. Again, don't get me wrong - I feel it should be as easy for a person to get and use a gun responsibility as it is for a person to get and use a car responsibly, but to say that the 2nd Amendment "proves that we should have no gun laws" is pushing it.

no I do not want gun laws at all, either keep them committed or keep them in prison. if I were to seek to limit anyones right to keep and bear arms, it would be anyone in the government outside of the military to have any kind of firearm at all.

after all, the only place federal LEO's have any right to be is Washington dc and post offices.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
People do the same in Canada.

really? so if you are unarmed in Canada, you walk around with wolves on your property? maybe my friend was not clear on how many kooks there were in Canada.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:48 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,033,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
no I do not want gun laws at all, either keep them committed or keep them in prison. if I were to seek to limit anyones right to keep and bear arms, it would be anyone in the government outside of the military to have any kind of firearm at all.

after all, the only place federal LEO's have any right to be is Washington dc and post offices.
So... you're instead proposing keeping people in prison much longer than normal and vastly increasing the number of people permanently in mental health institutions as an alternative to having a few basic, simple gun control laws, such as keeping them out of the hands of people with violence issues or serious mental health issues?!

I'd like to assume you can see the flaws in that reasoning... since you're essentially saying if somebody isn't fit to own a gun, they should be locked away from society.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:53 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
really? so if you are unarmed in Canada, you walk around with wolves on your property? maybe my friend was not clear on how many kooks there were in Canada.
A hell of a lot less than there are here. That's for damn sure.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
A hell of a lot less than there are here. That's for damn sure.

very true Detroiter, all you have to do to see kooks here is look at the democrat party and their friends the republican party. those combined will equal just about 50% of the population.

Old 06-28-2014, 01:28 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
That's because i don't talk about guns...and i don't tell ANYONE whether or not i have one, what type i have, and how many i own if i do own any.

And the difference between cars and guns where it pertains to price is all relative. There's a certain amount of money that i find reasonable to spend on a gun. But i find a few million on a vintage Ferrari to be totally reasonable (not that i have a few million..juss sayin'). I'll drive a car a hell of a lot more than i'll fire a weapon.
It is your choice how you spend your money. It is not your choice to tell others how many guns are enough.

Old 06-28-2014, 01:58 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:

...and on airplanes and in national forests and parks and wherever the president is and at embassies and in FBI and CIA offices throughout the country and world, and...

Old 06-28-2014, 02:30 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,895,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
When I put "scary automatic weapons" in quotes, I was poking fun at the
people who honestly believe that the weapon itself is the problem AND at how the
media tends to badly mix up terms about various guns. I'm sorry if this didn't
come across properly in internet posting format. Let me just be clear then - the
gun itself is rarely the problem (I suppose a gun can be defective, poorly
maintained, etc.) - it's the person using it. I don't care if a person owns a
whole pile of weapons of various levels of capability, provided he's not using
them irresponsibly.
Ok, but the fact is there are a great many uninformed people who really do believe that people can easily obtain "automatic" rifles. They honestly believe that, and so it is impossible for me to know the difference between those who believe that and those who are just poking fun at it.. Also, I don't believe the media mixes anything up, I believe their mix-ups are intentionally misleading, which changes it from mix-ups in to downright deception. That's just my opinion though.

Quote:
Also, I generally agree with what you define as well-regulated, and I apologize
if that didn't come across clearly. Again, please see my earlier posts - I
support MANDATORY gun safety training in schools, and EASIER access to guns for
decent citizens. I obviously don't support giving felons guns (maybe they can
have them after some number of years of good behavior after their sentence is
served), giving people with certified, serious mental illnesses guns, etc. but
overall, I'm in favor of far EASIER access to firearms for the people.

Old 06-28-2014, 04:14 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Shares of the gunmaker plunged nearly 10% Friday morning as it dawned on investors that the once high-flying gun industry is coming down to Earth.

Smith & Wesson: Americans are buying fewer guns - Jun. 20, 2014
Glock is booming, H&K is booming, Sig Sauer is booming, Ruger is booming, Colt is booming.

So much for the article.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies