Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 09:40 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,112,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Subtracting out the 13 percent black approval rating, that's 27% of the rest of the country.
Very good point. In general, I would consider this a fallacy. But since black people are a monolith and support the President no matter what due to his skin color, it does in fact make sense to pull them completely out of the sample to get a more accurate reading on the Barack's approval rating.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Wow........the racism inherent in that statement is mindboggling.

Why would you take their numbers out? Are they not Americans?
Black people are a monolith. It's not racism, it's a fact.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAR18 View Post
Only our Congress has a lower approval rating than our President. Just look at his track record during his presidency. The first law he signed provided equal pay for women. Then he helped avert the second Great Depression, bailing out financial corporations who have since paid back their loans with interest. Then, he helped bail out the American automobile industry and look where they are today. Next, he accomplished something no American President could get done, affordable health care for all Americans (my financial planner, a Republican, told me that this law cut his monthly health insurance premiums by 40%). He ended our war in Iraq, killed Osama Bin Ladin, has a plan to bring our military home from Afghanistan, and he authorized the use of our B2 bombers to join the NATO aerial attack on Libya. We have an energy surplus, unemployment is down, Americans are finding jobs, the Real Estate market in recovering (sold my house for $10,000 more than my asking price before the For Sale sign was in my yard, developers are building new houses and my new house has increased in value by $50,000), four major highways in my city are under construction and he has a plan to reduce our debt. You cannot bail out the banks and auto industry and fight two wars without accumulating massive debt, a problem he inherited but is working to address. Yes, he has made mistakes in judgement on certain issues but can you imagine how much more our government could have accomplished if the time and energy spent to make Barrack a one term president and to repeal the Affordable Care Act was redirected and focused on continuing the momentum of our economic recovery. When you look at the track record of our President, it's understandable to see why his approval rating is 40%.
I think you're lost.

The Barack Obama Kumbayah is over there --------------------------------------> www.democraticunderground.com

Old 06-26-2014, 10:12 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,401,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Very good point. In general, I would consider this a fallacy. But since black people are a monolith and support the President no matter what due to his skin color, it does in fact make sense to pull them completely out of the sample to get a more accurate reading on the Barack's approval rating.
Quote:
Black people are a monolith. It's not racism, it's a fact.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Shows how few black people you know.

Black people don't like Obama as much as you think. They voted for historical reasons and anti-GOP sentiment. Most black people are actually conservative. They are upset with Obama for the following reasons:

1) He is a liberal. Most blacks are conservative on social issues.
2) He is Bush 2.0
3) He hasn't prioritized initiatives for the Black community
4) He let GOP goons dictate the narrative (Samuel L. Jackson "Obama needs to get nasty")

With that being said, black people aren't going to go on some crusade to crucify the one political "voice" we have. Before Obama, Clinton was beloved. For the black community, approval rating is based on empathy for less fortunate folks.

Once again, Aero... how about you actually talk to a black person one day? You might learn a thing or two. Your posts are incredibly ignorant. Stop trying to be an expert on black people.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Shows how few black people you know.

Black people don't like Obama as much as you think. They voted for historical reasons and anti-GOP sentiment. Most black people are actually conservative. They are upset with Obama for the following reasons:

1) He is a liberal. Most blacks are conservative on social issues.
2) He is Bush 2.0
3) He hasn't prioritized initiatives for the Black community
4) He let GOP goons dictate the narrative (Samuel L. Jackson "Obama needs to get nasty")

With that being said, black people aren't going to go on some crusade to crucify the one political "voice" we have. Before Obama, Clinton was beloved. For the black community, approval rating is based on empathy for less fortunate folks.

Once again, Aero... how about you actually talk to a black person one day? You might learn a thing or two. Your posts are incredibly ignorant. Stop trying to be an expert on black people.
In other words, they voted for Obama based on skin color. And that's the reason they are a monolith. Skin color is the connection, no matter what grievances they may have with his policies.

And yes.....I know lots of black people and I communicate with lots of black people. My roots in the DC community are well established. All of the black people I know support Barack Obama in totality. On a few occasions, the Obama discussions I've had with them have gotten mildly heated resulting in a mutual change of topic. Why? Because they just don't see much wrong with the guy and I see all kinds of things wrong with him. Perhaps there are a few grievances they have with him, but the support is there and it is strong.

It's just intellectually dishonest to suggest that black people are not a monolith in support of Barack Obama. The relatively few black non-Barack voters are immaterial to the overall point. A minor blip...and even more minor consideration.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
I know lots of black people and I communicate with lots of black people. My roots in the DC community are very deep. All of the black people I know support Barack Obama in totality. On a few occasions, the Obama discussions I've had with them have gotten mildly heated resulting in a mutual change of topic. Why? Because they just don't see much wrong with the guy and I see all kinds of things wrong with him. Perhaps there are a few grievances they have with him, but the support is there and it is strong.

It's just intellectually dishonest to suggest that black people are not a monolith in support of Barack Obama. The relatively few black non-Barack voters are immaterial to the overall point. A minor blip...and even more minor consideration.
Well, I know from my own family not every black person supports Obama; even those who voted for him.

I know many (whom I've called out) who disagree with his stances on social issues. If you don't like a liberal President why the heck did you vote for him??!?!

The hypocrisy in the black community is real and sickening. I blame it on the church, but that is another topic.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Well, I know from my own family not every black person supports Obama; even those who voted for him.

I know many (whom I've called out) who disagree with his stances on social issues. If you don't like a liberal President why the heck did you vote for him??!?!

The hypocrisy in the black community is real and sickening. I blame it on the church, but that is another topic.
Good post. On this we certainly agree. I've said for a very long time that two different Democratic constituencies don't line up with the ideology of liberalism:

1)Catholics, and;
2)African-Americans

As you mentioned, black people are social conservatives and strong in religion. I really don't know about their overall stance on fiscal conservatism, although one can only surmise that they don't agree with fiscal conservatism since they trade their social conservatism in for the Democratic vote. I really don't understand this compromise at all.

Same with Catholics....who are also social conservatives. Why in the world would these two constituencies trade in their social values when those values don't jibe with liberalism?

None of it makes sense.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Good post. On this we certainly agree. I've said for a very long time that two different Democratic constituencies don't line up with the ideology of liberalism:

1)Catholics, and;
2)African-Americans

As you mentioned, black people are social conservatives and strong in religion. I really don't know about their overall stance on fiscal conservatism, although one can only surmise that they don't agree with fiscal conservatism since they trade their social conservatism in for the Democratic vote. I really don't understand this compromise at all.

Same with Catholics....who are also social conservatives. Why in the world would these two constituencies trade in their social values when those values don't jibe with liberalism?

None of it makes sense.
Well if we can agree on that, can we agree some folks on the right should stop painting all black liberals in the same light?

I am an agnostic atheist left libertarian. Most black people I know do not share my political beliefs. They are socially conservative. If the GOP weren't so apathetic to the black community they could win the black vote easily. Their own fear of minorities prevents this from happening.

I can admit that I only like seeing Blacks vote Democrat for my own interest. They really should be voting Republican based off their stances.

Old 06-26-2014, 02:30 PM

31,885 posts, read 26,916,776 times
Quote:
In other words, they voted for Obama based on skin color. And that's the reason they are a monolith. Skin color is the connection, no matter what grievances they may have with his policies.

And yes.....I know lots of black people and I communicate with lots of black people. My roots in the DC community are well established. All of the black people I know support Barack Obama in totality. On a few occasions, the Obama discussions I've had with them have gotten mildly heated resulting in a mutual change of topic. Why? Because they just don't see much wrong with the guy and I see all kinds of things wrong with him. Perhaps there are a few grievances they have with him, but the support is there and it is strong.

Not skin color but race, and yes it did matter for electing an AA POTUS has been a long cherished goal of that community. However to say every single African American that voted cast ballots for Obama or even bothered in the first place is wrong. Just wrong.

Know plenty of African Americans that didn't vote for Obama in 2008 and also in 2012. Then there were those that did the first time around but not second.

Obama does not have to claim 100% of the AA vote, just enough to give him an edge. It was white/European Americans voting in great numbers for Obama each time that put him over.

Finally it must be said African Americans just like Whites/Europeans hold all sorts of social issues and views, that is aren't always conservative.

In case you haven't noticed despite the supposed face of SSM being white middle class and above gays it is African American pro-athletes that have "come out". Indeed research shows a majority of those benefitting or at least in good number from same sex marriage happens to be African American along with Hispanic/Latino gays and lesbians. That is to say despite the image of socially conservative the African American gay community is not all that small or totally invisible.

It was African Americans in Maryland voting in good numbers that pushed that state's ballot initiative for SSM over, this despite that state being one of the most religious with angry protests from not just Catholic pulpits but AA churches as well.

Finally though often lumped into one group "Black" Americans range from those who have been on this soil for hundreds of years to recent arrivals from Africa, Haiti and other West Indies countries. In my experience have found the latter two far more socially conservative than the first.

Old 06-26-2014, 02:36 PM

26,456 posts, read 15,049,695 times
Obama's RCP average of approval polls is currently 41.5% and -12.4% under water.

That does seem really high for this corrupt and inept guy.

RealClearPolitics - Election Other - President Obama Job Approval
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.