Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 05:41 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
You think a social security check would cover ALL expenses for the senior AND a full-time caregiver?

Seriously?
And that's why people I work with keep their jobs. For the 8 hours they're working, they hire home health aids at a much cheaper wage than they themselves get or hire a visiting nurse if more is needed. Then they do the in home care the rest of the time.

One woman did this both for her father and her mother -- she couldn't stand the idea of nursing homes so she hired caregivers just for the 8 hours 5 days a week. She would not have wanted to give up the money she makes. Her parents social security checks almost covered the visiting nurse or others and there was the sale of their house for some her mother's care -- the father was already deceased by then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 10:11 AM

766 posts, read 1,395,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
What about selling her house since she was no longer able to live in and take care of herself? Use that money to pay caretakers.
h

She didn't have a house to sell.... by this time! We were scrapping the bottom of the barrel. My Dad died 1975, when I was 11 yrs old! She spent those remaining yrs as a widow to a child. She eventually got her way back into the 'working world'.

Everybody has a different story to tell.... let me offer another story.

I ALMOST got remarried again! He was my North, my South, my East, my West.... he was my Compass!!! It only took me 16+yrs to find the love of my life!!! But then the Cancer Call hit.... and everything started unraveling before my very eyes... AND I COULDN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO STOP IT!!!!

Make a long story short.... him and I came from 2 very opposite worlds! He didn't lose his Dad at age 11, like I did. By the time his parents died... he INHERITED SOME BIGTIME!!!!

Fast forward the story even more..... when he finally died... BECAUSE of the inheritance he received from his parents... add that on top of what his assets had to offer....

his 2 daughters (only in their 20's) just inherited $10 MILLION dollars EACH!!!!!!!!!!

See the difference in the stories????

Don't always ASSUME anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-05-2014, 10:51 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Well I just don't see how with already over $17 trillion in debt and all these many thousands of Central Americans arriving who will need all kinds of government handouts, that we can afford to give all Americans equivalent to a living wage because they want to stay home and care for relatives.

Yes it would be nice -- but us taxpayers are really maxed out now.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:53 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Well I just don't see how with already over $17 trillion in debt and all these many thousands of Central Americans arriving who will need all kinds of government handouts, that we can afford to give all Americans equivalent to a living wage because they want to stay home and care for relatives.

Yes it would be nice -- but us taxpayers are really maxed out now.
If it's cheaper than a nursing home (and it should be as nursing homes are very expensive), it might make fiscal sense.

Old 07-05-2014, 11:03 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
I want to be paid for baby making practice.

Hey, I will be caring for the little tyke in the future, correct? Might as well start paying me now.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:08 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,105,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
If it's cheaper than a nursing home (and it should be as nursing homes are very expensive), it might make fiscal sense.
Exactly, but that has been said already over and over. You will never convince some and I believe they think it will never happen to them or maybe it has to before they understand it. At home care is a lot less expensive and better. And I have to say, I'm reading a lot of people on hear making assumptions about us and the home care system that aren't true at all. A lot of you don't know what you are talking about. Of course that happens on every single thread on CD. Why should this one be different?

If you are so against this system that works better for everyone, what then? The third world country way that just offers nothing?

Old 07-05-2014, 12:12 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,105,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
I want to be paid for baby making practice.

Hey, I will be caring for the little tyke in the future, correct? Might as well start paying me now.
I can't speak for every state there is, but in Idaho the home care program that pays me is only to care for disabled adults, not disabled children. Yes it is reasonable to expect people to raise their children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies