Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 04:46 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure how many states are currently doing this, but I do know that Calif made a big deal about it several years ago when they were rolling it out. In these situations, the State is paying a salary for someone to take care of their mother/father/son/dtr/partner/husband/wife. Should tax dollars be used for this or should someone care for their loved one without monetary comp simply because it is the right thing to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 07:44 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,882,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I'm not sure how many states are currently doing this, but I do know that Calif made a big deal about it several years ago when they were rolling it out. In these situations, the State is paying a salary for someone to take care of their mother/father/son/dtr/partner/husband/wife. Should tax dollars be used for this or should someone care for their loved one without monetary comp simply because it is the right thing to do?
Many people must give up their employment to care of family members and have no income other than what little they receive from the state.
I know of one situation where the daughter had to give up her job to take care of her aged mother. She has done so for about six years and never applied for nor received any aid. They barely scrape by on the mother's Social Security and what her daughter makes selling cosmetics door to door in her neighborhood. They have no transportation and must depend on friends to get groceries, etc.
She gets no help, financial or otherwise, from her three siblings. She has refused to seek financial aid because she considers it charity, even though her friends are urging her to do so. She is exactly thye kind of person the system was designed for.
Unfortunately there will always be those who take advantage of the situation, but there are those who truly need a hand.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:26 PM

1,806 posts, read 1,737,663 times
So they go work and the state pays someone else. The net result probably costs more. What are you whining about?

Old 06-25-2014, 09:32 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
So they go work and the state pays someone else. The net result probably costs more. What are you whining about?
True, or they have to put them in a nursing home which cost even more.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:45 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:

They use to here in Texas, but stopped it because of the massive fraud that was occurring and neglected elderly.

I didn't get a dime for taking care of my dad for 2 years and the wait for a VA Nurse aid(not full time) was 2 years.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:36 PM

16,600 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
Unreal how far this country has fallen when it comes to self reliance and responsibility. For the vast majority of our history, families have looked out for their elders or disabled family members because it is the right and moral thing to do. Now states like CA (which is going bankrupt) buy into this notion that fellow tax payers must pay for people from cradle to grave. Worse yet, they want to give financial incentives to corrupt the very fabric of society with liberals leading the way.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:53 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,185,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Unreal how far this country has fallen when it comes to self reliance and responsibility. For the vast majority of our history, families have looked out for their elders or disabled family members because it is the right and moral thing to do. Now states like CA (which is going bankrupt) buy into this notion that fellow tax payers must pay for people from cradle to grave. Worse yet, they want to give financial incentives to corrupt the very fabric of society with liberals leading the way.

Yes, helping family members take care of family members is corrupting the very fabric of our society.

What kind of society would help take care of the elderly and disabled?

lol

Old 06-26-2014, 12:35 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
Yes, helping family members take care of family members is corrupting the very fabric of our society.

What kind of society would help take care of the elderly and disabled?

lol
He didn't say not to care for them. He most likely just doesn't think that the taxpayers should have to pay for it. I'm skeptical of the program because how do you know if the family member is "sliding along" because the recipient would not argue about the quality of the care? It seems to me that some want these caregiving gigs so that they can stay at home AND make $$.

Old 06-26-2014, 12:37 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Should relatives get PAID from the State to take care of their loved ones?
Were the relatives paid to raise their loved ones?

No.

Old 06-26-2014, 12:40 AM

2,687 posts, read 2,185,556 times
Quote:
He didn't say not to care for them. He most likely just doesn't think that the taxpayers should have to pay for it. I'm skeptical of the program because how do you know if the family member is "sliding along" because the recipient would not argue about the quality of the care? It seems to me that some want these caregiving gigs so that they can stay at home AND make $$.
It could be the difference between putting a person in a facility (which is more expensive) and letting the person live at home. It could be the difference between a disabled or elderly person having to deal with a complete stranger coming into their home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies