Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 08:52 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,785,325 times

Advertisements

The Media and Advertising should promote and encourage marriage between races!

It would be nice if they would do some (any) investigative journalism instead of pushing whatever popular cause comes up today.

Where is any jounalistic curiosity about what government officials in the White House and other agencies outside the IRS received or sent emails to Lois Lerrner in 2009-2011, and whether they have copies of them? How many reporters are pounding officials' phones or desks, and not letting up?

Has it occurred to any of the media (other than Fox News) to talk to any of Bowe Bergdahl's squad mates, commanding officers etc. about what they saw and heard the day he walked away? and the several days after?

Are any of them the least bit interested in a timeline of Obama's executive orders about illegal alien children for the last few years, letting them stay in the country, and today's resulting deluge of unaccompanied minors flooding our border?

Aren't the media at least a little curious about the communicable diseases, long eradicated in this country (polio, TB, plague etc.) the illegal aliens might be bringing in, after evading the normal (legal) immigration procedures on the books and the medical exams they always include? Curious enough to bring a team of doctors into some off the illegal-alien children's detention camps, examininng the quarantined and non-quarantined areas, and publishinng reports (without names) of what they find?

No, they're too busy publishing front-page expose's about some guy who bit some other guy during a soccer game in a foreign country. And if they can free up any space from the (unlikely though it seems) there's always stories about race-mixing marriages demanding to be brought out to the public.

Last edited by Little-Acorn; 06-27-2014 at 09:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 08:57 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Schmancy View Post
By all means, protect your child from any reality that doesn't march with yours. What a shock the real world will be to her...or maybe she'll just realize you're a little 'off'. When she stops discussing these matters with you, please don't think you've won a victory. She's telling her boyfriend (or girlfriend) not to bring this stuff up around you because you get mad.
It's my job as a parent to protect my child and teach her how to think, even if (or maybe particularly because of) people like you who would attempt to introctrinate her otherwise with "lib-think".

And your version of "reality" is the correct one, right? And can you explain what exactly makes your values superior to mine? She's becoming well-versed in what the real world entails and every day is better able to discern nonsense as she encounters it. Just because something's politically promoted doesn't make it right. And someday it'll be a boyfriend coming home with her. I have no doubts on that. Silly comments like yours don't get under my skin, but you're free to take a shot at another nerve if you care to.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:36 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,796,780 times
PLEASE go back to the original question!

Old 06-27-2014, 09:41 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
A group of us were sitting watching television and one of us said that they see lots of TV ads recently showing married couples of a different race (Ethnic Group). It started an interesting discussion between us. The general feeling is that the media and advertisers have a major impact on how everyone sees the world.

So if we see more and more couples of mixed race in print and television ads, over time we as Americans will see a mixed race couple as the new normal. It is only a matter of time before there will be a number of gay couples shown in mainstream TV ads selling a product.

If America has more mixed race relationships over time this will end racism in the USA. So mixed race couples should be encouraged in television shows, in print and TV ads.

The feeling of our television watching group was that the media and advertisers need to show even more mixed race couples and also show gay couples in ads. This will encourage Americans to accept these types of relationships.

Do you agree?
Americans already see mixed race relationships as normal. This is not the 1940s.

Well, unless you're a conservative, of course, in which case you yearn for the days when blacks were slaves, gays were imprisoned, women stayed home, and kids worked in coal mines.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:48 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,936 times
The preoccupation with race and sexual orientation on these forums borders on disturbing. Really, really strange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Working_Hard
Desensitize and normalize, eh? Make the unacceptable seem unremarkable.

I've had the talk with my daughter when she came home and said a new classmate had "two mommies". I explained reality to her and think she gets it. I'll keep at it as much as needed. We've since moved her to a different private school and don't expect to see such nonsense there.
Based on the behaviors classmates and relatives who were raised the same way I predict her rebellious stage is going to be epic.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-27-2014 at 10:04 AM.. Reason: response to deleted post

Old 06-27-2014, 09:58 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Desensitize and normalize, eh? Make the unacceptable seem unremarkable.

I've had the talk with my daughter when she came home and said a new classmate had "two mommies". I explained reality to her and think she gets it. I'll keep at it as much as needed. We've since moved her to a different private school and don't expect to see such nonsense there.
Well, there's nothing like ensuring you pass your bigotry on to your children

And sorry to burst your gay-hating bubble, but plenty of us gay parents send our children to private schools. And we've never experienced any bigotry from other parents or their kids, and no one has ever left the school to avoid having their kids be in a class with kids who have two dads. But then we don't live in some southern backwater bible belt city.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:00 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
Of course love and chemistry should be the final decision in choosing a spouse but if mix race relationships became the norm and more acceptable many people would chose someone who is a different race as their wife or husband who would not today because it is still not accepted in some circles. The advertising industry can help stop the stigma.
Where do you live that it's not accepted? We have interracial couples all over our neighborhood and I can't believe there are people in this country who would be against such relationships. I'm gay and in an interracial relationship and never has anyone expressed an issue with our races.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:02 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Well, there's nothing like ensuring you pass your bigotry on to your children

But then we don't live in some southern backwater bible belt city.
But it's ok to pass your values onto your children? Please explain the difference.

Neither do I, but nor do I live in lib-land. How are those pot shops working out? I guess you're ok with your kids patronizing them at a young age, right?

Old 06-27-2014, 10:02 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 28 days ago)

27,647 posts, read 16,138,284 times
How very important!.. NOT. Since when did life imitate TV? How sad. Must watch tv to see what life is about and how to behave? recipe for disaster. Besides where will be the diversity once we are all mucked up?

Old 06-27-2014, 10:03 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,508,677 times
Quote:
A group of us were sitting watching television and one of us said that they see lots of TV ads recently showing married couples of a different race (Ethnic Group). It started an interesting discussion between us. The general feeling is that the media and advertisers have a major impact on how everyone sees the world.

So if we see more and more couples of mixed race in print and television ads, over time we as Americans will see a mixed race couple as the new normal. It is only a matter of time before there will be a number of gay couples shown in mainstream TV ads selling a product.

If America has more mixed race relationships over time this will end racism in the USA. So mixed race couples should be encouraged in television shows, in print and TV ads.

The feeling of our television watching group was that the media and advertisers need to show even more mixed race couples and also show gay couples in ads. This will encourage Americans to accept these types of relationships.

Do you agree?
Do you have a % of mixed race/ethnicity/gay couples in mind to encourage acceptance. I'll assume 100% is too high. Would a % that roughly reflects national stats be ok ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies