Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 04:48 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,028,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Why not get local farmers?
How many farmers live in Detroit? That's a tough job and one you need to know how to do.

I will day this about Detroit, they are in a very unique position and if the can pull themselves out of the toilet have vast opportunities with all that vacant land to build a very modern city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 09:36 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,129,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
How many farmers live in Detroit? That's a tough job and one you need to know how to do.

I will day this about Detroit, they are in a very unique position and if the can pull themselves out of the toilet have vast opportunities with all that vacant land to build a very modern city.
It's not like you need 100,000 farmers. You need a mix of farmers and laborers... I'm pretty sure you can find both in Detroit.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:43 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,853,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I do like that idea, but, urban soil is often seriously contaminated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
It's not like you need 100,000 farmers. You need a mix of farmers and laborers... I'm pretty sure you can find both in Detroit.

That's the issue in Detroit. The city, as well as a few fed alphabet agencies, have determined that there is a lot of contaminated soil in the city. You can plant trees, but you don't want to plant food.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:50 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Detroit is dying. Anyone that buys a home there is mentally deficient.
Liberals will consider this a racist statement.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:52 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
my understanding is that the chinese are coming to fix detroit, not for the current residents but for themselves.
i predict a turnaround of sorts if this happens. they are not coming to serve the current residents like prior waves of asian immigrants did aka koreans, but to displace the current residents. this is social engineering courtesy our government.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:31 AM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Detroit has serious problems, everyone knows this, but the solutions aren't going to be easy nor always pleasant.

For one thing what remains of the population in many areas is too scattered and otherwise spread out for Detroit to provide essential services.

Where you have one or two houses being lived in on a street, and perhaps a handful in an area it just makes no fiscal sense to even try to provide police, fire, water, sewer, transportation, etc... just for those few households. Long story short the city of Detroit's footprint is going to shrink. People living in largely abandoned areas are going to need to move either into the new "core" or somewhere, but move they must.

Once that dust has settled the blighted, abandoned and derelict areas can be razed and cease providing a haven for criminals, vermin and so forth.

Anyone remotely believing Detroit will once again have a population to settle these now largely abandoned areas is dreaming. Detroit largely boomed from WWI though the post WWII era due to manufacturing. That ship has largely sailed from American shores and if it does comeback to Detroit it won't be nearly what it once was.

Really sad thing is Detroit has some lovely housing stock, even in largely abandoned areas. Scrappers, squatters and criminals have taken their toll but pockets remain.

Old 06-28-2014, 03:19 AM

2,523 posts, read 2,202,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post

You know the state of Michigan has farmer. Also it is kind of weird for a metro of 4.9 million to have farms in its urban core.

Old 06-28-2014, 04:05 AM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Send the illegals there...That should be enough to scare them into staying in their country.

Detroit is not salvageable. The residents that remain and the mentality there makes it unpalatable for an honest worker and taxpayer to want to reside there.

Old 06-28-2014, 05:37 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,174,531 times
The areas around Detroit are growing. Last time I was there was 2012 but there were buildings going up everywhere just north of Detroit.

This may seem simplistic but it would seem to me that all Detroit has to do is the same thing the areas around them are doing.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:28 AM

2,523 posts, read 2,202,234 times
Someone needs to tell me why we were trying to build up Iraq and Afghanistan while Detroit was crumbling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies