Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 03:38 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,889,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Look around the world, particularly in countries like Canada, Australia, and "liberal" NYC, and you find far lower gun homicide rates than the cities here.
lol, it's baffling to me why anyone would point to an area that has less GUNS and say they have less GUN deaths and think they are actually proving something.

Hey, I bet areas with less cars have less traffic fatalities.

Hey, I bet areas with less knives have less stabbings

Hey, I bet areas with less hammers have less people bludgeoned to death with hammers.

Nah, really?

Of course areas that have less GUNS are going to have less people killed with GUNS, they don't have as many GUNS!!!! That's like saying buildings with no electric are less likely to have an electrical fire....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 03:40 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,401,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
lol, it's baffling to me why anyone would point to an area that has less GUNS and say they have less GUN deaths and think they are actually proving something.

Hey, I bet areas with less cars have less traffic fatalities.

Hey, I bet areas with less knives have less stabbings

Hey, I bet areas with less hammers have less people bludgeoned to death with hammers.

Nah, really?

Of course areas that have less GUNS are going to have less people killed with GUNS, they don't have as many GUNS!!!! That's like saying buildings with no electric are less likely to have an electrical fire....

....thank you for confirming my point.

Yes! We should absolutely be for less guns.

Sucks for the gun industry. They've gotten filthy rich off selling fear. What are Americans so afraid of?

Old 06-28-2014, 03:41 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,401,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
No, the solution is to allow for all good people living in these crime ridden areas to arm themselves if they want. Look at Detroit. Do you consider the opinion of the Detroit police chief who disagrees with you? He encourages all law abiding citizens to get trained and get their carry permit, so obviously your "anyone who has lived in a big city knows how stupid this train of thought is" comment isn't altogether accurate.
A detroit police officer isn't credible, sorry.

Old 06-28-2014, 03:45 PM

46,259 posts, read 27,071,273 times
Quote:
Look around the world, particularly in countries like Canada, Australia, and "liberal" NYC, and you find far lower gun homicide rates than the cities here.
Provide suicide rates for those countries.....compared to here...

Old 06-28-2014, 03:47 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,889,603 times
Quote:

Sucks for the gun industry. They've gotten filthy rich off selling fear. What are Americans so afraid of?
Sorry, I didn't prove your point, so don't get too excited. Is your goal to reduce GUN crime, or is it to reduce crime in general? Does having less guns equal less crime in general, or does it just equal less GUN crime?

Prove it.....

On second thought, don't. I don't believe any statistical data from either side on this issue. Both sides like to twist it to fit their agenda. Really hard to find any credible info out there, but I will say this. According to the FBI, crime has been cut in half the last thirty years. At that same time, gun purchases have been sky rocketing. That's not to say that more guns =less crime, but it does wholely disprove the notion that more guns = more crime. Checkmate.

Old 06-28-2014, 03:47 PM

46,259 posts, read 27,071,273 times
So Opin_Yunated......I answered...now you won't answer my questions? And my question even has a "?" at the end....

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Yes I will...However, your comments below do not require or even represent a response requested, they are straight comments...

Anyway....

Yes, gun laws are a variable...they always will be.

Are you willing to remove suicide from the total of gun deaths? If not, are you willing to prove that those people who committed suicide would still be alive if guns were not around?

Do you think, in the United States, we are better or worse, in the bush 2 presidency, clinton era.....or bush 1 era.....

Old 06-28-2014, 04:36 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,156,860 times
Quote:

Apple makes more profit in one quarter than the entire gun industry sells (revenue) in one year. The gun industry is not getting filthy rich.

As for your point - is there one? Please just come out and say it. Violent crime, especially homicides, are at 50 year lows in the US. "Assault" weapons were banned for ten years - and crime was unaffected.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:36 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,887,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post

The moron is strong in this one.
This should be a sticky.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:42 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,887,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
The World Health Organization defines Violence as "the intentional use of physical force or power, threatened or actual, against oneself, another person, or against a group or community, which either results in or has a high likelihood of resulting in injury, death, psychological harm, maldevelopment, or deprivation,

Violence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Suicides are clearly violent acts
With a merciful ending...

Why quote anything from WHO? This is the USA, not some 3rd world country overseen by a handful of wacky left organizations hell bent on improving the world as they deem fit.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:48 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,231,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
States with the Most Gun Violence - 24/7 Wall St.

In general, these states have a few things in common:
  • Weak gun laws.
  • High poverty rates.
  • Low educational attainment.
  • Dominated by Republicans and conservatives.

1. Louisiana
2. Mississippi
3. Alaska
4. Wyoming
5. Oklahoma
6. Montana
7. Arkansas
8. Alabama
9. New Mexico
10. South Carolina
I have been waiting for someone to post this but i guess i missed it.

Gun control: After Connecticut shooting, could Australia's laws provide a lesson?

After a 1996 Mass Shooting, Australia Enacted Strict Gun Laws. It Hasn't Had a Similar Massacre Since.

At the heart of the push was a massive buyback of more than 600,000 semi-automatic shotguns and rifles, or about one-fifth of all firearms in circulation in Australia. The country’s new gun laws prohibited private sales, required that all weapons be individually registered to their owners, and required that gun buyers present a “genuine reason” for needing each weapon at the time of the purchase. (Self-defense did not count.) In the wake of the tragedy, polls showed public support for these measures at upwards of 90 percent.

homicides by firearm plunged 59 percent between 1995 and 2006, with no corresponding increase in non-firearm-related homicides. The drop in suicides by gun was even steeper: 65 percent. Studies found a close correlation between the sharp declines and the gun buybacks. Robberies involving a firearm also dropped significantly. Meanwhile, home invasions did not increase, contrary to fears that firearm ownership is needed to deter such crimes. But here’s the most stunning statistic. In the decade before the Port Arthur massacre, there had been 11 mass shootings in the country. There hasn’t been a single one in Australia since.

They are making a lot of sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies