Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 01:08 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,484,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The God Father of the Tea Party Ron Paul, has been labelled the Libertarian side of the Republican party.
The Ron Paul rEVOLution are against both the welfare state and foreign aid.
Where are some of these people getting their ideas about the Libertarians and what they believe? The do not support federal give away, regardless as to who is getting the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 01:12 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,168,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
That may be the most bizarre thing I've ever read on CD & that's saying something. Libertarians are not one simple ideology, so that needs to be understood. That said, I don't know a single Libertarian who thinks the Southern border should be left open. Not one. I hold many Libertarian beliefs, but not all so I don't speak for everyone. I believe we should bring all of our troops home from overseas. I believe we should end foreign aid. I believe we should use some of those soldiers to man our borders because illegal immigration is a matter of Nation Security. I believe we should also reform the immigration process so that people can actually apply & get a Visa the right way, without having to wait years for an appointment. I believe the "War on Terror" is mostly a scam. Why am I supposed to worry about terrorists in Yemen or Pakistan, or sit by as rent-a-cops strip search American children at airports, while terrorists can simply walk across our borders? Does not compute.
That is the Libertarian Party's official position on border control. Gary Johnson, the New Mexico governor, who ran for President in 2012 also held this position. This is the position of most libertarians. That may not be your position, but you are in the minority among libertarians.

Old 06-28-2014, 02:42 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,174,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Did you notice the most in my comment, and most libertarians are pro choice. I was not pro choice, but no longer consider myself libertarian.

I've only met a handful of religious libertarians, that is definitely not true about tea partiers.

Generalizations never happen in politics right? This whole thread is based on the generalization that libertarians and tea partiers don't mix, which is somewhat ridiculous, but I was pointing out a reason some don't mix.

actually you are correct, most Libertarians are pro-choice. the difference is, is that Libertarians do not believe in forcing their choice onto you.

also, Libertarians believe that the choice of such things as abortion should be handled at the state level and not the federal level.

Old 06-28-2014, 04:01 PM

18,416 posts, read 7,055,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
One position consistently espoused by libertarians is that all people are interchangeable and that outcomes of a society are based on legal and economic models. This is why most libertarians believe in open borders. They think that all people should have freedom of movement, even across national borders, since border enforcement is a use of force.

Do I need to even explain why that is wrong?
The open borders policy and namby-pamby foreign policy are about the only parts of the party's platform that keeps me from officially identifying as a Libertarian.
Those are the only things that hold Libertarians back from being a viable third party IMO.

Old 06-28-2014, 04:18 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,005,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
That is the Libertarian Party's official position on border control. Gary Johnson, the New Mexico governor, who ran for President in 2012 also held this position. This is the position of most libertarians. That may not be your position, but you are in the minority among libertarians.
I voted for Johnson and lived in NM for a while. Beautiful state & he was a great governor. He left office as one of the only four states in the country with a balanced budget and a budget surplus. He might run again in 2016 for the Libertarian Party Why did he switch from being a Republican to representing the Libertarian Party?

"It was difficult because I have a lot of Republican history, and a lot of Republican supporters. But in the final analysis, as many, many commentators have said since watching how I governed in New Mexico, I am a Libertarian - that is, someone who is fiscally very conservative but holds freedom-based positions on many social issues" Gary Johnson

As far as immigration, while representing the Libertarian Party, I love this quote:

"A 10-foot wall just requires an 11-foot ladder" Gary Johnson '12

"Johnson favors issuing work visas, rather than granting amnesty citizenship or permanent residency, to people who want to work in the United States so that they pay payroll and income taxes.

He would require background checks of visa applicants, because federal authorities do need to know who is crossing our borders and be able to prevent criminals from entering the country.

He believes that much of the Mexican-American border problems are due to drug prohibition, and that ending the prohibition of marijuana and the War on Drugs would end 75% of the violence along the border."

Last edited by pollyrobin; 06-28-2014 at 04:38 PM..

Old 06-28-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
The open borders policy and namby-pamby foreign policy are about the only parts of the party's platform that keeps me from officially identifying as a Libertarian.
Those are the only things that hold Libertarians back from being a viable third party IMO.
If you think the Libertarian Pary has a namby pamby foreign policy then you do not understand our policy. But, war hawks & chicken hawks know where the door is.

We are a young party ('71) but we are the 3rd largest party in the US and we are growing

More Evidence: Libertarians Growing Rapidly in Numbers and Influence - The Advocates for Self-Government

“After a dozen-plus years of government mismanagement of the economy, foreign policy, and basic civil liberties under Republicans and Democrats, a record number of Americans rightly believe that the government has too much power. Libertarians are young, intense, principled, and highly engaged in politics. They are going to be around for a long time to come, and in ever-larger numbers. The only question left unanswered is who they will vote for.”

Old 06-28-2014, 04:35 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,607,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
As a libertarian my view is we should be protecting our borders first before we even think about foreign intervention in other countries. Our policy is insane and stupid. My view is we should have troops on the whole border where it can be crossed and it should have started back in the days of Eisenhower. I know some will say what about the cost? make it part of the agreement where all recruits { as needed} would have border duty. I think it beats and is cheaper then letting them run across the border and popping out American babies.
As a libertarian, that's my view too!

Old 06-28-2014, 04:39 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,459,569 times
Totally consistent libertarians advocate ending all welfare-type programs for everyone, not only illegal aliens. But most libertarians do not wish to associate themselves with the filthy taint of racism, scapegoating and demagogy that infests the tea party.

Old 06-28-2014, 04:43 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,529,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
As a libertarian my view is we should be protecting our borders first before we even think about foreign intervention in other countries. Our policy is insane and stupid. My view is we should have troops on the whole border where it can be crossed and it should have started back in the days of Eisenhower. I know some will say what about the cost? make it part of the agreement where all recruits { as needed} would have border duty. I think it beats and is cheaper then letting them run across the border and popping out American babies.

We are thinking alike.

What awesome basic training.
Protecting from an invasion.

Old 06-28-2014, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
But most libertarians do not wish to associate themselves with the filthy taint of racism, scapegoating and demagogy that infests the tea party.
And since the Tea Party can't seem to find a good exterminator to get rid of ^^^ they should cross over to the Libertarian Party
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies