Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 04:59 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,181,556 times

Advertisements

I noted that people of differing beliefs can get along but I do have to note.....the one thing I can't seem to get past is people demonizing other groups of people based upon nothing more than their own smallness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 04:59 PM

310 posts, read 256,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonR View Post
If one were to aggregate all of the billions flushed down the toilet providing welfare, healthcare, housing, legal services, food, education, etc., for illegal aliens, it would dwarf what is being spent on foreign aid.

So then why aren't the libertarians and america-firsters railing against all of that wasted money? How much better would the US be if all those hundreds of billions were spent on americans, rebuilding the US economy, on much needed infrastructure improvements, etc.?

Why aren't libertarians standing aside the Tea Party activists to stop this criminal theft of american tax dollars so that the corporate filth and far left vermin like obama and the democratic party can benefit from the illegal alien invasion?
I have no idea where you get your information from, but you should really find a new source. Libertarians are very against foreign aid, nation building, and intervention.

Old 06-28-2014, 05:01 PM

310 posts, read 256,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
The open borders policy and namby-pamby foreign policy are about the only parts of the party's platform that keeps me from officially identifying as a Libertarian.
Those are the only things that hold Libertarians back from being a viable third party IMO.
I don't see what is so "namby-pamby" about staying out of affairs that we have no business interfering with. Libertarians would rather save all of that wasted money while better protecting the country, instead of spreading it too thin, as it is right now.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:00 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,016,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I noted that people of differing beliefs can get along but I do have to note.....the one thing I can't seem to get past is people demonizing other groups of people based upon nothing more than their own smallness.
The poster did state "taint". Hey, no denying the Tea Party has gotten a bad rap. But all the PR they've tried to do, does not seem to make it go away.

Just like it's easy for folks to dismiss the Libertarian Party by saying we want no government, they do the same thing with the TP by saying they are all racist. It's not true but it sticks.

Both the Dems & the Republican parties are guilty of passing those things off as fact.

IMO TP should cross over to Libertarian Party - there's power in #'s.
We can't do it the other way around, because we were here first

Old 06-28-2014, 08:55 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,181,556 times
I'm not interested in what you call yourself, just in the ideas.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:36 PM

18,454 posts, read 7,085,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
If you think the Libertarian Pary has a namby pamby foreign policy then you do not understand our policy. But, war hawks & chicken hawks know where the door is.

We are a young party ('71) but we are the 3rd largest party in the US and we are growing

More Evidence: Libertarians Growing Rapidly in Numbers and Influence - The Advocates for Self-Government

“After a dozen-plus years of government mismanagement of the economy, foreign policy, and basic civil liberties under Republicans and Democrats, a record number of Americans rightly believe that the government has too much power. Libertarians are young, intense, principled, and highly engaged in politics. They are going to be around for a long time to come, and in ever-larger numbers. The only question left unanswered is who they will vote for.â€

I wouldn't say I'm a war hawk, war monger etc.
However, I do realize that the US playing the part of world cop is sort of a necessary evil.
No, it would not be my choice in a perfect world and I know it costs a lot of tax money to maintain military presence all over the globe.

But human nature in a non perfect world means that if we don't fill the role, then someone else will quickly step in to fill the void.
The world could do far worse than the USA in that role and frankly, I'd much rather be the police than the policed because paying the cost to be the boss is always preferable to the alternative.

And BTW, "showing the door" to people who are largely sympathetic to your overall philosophy but may disagree on a few points is no way to grow your party.
If thats your attitude then the Libertarian party will continue to be viewed as a fringe element by the majority of Americans.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:23 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,475,931 times
Quote:
I wouldn't say I'm a war hawk, war monger etc.
However, I do realize that the US playing the part of world cop is sort of a necessary evil.
No, it would not be my choice in a perfect world and I know it costs a lot of tax money to maintain military presence all over the globe.
Necessary for whom to do what?

Quote:
And BTW, "showing the door" to people who are largely sympathetic to your overall philosophy but may disagree on a few points is no way to grow your party.
If thats your attitude then the Libertarian party will continue to be viewed as a fringe element by the majority of Americans.
What does the majority of Americans think of the teabaggers?

Old 06-29-2014, 01:10 AM

Quote:

The world could do far worse than the USA in that role and frankly, I'd much rather be the police than the policed because paying the cost to be the boss is always preferable to the alternative.

Our foreign policy is kind of our major thing
I do not know how you could be "largely" sympathetic to our overall philosophy if
you think the US should be the world police.

"Peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations -- entangling alliances with none."

The twin pillars of a sane foreign policy are:

(1) Building positive relationships, with an emphasis on free trade, and

(2) Avoiding negative relationships, with an emphasis on military non-intervention.

So, once again, there really is no need to join the Libertarian Party if you don't agree with the
cornerstone philosophy of our party. You would just be wasting your time IMO.
Your time would be better served in the other two parties that continue down that avenue of
playing "boss" around the world for naught.

But, eventually there will have to be more of us, than them simply for this country to survive.
Because continuing perpetual war;

"All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know,
that war is the surest and the shortest means to accomplish it." A. Tocqueville

Old 06-29-2014, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdfgjzdfhu View Post
The God Father of the Tea Party Ron Paul, has been labelled the Libertarian side of the Republican party.
He was the Presidential Candidate for the Libertarian Party in 1988

Old 06-29-2014, 05:36 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,381,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Libertarians are brainwashed by the liberal media and think the Tea Party is a bunch of racist rednecks and they don't want to be associated with a bunch of racist rednecks
No, you and the op have tge TEA party and libertarian wings mixed up.

TEA party members support ssi, medicare, prescription drug plans, foreign wars, etc. The libertarian wing dislikes most of those things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies