Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 08:12 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,365,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
Yes, that ignorant pitchfork crowd is likely to take to the streets screaming for more tax cuts for billionaires. It's like the French Revolution in reverse.
How do tax cuts make a person poor?

The ignorant pitch ford crowd are the ones that do not know the difference between taxing income and wealth. They keep insisting on raising the income tax up but people like Romney still end up only paying 17%

I am really for equality and support a flat tax no deductions with a generous exemption for everyone, the rich and the poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 08:17 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,409,928 times
only?

what should "people like Romney" pay?

Old 06-29-2014, 08:23 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,365,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
only?

what should "people like Romney" pay?
What ever the flat tax is set at minus exemption like all other Americans. It's called equality, ya know where everyone is treated equal with out discrimination of how much money they have.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:29 AM

25,732 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
Yes, that ignorant pitchfork crowd is likely to take to the streets screaming for more tax cuts for billionaires. It's like the French Revolution in reverse.
You've (and 99% of your countrymen) mistaken taxation with punitory covet. If the billionaires have had more services provided them by the government, then yes, they should be paying more taxes to cover the cost of those services. Somehow, I'd doubt that's the case, though.

Taxation is supposed to be a fee for service rendered you by the government. What it has turned out to be is get-even-jealousy-scheme for most, a free-ride card for some, and a way for the government to sodomize the public, in general.

I really do not get you people at all. You vote for vermin that turn the government into a giant mechanical raping machine, systematically stripping, brutalizing, forcing themselves into your trousers, and pillaging your nation. And you also whine about big corporations and rich CEOs, all the while purchasing every single item in your lives from those very same corporations. And then you have the balls to yawp about it? What do you expect them to be when everyone in the country has come to depend on them for their every need, dirt poor?

I have zero sympathy for any of you. You have the power at the ballot box to disband the pack of rapists running your government. You don't. Rather, you give them a thumbs-up, a high-five, and keep voting them in. And you have the power to stop buying from all those evil corporations that you hate so much. You don't. Rather, you consume their products like locust. And then you bellyache about it. Pretty pathetic when you think about it. Your result is quite condign. Quit whining. I think you need to turn that pitchfork on yourself; it's the only reasonable recourse at this point.

Last edited by ChrisC; 06-29-2014 at 08:41 AM..

Old 06-29-2014, 08:39 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
You've (and 99% of your countrymen) mistaken taxation with punitory covet. If the billionaires have had more services provided them by the government, then yes, they should be paying more taxes to cover the cost of those services. Somehow, I'd doubt that's the case, though.
Based on what? It's no secret that the top 1% pays twice their fair share of federal income taxes based on income share, and that the middle class only pays half their fair share. That's a 4 times difference.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Based on what? It's no secret that the top 1% pays twice their fair share of federal income taxes based on income share, and that the middle class only pays half their fair share. That's a 4 times difference.
I think you misinterpreted that paragraph.

What I'm saying is that if a billionaire consumes X Amount of government services and a 30K-per-year guy consumes that same X Amount of government services, their taxes due (if things were "fair") would be exactly the same. You don't go into the grocery store and pay twice as much for a loaf of bread as someone making half your wages, do you?

That last line in your quoted paragraph (the "I'd doubt it" comment) was meant to point out that the billionaire probably uses less government service, thus should be paying less in tax.

Of course, we all know that taxation will never be "fair" like that. Too many people see it as a way to "get back at the rich" or as a "Santa Claus scheme." So taxation will probably never be based on amount of government service rendered, as it should. That's why in a practical sense, I support the "Fair Tax" idea. At least it is close to being "fair" even though the Fair Tax is based on the wrong kind of consumption.

Last edited by ChrisC; 06-29-2014 at 09:07 AM..

Old 06-29-2014, 08:58 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,028,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
I'll be the guy working for the rich guys to put down the people with the pitchforks.
And I will be the one who gives you an early retirement.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:01 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:

Of course, we all know that taxation will never be "fair" like that. Too many people see it as a way to "get back at the rich" or as a "Santa Claus scheme."
Obama using money and taxation to pit American against American. Who benefits? Government... imagine that.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Obama using money and taxation to pit American against American. Who benefits? Government... imagine that.
Yep. Unfortunately, as can be seen by all these folks sharpening their pitchforks and hayforks, he's been doing quite well at it.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:17 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
I think you misinterpreted that paragraph.

What I'm saying is that if a billionaire consumes X Amount of government services and a 30K-per-year guy consumes that same X Amount of government services, their taxes due (if things were "fair") would be exactly the same. You don't go into the grocery store and pay twice as much for a loaf of bread as someone making half your wages, do you?

That last line in your quoted paragraph (the "I'd doubt it" comment) was meant to point out that the billionaire probably uses less government service, thus should be paying less in tax.
Exactly.

Quote:
Of course, we all know that taxation will never be "fair" like that. Too many people see it as a way to "get back at the rich" or as a "Santa Claus scheme." So taxation will probably never be based on amount of government service rendered, as it should. That's why in a practical sense, I support the "Fair Tax" idea. At least it is close to being "fair" even though the Fair Tax is based on the wrong kind of consumption.
What would be the right kind of consumption?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies