Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2014, 09:01 AM

2,739 posts, read 3,149,618 times

Advertisements

Squatting was recently made a Criminal Offence in England & Wales.

BBC News - Squatting set to become a criminal offence

No more squatters rights: 69 prosecuted in first year that new law came into effect, CPS data reveals - Crime - UK - The Independent
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 09:44 AM

3,994 posts, read 2,670,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I don't know how often it happens, but it does happen. Craigs List has seen instances of people who have rented property from scammers who don't actually own the property. Usually the scammer just takes the deposits and runs. But a few of these innocent renters have been given working keys and moved in.

It's happened enough in my area that a news station covered this, warning people about renting from ads on Craigslist, and how to make sure the person giving them the keys and taking the deposit was actually legally authorized to rent out the property.

For this, and land boundary reasons, I can understand why squatters' rights exist. It's because there are instances where people thought they legitimately had a claim to the property, only to find out later on that they don't. Like any law, it can be abused (people who know full well they have no right to live in a house, but move in anyway).

Old 06-29-2014, 09:47 AM

3,804 posts, read 6,143,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Over the years I have read many stories of squatters breaking into someone's home yet after the owners come back from a vacation or a trip when they ask for police assistance in removing them they can't, at least for a time because apparently squatters have "rights"! Granted in every story it's been a European country; namely England and France and it totally boggles my mind as one of the most stupid, *** backwards thing ever.

Look at this: Squatters: The latest real-estate menace - MSN Real Estate

I don't care if there's a blizzard outside and I come home to a family of 5 in my home, I want them out! They should have NO rights whatsoever considering THEY are the ones that broke in illegally, but it seems as if many European countries are so asinine that they would rather side with squatters and it makes me VERY happy to be an American. Not that I am that worried about squatters but at least I know there is some semblance of sanity.
It grows out of an English common law which encouraged land to be used instead of left unused. Basically the idea was that someone might be super rich and lazy so he lets land that he owns go unused through inattention. Some random guy comes along and sees what looks like wilderness. He clears the land, plants, crops, builds a home, and raises livestock. If he's been doing that long enough without the original landowner noticing it is assumed title has passed to him since he's actually using the land and making improvements on it where the previous fellow wasn't.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:50 AM

3,804 posts, read 6,143,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartwater View Post
I don't think squatters rights exist, you may mean adverse possession is very narrow and mostly applies to farmers who have used land for many years, in some states its 25 years and the owner never complained but knew it was used it can be called adverse possession. Some dactylic who squats in an abandon home or unoccupied home has no rights to that property in most places. Now who knows in stupid places like San Francisco or NYC or Mass. Liberals give away everything to the scum of society.
The period is usually 10 years if you can prove the original owner knew you were there and did not start charging you rent and longer if they had no idea you were there.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:03 AM

41,111 posts, read 25,576,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Over the years I have read many stories of squatters breaking into someone's home yet after the owners come back from a vacation or a trip when they ask for police assistance in removing them they can't, at least for a time because apparently squatters have "rights"! Granted in every story it's been a European country; namely England and France and it totally boggles my mind as one of the most stupid, *** backwards thing ever.

Look at this: Squatters: The latest real-estate menace - MSN Real Estate

I don't care if there's a blizzard outside and I come home to a family of 5 in my home, I want them out! They should have NO rights whatsoever considering THEY are the ones that broke in illegally, but it seems as if many European countries are so asinine that they would rather side with squatters and it makes me VERY happy to be an American. Not that I am that worried about squatters but at least I know there is some semblance of sanity.
They are giving illegal immigrants squatters rights why not your home?

Old 06-29-2014, 11:17 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,617,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
It's happened enough in my area that a news station covered this, warning people about renting from ads on Craigslist, and how to make sure the person giving them the keys and taking the deposit was actually legally authorized to rent out the property.

For this, and land boundary reasons, I can understand why squatters' rights exist. It's because there are instances where people thought they legitimately had a claim to the property, only to find out later on that they don't. Like any law, it can be abused (people who know full well they have no right to live in a house, but move in anyway).
Also, it is a protection for less popular/powerful people. The person living on a piece of property is assumed to have a right to be there, unless proof is offered and validated.

Yes, there are people who abuse this presumption, but if you think about it, the abuses could be much greater if the law were otherwise and someone could kick you off property by simply asserting that you had no right to be there. Not to mention that documents can be forged, witnesses can be bribed...

Edited to add - Don't be an absentee property-owner, and don't let anyone live on your property without a signed agreement that includes grounds for termination.

Old 06-29-2014, 12:26 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,692,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
They are giving illegal immigrants squatters rights why not your home?
Yep. I had this argument with a flaming liberal co-worker. He thought the borders should be open and everyone should be allowed to come in. I asked him if he leaves his doors unlocked and if he minds if a new family just moved in while he was away. He got all huffy and shouted "That is ridiculous, that is not even remotely the same thing". That was about five years ago. As we've seen over and over again, that is exactly what is happening. No only do these people break in to our country, they break in to people's homes and claim they have the legal right to be there. There have been cases where people have simply gone to work, only to come home and find a squatters claiming that they own the home or have a rental agreement. Depending on the state it can take weeks or months to get these pieces of trash out. If someone breaks in to steal a TV the cops will arrest them on site. If someone breaks in an claims they live there the cops throw their hands up and say "Nothing we can do, it is a civil matter".

Old 06-29-2014, 12:56 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,763,285 times
Here in California, the state has essentially ended private property rights. If you rent a room to someone, you as a property owner have no right to toss them out on their ears. Hell, if your child turns 18 he has rights of tenancy and cannot be removed without going through the eviction process. Homeowners here can lose their private property rights to anyone to whom they give even temporary shelter, even if they let someone stay for free.

To me, it is all about private property. It is different if you are renting someone an apartment or a house which you do not occupy. But your primary residence is yours. The state should have no right to effectively seize your personal residence for whatever reason. JMHO

Old 06-29-2014, 01:40 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,967,389 times
Europe is a liberals' dream where criminals have more rights than law abiding people.

Old 06-29-2014, 01:49 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,366,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartwater View Post
I don't think squatters rights exist, you may mean adverse possession is very narrow and mostly applies to farmers who have used land for many years, in some states its 25 years and the owner never complained but knew it was used it can be called adverse possession. Some dactylic who squats in an abandon home or unoccupied home has no rights to that property in most places. Now who knows in stupid places like San Francisco or NYC or Mass. Liberals give away everything to the scum of society.
Not everything boils down to a liberal and conservative issue. As you correctly point out, adverse possesson is an old common law concept. Each state has its own rules regarding adverse possession. But as the name implies possession of the land must be open, notorious and hostile and you must hold that property for a number of years usually around 7 years.

In Florida the years you need to hold property depends on whether the adverse possession is under color of tile or not. Without going into a totally explanation into adverse possession suffice it to say that anyone who squats on property that does not belong to him must make a return of property taxes, live on the property continuously for 7 years, among other requirements before he can claim adverse possession. One can not simply move on to someone's property and claim it as his own unless all elements of adverse possesson are met.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies