Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 12:54 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,670,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
That may be your point....but your point is 1/100th of the issue. Harry Reid as an individual Senator may be listening to his constituents, but Harry Reid as an individual Senator does not have the power to over-ride Congress. The only power Reid has on this issue is that he's the Majority Leader and can stop something from coming up for vote. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less. And in that respect, his constituents are merely lucky that he's the ML. Otherwise, they may be **** outta luck.
The title of this thread that YOU started:

"If It Weren't For Liberalism, Today America Would Have Safe, Functioning Nuclear Power Plants Instead of Fossil Fuels"

I presented you with evidence that there are plenty of conservatives who are indirectly against nuclear power because of where the waste would wind up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 12:54 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
Something one must consider about what we know of the world via the mainstream media. They are our only source of news. A handful of organizations control all news - other than some independent sources - they can tell us whatever they want and we are to believe it all.

In the case of Fukishima...were there actual meltdowns and is radiation truly leaking into the oceans and destroying all life?

If so...why isn't the American press all over a they were the Gulf BP oil well incident? Isn't worldwide nuclear poisoning breaking news or do they gloss over it in favor of political fodder? The MSM is virtually mute about the topic now as they play up any way to demonize conservatives in this country.

If the press can dismiss the story I wonder if it is truly occurring.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:55 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Here's another reason that you have obviously failed to consider. The problem is not liberals, but NIMBYs. What do you do with spent nuclear fuel? Nobody wants it in their backyard. Not even conservatives.
These are the same people who have no issues with allowing big coal or fracking to have zero restrictions in regards to the enviornment. Do you really think they are concerned with the proper disposal of nuclear fuel rods?

Old 06-30-2014, 12:56 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Ditto for you because you almost never know what the hell you are talking about .
LOL....tell me where, in this thread on this topic, i'm wrong. Please, by all means, go for it.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:58 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
I don't think this is a Liberal or Conservative issue as much as it is an issue rooted in fear. Most people seem to believe that Nuclear power = potential disaster in this country. As if you will have a plant blow up and create a Hiroshima like reaction. If conservatives are so gung ho on this subject than why don't we seem them beating on their chests in support of Nuclear energy? They seem to have no problem supporting other energy makers interest yet are vastly silent on this issue .

Old 06-30-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
These are the same people who have no issues with allowing big coal or fracking to have zero restrictions in regards to the enviornment. Do you really think they are concerned with the proper disposal of nuclear fuel rods?
It depends. Everyone is a NIMBY when you think about it. Your party affiliation is irrelevant if someone is threatening to put a nuclear dump in your backyard; no one wants that.

And it's not just the waste that is a concern. The transportation of the waste is a major issue.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:13 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
What facts have you presented to counter any statement, claim, assertion or otherwise that I have made? Please point me to those "facts." Thanks!
So what does one do with nuclear waste?

Old 06-30-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
You put it far away from where AeroGuyDC lives. Magic!

Old 06-30-2014, 01:16 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,526,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Same thing we're doing with it now. Ideally though we'll reprocess it for more fuel. I don't get why everyone always acts like nuclear is a new science or technology, it isn't and we're using it now, just not nearly enough!

Old 06-30-2014, 01:18 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
LOL....tell me where, in this thread on this topic, i'm wrong. Please, by all means, go for it.
Your thread is incorrect because you think it is just liberals that are against nuclear power. I bet if one tried to put a plant in a conservative area, they would try to stop it too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies