Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2014, 04:05 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,390,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
As this description of our reasoning shows, our holding is very specific. We do not hold, as the principal dissent alleges, that for-profit corporations and other commercial enterprises can “opt out of any law (saving only tax laws) they judge incompatible with their sincerely held religious beliefs.” Post, at 1 (opinion of GINSBURG, J.). Nor do we hold, as the dissent implies, that such corporations have free rein to take steps that impose “disadvantages . . . on others” or that require “the general public [to] pick up the tab.”
http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions...3-354_olp1.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 04:10 PM

112 posts, read 92,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
So where does it say that investing in the product you claim to be against is okay? That somehow you are sincere, while investing in said product?

Old 07-01-2014, 04:12 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,281,301 times
conservatives on c-d lying an insisting this case had nothing to with birth control: meanwhile in the reality based world

The Supreme Court on Tuesday confirmed that its decision a day earlier extending religious rights to closely held corporations applies broadly to the contraceptive coverage requirement in the new health care law, not just the handful of methods the justices considered in their ruling.

Yeah so just like I have repeated posted this case was 100% anti-birth control.

conservatives in 2014 are anti-birth control. Conservatives in 2014 are for corporations who as now deemed religious persons to violate federal law and deny coverage for any birth control period in those employee's health insurance so as long as the belief can be divined to be sincerely held by conservative supreme court justices.

But this right for corporations now deemed religious persons with a sincerely held anti-birth control religious belief only extends to birth control and not other medical treatments that others disfavor for religious reasons.

Old 07-01-2014, 04:14 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,288,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
conservatives on c-d lying an insisting this case had nothing to with birth control: meanwhile in the reality based world

The Supreme Court on Tuesday confirmed that its decision a day earlier extending religious rights to closely held corporations applies broadly to the contraceptive coverage requirement in the new health care law, not just the handful of methods the justices considered in their ruling.

Yeah so just like I have repeated posted this case was 100% anti-birth control.

conservatives in 2014 are anti-birth control. Conservatives in 2014 are for corporations who as now deemed religious persons to violate federal law and deny coverage for any birth control period in those employee's health insurance so as long as the belief can be divined to be sincerely held by conservative supreme court justices.

But this right for corporations now deemed religious persons with a sincerely held anti-birth control religious belief only extends to birth control and not other medical treatments that others disfavor for religious reasons.
It was the Supreme Court that made the decision.

Now go back to how you got your birth control in 2011 before HHS stuck their nose into everyone's business.

This Supreme Court decision shows that it's going to be a while yet before the US turns communist.

Old 07-01-2014, 04:14 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,021,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisblues1986 View Post
Only slightly. I would still think it was crazy, but at least the company would be sincere. Assuming they weren't just like HL.

BigJohn, where does it explain that it's okay to invest in the product you claim to be against? I would be interested to read that.
If what they say about their investments are true I understand thinking bad of them. I can't say I blame you but they weren't the only entity signed on to this lawsuit.

Old 07-01-2014, 04:16 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,021,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisblues1986 View Post
So where does it say that investing in the product you claim to be against is okay? That somehow you are sincere, while investing in said product?
I covered that. It is not something the courts take into consideration. They also didn't mention their super bowl favorites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
If what they say about their investments are true I understand thinking bad of them. I can't say I blame you but they weren't the only entity signed on to this lawsuit.
Probably the must influential though, no?

25,792 posts, read 16,434,167 times
I would think this opens the door to more moral rules in the workplace. Why should a company have to pay for the childbirth and care of a child of an immoral employee? Like one who get's pregnant without being married?

Old 07-01-2014, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I covered that. It is not something the courts take into consideration. They also didn't mention their super bowl favorites.
It should be taken into consideration when the whole argument revolves around their "sincerely held" beliefs. Otherwise I question the way this country works.

Old 07-01-2014, 04:25 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,288,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I would think this opens the door to more moral rules in the workplace. Why should a company have to pay for the childbirth and care of a child of an immoral employee? Like one who get's pregnant without being married?
You got that in Catholic schools already. Don't you recall the number of fired single pregnant teachers in the news ?

It was in their contract though and the courts upheld it.

You are the one that accepts a job offer. No one is forced to work for any employer against their will.
And when you accept the job offer you accept the terms under which you are employed.

If you don't like the terms then you don't accept the job.
The "me me me" generation is finally facing the real world where it's NOT all about you.

And if you don't like that then go work for the government. They won't fire you and will give you everything you desire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies