Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2014, 08:34 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,721,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
That's right. The drugs they (HL) objected to were those that caused abortion, much like the morning after pill. They are still covering contraceptives so I find it puzzling why everyone is getting their panties in a bunch, claiming it's a war on women.

I think it's very fair that someone not be forced to provide coverage for something that could cause the end of life. If a woman wants to end her pregnancy, she should pay for it herself or seek out an insurance company (outside HL) that will pay for it.

HL was considering giving their employees a certain dollar amount if they wanted to buy coverage elsewhere and drop them from the HL plans. I think that's moot now but it did show that HL wasn't completely unsympathetic to its female employees.

Why is Hobby Lobby still selling knitting needles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 08:46 PM

31,913 posts, read 14,909,532 times
I think the court got it wrong this time. Birth control is not just used for contraception. There are many medical reasons why women need it. And companies who deny it for their religious beliefs don't seem to care about this.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:49 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,390,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I think the court got it wrong this time. Birth control is not just used for contraception. There are many medical reasons why women need it. And companies who deny it for their religious beliefs don't seem to care about this.
The court didn't take exception to contraception.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:51 PM

79,907 posts, read 43,979,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Hobby Lobby isn't denying women birth control......they couldn't even if they wanted to.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:55 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,585,165 times
More Hobby Lobby hypocrisy.

"Hobby Lobby's founders have made it clear that any abortion and certain contraceptives are unacceptable in their eyes, yet the company's 401(k) plan has millions of dollars invested in funds that own the companies that make birth control methods including Plan B, the so-called "morning after" drug. . .

Like many companies, Hobby Lobby offers its employees a 401(k) plan. . . Employees have the option to put their retirement dollars -- and the money that Hobby Lobby contributes on their behalf -- into over a dozen different mutual funds. At least eight of those funds have been invested in companies that produce contraceptives such as Teva Pharmaceutical (TEVA), Bayer (BAYRY), and Pfizer (PFE), according to a CNNMoney analysis. Teva makes Plan B. At least one fund also held Forest Laboratories, which makes a drug that is used to induce abortions."
Hobby Lobby still invests in birth control - Jul. 1, 2014

What a shock.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:57 PM

601 posts, read 752,910 times
I'm sorry to be rude, but anyone who STILL believes that the Morning After/Plan B pill causes an abortion has absolutely NO idea how it works, or is just a blatant science denier.

Anyway...what's done is done, but don't think this ordeal won't stab conservatives in the back in due time. Every Republican/Tea Party politician who's singing praises for this ruling now will lose the female vote in 2016.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:01 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,709,500 times
Even more hypocrisy from Hobby Lobby -- almost everything they sell is made in China...who have some of the most restrictive abortion laws in the world. But HL keeps sending them money to buy their little bits of junk.

I've never shopped in one, and I never will.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:06 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,721,097 times
From a medical perspective, the medications in question are not abortifacients. The ignorance, which is rampant in this country, is the most frightening of all!

Morning-after pill Definition - Tests and Procedures - Mayo Clinic

4,131 posts, read 7,419,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
If you feel that strongly then refuse any employer health insurance and go get your own.
Obamacare is there but for a click of the mouse and a 20 minute wait.

Go get all your health concerns taken care of by your government.

No one is forced to take their employer health insurance.
And no one is forced to take a job. It is offered to you and you accept.

SCOTUS struck down yet another mandate of Obamacare.....

Obamacare isn't an insurance policy. It's a law!

That law requires that employers cover you, and it also doesn't allow you to buy your own insurance on the exchange if your employer offers it

25,785 posts, read 16,415,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You got that in Catholic schools already. Don't you recall the number of fired single pregnant teachers in the news ?

It was in their contract though and the courts upheld it.

You are the one that accepts a job offer. No one is forced to work for any employer against their will.
And when you accept the job offer you accept the terms under which you are employed.

If you don't like the terms then you don't accept the job.
The "me me me" generation is finally facing the real world where it's NOT all about you.

And if you don't like that then go work for the government. They won't fire you and will give you everything you desire.

I know this much, if I had a woman working for me and I found out she had an abortion? I would look for the first chance to can her. I would never trust someone who made a decision like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies