Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 05:37 AM

26,490 posts, read 15,066,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Do you honestly believe all of these are phony scandals?

Fast and Furious - 300 Mexicans have been shot by Fast and Furious guns according to 1 Mexican official's count. Eric Holder lied to congress about the program, Obama lied about the program, Obama lied and blamed the program on Bush to hide the fact that it started in Obama's White House. Then Mr. Transparency issues an executive order to shut down any meaningful investigation. How is that phony? Would you be calling it phony if one of your relatives had been shot? If it were phony, why does Obama and Holder lie and falsely pass the buck off elsewhere?
Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
Which really has nothing to do with the topic at hand. Focus, please.
FloridaBob keeps posting that all of these are phony scandals. But refuses to respond when facts and specifics are laid out.

Obama is a very scandalous president. Simply calling them all phony scandals is not an intellectual response, but a talking point for the sheep.

The IRS has broken many laws and dragged their feet, obfuscated, lied - and Obama has tacitly encouraged this - picking an Obama/democrat fundraiser/donor to clean it up?!?! Hope and Change was BS from day one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 06:53 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,400,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Being in IT for over 40 years I find "the emails are gone" absolutely ludicrous.

Are you telling me that incremental and full backups of the mail server and the users computers were never done?

It's amazing just how stupid (and gullible) Americans have become...
Well, being in IT for over 40 years should have taught you something else. I've been an IT auditor for 10 years, and I rarely, if ever, saw companies include email in their backup. I work for a massively large company, and my email inbox is capped at 400MB. I'm responsible for archiving any emails myself. Now, since I know what I'm doing, I archive to a network folder, but most of my coworkers just archive to their local machine. local drive is not backed up - because you're not really supposed to use it for storage anyways.

bottom line is - IRS should have better procedures, and no doubt, with a little bit of effort, they'll be able to get most of the emails she sent and received. Forensic auditors are pretty good at tracking this stuff down when they need to. But it doesn't susprise me at all than in 2011, an entity run by 50+ yr old people wasn't properly using technology. And anyone familiar with IT shouldn't be shocked.

Why would the IRS do backups on the end-user computers? And why would they do it on email?

Old 07-02-2014, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Becasue it's not backed up like that bob.....they destroyed the HD...not the back up that is done every night/week....(office dependant, ours is nightly).

Why is that so hard to understand?
in my experience, not that many places back up email at all. it's stupid not to, but a lot didn't. i worked in audit from 2004-2013. with all but the last 3 years being in public accounting. typically, only 'critical' data is backed up regularly and saved. non-critical data is, at best, backed up and retained for maybe 3 months or 6 months in case you need to retrieve something.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Anybody in IT is laughing at the claim that a forensics lab could not recover any of the email data on this disk. Sans severe physical damage to the platter the probability is nil. What is so hard to understand about that?
my area "boss" (the guy that runs the entire area) just spontaneously lost his entire email inbox. IT tried for a week to recover it, and couldn't. honestly, it's rare but it happens more than people think. we're way too used to having everything at our fingertips with google. sometimes data is really lost. we'll find out one way or another though, because her emails went to someone, and that's likely where they'll retrieve it. just takes more work. the worst part about this story is how long it took for congress to find this out.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
It would have cost them at the very most a few thousand a month to make proper backups. It's inexcusable.
as budgets are cut, you think maybe long term retention of email backups might have been one of the first things to go, if they even had it? and where do they store it? it could be a lot more than a few thousand a month.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:11 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,220,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
as budgets are cut, you think maybe long term retention of email backups might have been one of the first things to go, if they even had it? and where do they store it? it could be a lot more than a few thousand a month.
They were getting 1.8 billion a year for IT budget

Old 07-02-2014, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Well, if you refuse to look into facts, perhaps you will believe the FOXBOT "news"....

IRS says Lerner emails lost forever, but agency had contract with file-storage company Sonasoft | Fox News
Honestly - whatever happens with the IRS 'scandal', i hope that this, at the very least, reveals how inadaquate our Government's use of technology is. It will probably get lost in all of the political rhetoric, but if you know anyone that works in many major government agencies, they are using computers that are 5+ years old, have horrendous network setups, and it really hinders productivity. look no farther than the VA (legitimate) scandal to see how bad it can be.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:13 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,438,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
They were getting 1.8 billion a year for IT budget

That's meaningless in a vacuum. They also have a huge mainframe system of tax data to support for the entire country.

They also got zero dollars to implement their part of ACA.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:13 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
I've been an IT auditor for 10 years, and I rarely, if ever, saw companies include email in their backup.

They are required by law to archive these emails and I'm sure you are aware that you never trust the user.

Quote:
Why would the IRS do backups on the end-user computers?
You wouldn't becsue again you never trust the user. If they delete the emails from their HDD or they become corrupted what are you going to back up? I'm not familiar with exchange but as I understand it by default when the user deletes an email it's a soft delete and goes into a similar state like a file in the trash can. What you would do is back these up before they are purged from the server.

Of course there is numerous other ways to do this, if you are making full backups you only purge them after a full backup and don't recycle the tape.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:14 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,220,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
That's meaningless in a vacuum. They also have a huge mainframe system of tax data to support for the entire country.

They also got zero dollars to implement their part of ACA.
So you this k a 1.8 billion dollar budget means nothing ,typical liberal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies