Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 10:19 AM

5,999 posts, read 7,076,669 times

Advertisements

Many advocates of the redefinition of marriage equate homosexuality with the way blacks were treated for many years. That infuriates many people of color for a multitude of reasons. I thought long and hard about this and devised a very simple test, here it is:

You enter a room full of people, say 20-25; all are sitting silently in matching jeans and a plain white t-shirt. In the room are black people, white people, Chinese and homosexuals. With your eyes, which of these four groups can you identify?

Old 07-01-2014, 10:25 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,165,148 times
The comparison between blacks and homosexuals is about how the GOVERNMENT treats citizens.

Try this, a black couple, a white couple, a Chinese couple, and a homosexual couple all go to city hall to get a marriage license in Mississippi which one will be denied? Why should the government treat any citizens differently, or withhold legal protections from this group, but not the others?

Old 07-01-2014, 10:26 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,389,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Many advocates of the redefinition of marriage equate homosexuality with the way blacks were treated for many years. That infuriates many people of color for a multitude of reasons. I thought long and hard about this and devised a very simple test, here it is:

You enter a room full of people, say 20-25; all are sitting silently in matching jeans and a plain white t-shirt. In the room are black people, white people, Chinese and homosexuals. With your eyes, which of these four groups can you identify?
It doesn't matter if the trait is visibly apparent (race) or hidden (orientation). The similarity is both are inherited at birth. You cannot "correct" homosexuality any more than you can "correct" a person's race / genetic make up. Bigotry is bigotry. That is where the similarity lies.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:28 AM

56,989 posts, read 35,116,741 times
As an African American, i've never understood why black folks get so angry at the comparison. Injustice is just that. I really don't care if the Gay community wants to co-op the black civil rights struggle....that's what it's there for; to emulate. Otherwise, what use was it to fight the struggle if other people can't benefit from it?

To me, the gay rights struggle is no different. No one should have to hide who they are.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:31 AM

702 posts, read 725,292 times
Quote:

What?

Old 07-01-2014, 10:31 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,389,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
As an African American, i've never understood why black folks get so angry at the comparison. Injustice is just that. I really don't care if the Gay community wants to co-op the black civil rights struggle....that's what it's there for; to emulate. Otherwise, what use was it to fight the struggle if other people can't benefit from it?

To me, the gay rights struggle is no different. No one should have to hide who they are.
...because Black Americans are extremely socially conservative. They vote Democrat out of economic reasons; not social reasons.

The reality is... the church has infected the Black Community in the same kind of brainwashing as the GOP has done to the heartland. If the GOP ever got its stuff together, it would win the black vote easily.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:32 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,216,996 times
Op is making the erroneous assumption that the whole point of having rights is limited to those you can pick out with the naked eye.

Fail.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:37 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,660,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EntropyGuardian View Post
What?
My thoughts exactly. What?

Old 07-01-2014, 10:42 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,076,521 times
Quote:

How about a little intellectual honesty from you.

The advocates you're talking about don't equate homosexuality with black skin, they make a legal analogy between the treatment of black people and gay people under the law.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:44 AM

5,999 posts, read 7,076,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
The comparison between blacks and homosexuals is about how the GOVERNMENT treats citizens.

Try this, a black couple, a white couple, a Chinese couple, and a homosexual couple all go to city hall to get a marriage license in Mississippi which one will be denied? Why should the government treat any citizens differently, or withhold legal protections from this group, but not the others?
You made no attempt whatsoever to answer my question. Try it and then I'll address your comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.