Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 09:11 AM

2,463 posts, read 2,789,448 times

Advertisements

The Supreme Court struck down those so-called laws over a year ago. Laws that violate another persons rights are null and void. It was fully explained, laws like prop 8 and DOMA were overturned because they are unconstitutional. The tyranny of the majority cannot pass laws for the soul purpose of oppressing a minority simply because you don't like something. There was never any proof that SSM caused any problems or any harm to anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rebel View Post
Its not a surprise anymore...I have gotten to the point I just shake my head and feel a bit of disgust in my gut and realize the country will never be the same the way its going so just let them destroy it so we can fix it.
There are many things destroying this country, SSM is not one of them.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:49 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Just cant have the people of society deciding on what marriage means to them, that's reserved for the black robed few to decide according to their personal opinions.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:50 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Well I think after this summer the SC is going to have to take it up. The 4th circuits opinion is coming up soon as well. You will also likely have a few more states rule on it by the start of their next term as well.
At this point, it's unlikely that the SCOTUS will take it up. The only way I can see them taking the case is if one of the Circuit Courts uphold the bans. That seems exceptionally unlikely.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:51 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rebel View Post
Its not a surprise anymore...I have gotten to the point I just shake my head and feel a bit of disgust in my gut and realize the country will never be the same the way its going so just let them destroy it so we can fix it.
How will SSM destroy the country? Details, please.
It hasn't destroyed any other country. Is the US so unstable that letting two men who use conditioner to get married will bring it to its knees? How?

Old 07-07-2014, 09:53 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
There are many things destroying this country, SSM is not one of them.
That in itself, no.

What is destroying the country is how the courts think they can write legislation, and alter legislation from the bench, and think the people no longer have a say in anything anymore. Both government and the courts exist only as long as they have the consent of the people.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:04 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
That in itself, no.

What is destroying the country is how the courts think they can write legislation, and alter legislation from the bench, and think the people no longer have a say in anything anymore. Both government and the courts exist only as long as they have the consent of the people.
The courts are doing the exact job they are tasked with under the U.S Constitution. Anyone who says differently is clueless.

Old 07-07-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
That in itself, no.

OICU8, see post number 31. Since you believe courts can make decisions based on what the people want. Can we have the courts prohibit people from dying their hair red? How about prohibiting the sale of blonde hair dye, because those of us who are natural blondes get sick of all these unnatural blondes pretending to be something they are not. How about preventing people from painting their house pink? After all, some of us hate that color. How about a law requiring lefties to use their right hand, since we pretty much live in a society meant for right handed people anyway. Consider, parochial schools use to require lefties to write with their right hand anyway.

Seems kind of silly doesn't it? Well, the left-handed scenario is the equivalent of having laws oppressing, and discriminating against those of us who had the misfortune of ending up homosexual through no choice of our own. In Massachusetts where I'm from, gay marriage has done nothing at all to change society, or have an affect on those who just love to hate, and argue about why we shouldn't let those homosexuals marry. As a matter of fact, the gay presence in Mass, particularly the Boston area has really subdued if anything. They got what they want, and now you don't hear anything else about it. Society looks pretty much the same way it did before May 17, 2004 when MA began letting those homos marry. Equality, it's a wonderful thing.

Old 07-07-2014, 03:47 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,178,918 times
It looks like homosexual marriage is the new norm.

Old 07-07-2014, 04:04 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Just cant have the people of society deciding on what marriage means to them, that's reserved for the black robed few to decide according to their personal opinions.
People can believe whatever they want. The law can't discriminate and that is what the courts are ruling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies