Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2014, 09:08 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times

Advertisements

Even if we had an official language, it wouldn't preclude people from publicly conversing in a different one. And, if it did, the U.S. would no longer be a nation in which I'd care to live.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:16 PM

384 posts, read 349,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Even if we had an official language, it wouldn't preclude people from publicly conversing in a different one. And, if it did, the U.S. would no longer be a nation in which I'd care to live.
That's cozy... but it would have worse implications than just being a nation in which you wouldn't care to live. It would be against what the founding fathers and my colonial ancestors wanted this nation to be.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:23 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,631,663 times
No not at all. America is a melting pot of cultures. The Native Americans and Spanish had this land before English speaking people did.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:30 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfProfessional View Post
That was my point. I specified people with a decent education
I was actually surprised by it, but I just posted a link from a Forbes article,

"only 18% of Americans report speaking a language other than English, while 53% of Europeans (and increasing numbers in other parts of the world) can converse in a second language."

So, that means most folks in America aren't getting a "decent education" as you put it, and
the standards/requirements for a foreign language has gone down. Statistics
show that.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:39 PM

384 posts, read 349,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I was actually surprised by it, but I just posted a link from a Forbes article,

"only 18% of Americans report speaking a language other than English, while 53% of Europeans (and increasing numbers in other parts of the world) can converse in a second language."

So, that means most folks in America aren't getting a "decent education" as you put it, and
the standards/requirements for a foreign language has gone down. Statistics
show that.
If you look at the decent universities in this nation (which happen to also be the ones that many of our founding fathers attended), you'll see that the majority of students there learned a foreign language in school for 3-5 years (longer for the younger students now entering). Perhaps not fluent, but conversational for certain. Another large portion know a decent amount of Latin.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:40 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
To be a nurse, you need to know English. So be rest assured that they already know English. They were only using their native tongue among themselves because it's most likely easier for them and since English is not our official language, they probably feel comfortable doing so.
If they know English, then it's all the more rude that they use their own country's language in front of patients. That's the whole problem -- it's as rude as whispering in front of others is. They should be fired for treating patients that way.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:48 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Has that worked out for you?

I find the liberal mindset of telling business owners how to run their businesses entertaining. You liberals amuse me.
So you'd be okay with business owners firing these very rude immigrants who refuse to speak English in front of English speaking patients and customers?

Old 07-02-2014, 11:01 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
If they know English, then it's all the more rude that they use their own country's language in front of patients. That's the whole problem -- it's as rude as whispering in front of others is. They should be fired for treating patients that way.
Quote:
Has that worked out for you?

I find the liberal mindset of telling business owners how to run their businesses entertaining. You liberals amuse me.
How in the world did you get the impression that he is a liberal? His comments sound conservative to me-and I happen to agree with him.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:48 PM

130 posts, read 111,842 times
My 1st language isnt english but if i walk in your shoes I would feel upset if in my english spoken country isnt english the used languge¡¡
When i say public places I talk about stores, mall, restaurants (the workers).

Old 07-02-2014, 11:49 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:

There's nothing wrong with being liberal. I don't agree with many of their views, but you shouldn't be ashamed.
Why even use the word "ashamed". You sound like an old Italian lady -
does he need to do some kind of repentance or something
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies