Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2014, 05:16 PM

25,690 posts, read 18,777,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfProfessional View Post
No. Are you?
Not that I'm aware of. Although I've always had sort of a distaste for "zoobies."

Old 07-03-2014, 08:33 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,988,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I'm not following.
Not a single American? Do you mean to tell me you hire illegal aliens to work as dialysis technicians, charge nurses and managers?
That doesn't sound like any clinic I'd want to set foot in.

You make an unfounded assumption that (1) foreign workers are illegals and (2) Foreigners are second rate workers. For from it. All of the people I mentioned are legal immigrants and some have been here long enough to become naturalized Americans and they are top notch in what they do. It may come as a surpirse that in many professions, sucessful people will chose to hire foreign workers in preference to Americans because they feel more comfortable with people who behave in familiar ways or when they hire a college graduate they know the person's degree means they actually know stuff and don't have to be given a remedial education before they they can be turned loose in the business. An example of this was a senior professor at a major technical university in NY who was an acknowledged leader in the study of glasses and ceramics . He came from Japan and it was no conincidence that every one of the junior researchers in his glass institute were Japanese. He would not hire Americans because he said he didn't know what he was getting when an American applied to work in his group many would not work as hard as a Japanese scientist and he couldn't understand such behavior.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:06 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,319,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
You make an unfounded assumption that (1) foreign workers are illegals and (2) Foreigners are second rate workers. For from it. All of the people I mentioned are legal immigrants and some have been here long enough to become naturalized Americans and they are top notch in what they do. It may come as a surpirse that in many professions, sucessful people will chose to hire foreign workers in preference to Americans because they feel more comfortable with people who behave in familiar ways or when they hire a college graduate they know the person's degree means they actually know stuff and don't have to be given a remedial education before they they can be turned loose in the business. An example of this was a senior professor at a major technical university in NY who was an acknowledged leader in the study of glasses and ceramics . He came from Japan and it was no conincidence that every one of the junior researchers in his glass institute were Japanese. He would not hire Americans because he said he didn't know what he was getting when an American applied to work in his group many would not work as hard as a Japanese scientist and he couldn't understand such behavior.
I was responding to your post.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mwruckman

If you think grocery stores and fast food
joints are hot beds of non-english speakers just try some of our hospitals and
medical care facillities. In the Washington DC area there are a lot of nurses
and physicians assistants from either the Phillipines or The Carribean or West
Africa (Ghana or Nigeria). At my Dialysis Clinic the Clinic the manager is
Fillipino, as are the charge nurses, and 3/4 of the Dialysis technicians the
others are 1 Puerto Rican, 1 Chinese, 2 Ghanians and a Nicaraguan. Not a single
member of the staff is American
. A member of the DC city council (Marion Barry)
who was hospitalized for kidney failure and received a kidney transplant
actually complained to the management of the Washington Hospital Center (The
regional transpalnt hospital) that none of his nurses was a person born in the
Distric but were all Fillipinos! Kinda upset our Fillipino community here.
Not a single American? Then what are they? If they're legal immigrants, then they're American.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:16 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,466,118 times
Quote:
I was responding to your post.

Not a single American? Then what are they? If they're legal immigrants, then they're American.
They're legal residents. That doesn't make them citizens. It does, however, afford them all the protections and benefits of the law but for the right to vote.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:19 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,319,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
They're legal residents. That doesn't make them citizens.
I guess he interrogated them all to determine if they're citizens or legal residents.
Maybe checked their papers.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:23 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,365,023 times
My response is to the OP... I live in a city that has a large French-speaking minority. When I'm at work, half my co-workers are Quebecers. Half my colleagues are talking in French all day, half are speaking English, sometimes we communicate in our second language instead of our first.

If I'm on the bus, I'm bound to hear people speaking Lebanese, Mandarin, Arab, Punjabi, etc. It doesn't bother me, in fact, I love it.

But then, I grew up around a lot of French-speaking people and grew up in a bi-cultural place. For an American who is from a linguistically insulated background, I guess it must be a somewhat alienating experience to hear other languages when you aren't used to it. But unless the other people are talking to you... it doesn't have anything to do with you anyway, so just go about your day.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:24 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,466,118 times
Quote:
I guess he interrogated them all to determine if they're citizens or legal residents.
Maybe checked their papers.
I wasn't responding to the matter at hand. I was responding to and correcting only your mistaken supposition. You're welcome!

Old 07-03-2014, 09:47 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,269,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
My response is to the OP... I live in a city that has a large French-speaking minority. When I'm at work, half my co-workers are Quebecers. Half my colleagues are talking in French all day, half are speaking English, sometimes we communicate in our second language instead of our first.

If I'm on the bus, I'm bound to hear people speaking Lebanese, Mandarin, Arab, Punjabi, etc. It doesn't bother me, in fact, I love it.

But then, I grew up around a lot of French-speaking people and grew up in a bi-cultural place. For an American who is from a linguistically insulated background, I guess it must be a somewhat alienating experience to hear other languages when you aren't used to it. But unless the other people are talking to you... it doesn't have anything to do with you anyway, so just go about your day.
Lebanese people almost always speak ArabIC.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:53 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,365,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Lebanese people almost always speak ArabIC.
Yeah, what am I talking about? I don't speak Arabic myself so I wouldn't know what exactly they were speaking, although usually they also speak French-or English.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:53 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,620,272 times
Your thread has made me more aware. We went to Sam's today in Pineville, N. C. It was like walking into the United Nations. I would love to know how many countries were represented there. My husband and I are beginning to feel like a minority white couple. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies