Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 03:04 PM

129 posts, read 83,959 times

Advertisements

Sometimes I feel like I'm living an episode of the Twilight Zone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzlG28B-R8Y

I woke-up one morning a few years ago to find that everyone around me seemed to have gone stark, raving nuts. Up had suddenly become down and down was now up. Right had become wrong and wrong was now the new right. Intelligence had morphed into stupidity and stupidity became the new intelligence. Granted, it didn't happen all at once. It was a gradual process that is still ongoing, but it's currently far enough along that it renders this new America of ours a bizarro version of what it originally was. Worst of all; very few seemed to notice or care.

At first the lunacy only seemed to have affected the president of this nation and his immediate circle. I watched in amazement as this man ordered the invasion of Iraq in response to an attack on us by a small group of Saudi citizens. Isn't that like getting crapped on by a duck and going out to shoot the neighbors dog in retaliation?.

Then I watched in awe as our nation proceeded to bomb, torture, rape and dismember the citizens of Iraq & Afganistan in an apparent effort to convince them of how good and peaceful our intentions really were. Hmm.

I then noticed how the madness started to trickle down into the general population. Bankers started giving-away hundreds of thousands of dollars to deadbeats on minimum wage. With this free money the deadbeats were buying two, three homes just to 'flip' them for a profit while driving home prices to insane levels. This was about the time when houses magically converted into giant ATM machines and the deadbeats were busy making constant withdrawals in order to finance their extravagant lifestyles. I saw landscapers driving Hummers and burger-flippers living in McMansions.

Meanwhile I noticed I was now the object of intense scrutiny every time I traveled or went to a government office. I now had to remove my shoes, belt and any metallic objects from my body in order to gain admission. People were frisking and wanding me continuously. Apparently, I was now considered a Saudi terrorist!. My e-mail could be intercepted and my phone line tapped at any time. I could find myself whisked away to a carefree all-expenses paid trip to Cuba at any moment if my leaders so desired.

Weirder things started happening. It seemed as if 5 year-old children had taken over my government. French Fries became Freedom Fries and French Toast became Freedom Toast. All options were reduced to basically two;
I was suddenly either For it or Against it all. And being 'against it' seemed to dramatically increase the chances of my 'enjoying' a free Cuban vacation.

When inevitably the deadbeat borrowers couldn't pay back the free money they were gifted my government stepped-in to help them stay in their over-priced homes on their deadbeat salaries. Businesses and corporations started posting billion-dollar losses yet their stocks just kept going up and up and up. Meanwhile the value of my currency kept going down down down. GM -for example- posted a 39 billion dollar loss (..and that's for just one quarter!). Yet their stock went up 2% the next day!. Up is down and down is up!.

People started asking stupid questions like; "Is waterboarding torture"? and
"Why do terrorists hate our freedom"?. Our dead soldiers were being brought back under the cover of darkness in the middle of the night. The major news media went to great pains to avoid showing images of the carnage and mayhem we were reaping overseas. "Support our troops" suddenly meant giving a slap on the wrist to criminally unstable torturers and perverts. Mass-murder became 'collateral damage' when we commited it but stayed mass-murder when others did it. Invasion became liberation even tho the 'liberated' were desperately throwing rocks at and blowing-up our troops in gratitude.

Politicians who voted for the war were now suddenly saying they were always against it!. Other politicians were busy denouncing homosexuality while being serviced by homosexuals in public bathrooms at the same time. Still others touted the benefits of loyalty ..after having gone thru 3 marriages and numerous adulterous affairs themselves.

No doubt about it: "We're traveling through another dimension -- a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's a signpost up ahead: your next stop: the Twilight Zone!"

I think I'll just get off here.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:06 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanMc;2276672No doubt about it: "[I
We're traveling through another dimension -- a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's a signpost up ahead: your next stop: the Twilight Zone!"[/i]

I think I'll just get off here.
Okay, now. Buh-bye.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Okay, now. Buh-bye.

Another well-reasoned response from the Freedom Fries group, huh?.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:42 PM

333 posts, read 467,675 times
Quote:
Okay, now. Buh-bye.
SeanMc - folks from that side never answer any questions. It's always "you crazy liberals" (when in reality, most of us aren't liberal at all, just skeptics), then the insults fly and those questioning the government are made out to be the crazies. It's not only the fools on CD - it begins in Washington - this is how they're able to manipulate.

The followers who say "Okay, now. Buh-bye", or as you called them, "the freedom fries group" are basically gullible followers of an administration that is embarrassing to this country. These sheep are just as bad as their leaders in the White House.

Last edited by sliver203; 12-17-2007 at 04:02 PM..

Old 12-17-2007, 03:47 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
I doubt if hypocrisy or bad judgment (personal and financial) are recent developments, nor do I believe folks agree as to what constitutes these situations.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:50 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
Like you already said in the early part of your OP most people don't care. They're too busy watching football, checking up which celebrities are wearing underwear or not, making sure people say merry christmas instead of happy holidays...yes, America has priorities.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:06 PM

At a time when I feel as tho I'm surrounded by crazy, uneducated Über-patriotic dunces; Thank you Sliver & Visvaldis (and a handful of others) for showing me that reason is not completely lost in this country.
Yet.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:11 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,259,120 times
Quote:
Okay, now. Buh-bye.
I second that!

Old 12-17-2007, 04:13 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,693,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanMc View Post
Another well-reasoned response from the Freedom Fries group, huh?.
The post is obviously too ridiculous to respond to, only good for trolling. I admire Yeledef's restraint.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
The post is obviously too ridiculous to respond to, only good for trolling. I admire Yeledef's restraint.
"The term troll is highly subjective. Some readers may characterize a post as trolling, while others may regard the same post as a legitimate contribution to the discussion, even if controversial. The term is often erroneously used to discredit an opposing position, or its proponent, by argument fallacy ad hominem."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

Hey, this sounds easy & fun!. I like this new American philosophy of dealing with criticism; call 'em trolls!. It's almost as good as 'terrorists'!.

And it avoids having to deal with the hassle of actually utilizing that gray spongy matter with the convoluted wrinkles that some of us used to carry around inside our heads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies