Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 09:54 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
But Romney says he isn't running again, so what's the point.

I didn't vote for either men, but IMO Romney would have been a better President than Obama two fold.

He keeps saying he will not run again. Does anyone in the know (Republican Party) have a scoop on him changing his mind? After all, three times a charm, e.g. Reagan.
IMO...he will not run.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:03 AM

1,696 posts, read 1,715,055 times
I doubt Romney will run again unless he gets drafted by the Fiscal Conservatives.

The question on the poll regarded whether the respondents thought he should have been elected president instead of Obama. 45% said yes, but he lost by 47%.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:06 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
I have no doubt at all a lot of people are very unhappy with Obama right now.

Part of the discontent is natural. Every 2-term President takes a dive in popularity ratings in the 6th year, even the most popular.
And other big parts of the discontent are from unfinished business, unkept promises from the first election.

The recession was worse than any expert believed going into it, and has changed American businesses coming out of it. The

President who gets a recession always gets the blame, but every recession, and we have had dozens of them, always have beginning that go back farther in the past. Obama and his guys could have done a better job.

Some of it is due to his no sweat way of handling things. No drama Obama is true, so everyone else creates the drama.

I voted for him twice, and manned a phone bank once for him, and even I don't like what he's been doing lately. Depending on the poll's questions, I could have been marked in the disapproval column in the poll tally.

Fact 1 is: We all vote for the guy who we think will do the best job. From there on, it's up to him, not us.
Fact 2 is: Every president will make at least one bad mistake in his term. Some make great policies that are divisive at the time. A very few change the course of our nation for good or for bad. Which is which is something that only history determines decades and decades later.
Fact 3 is: American's sense of history mostly consists of what happened last week. We want everything to be fixed the way we want it Right Now!, and we always want the fix to be perfect in our view.

All the poll tells me is the Presidency should be limited to one 7 year term, like most of the world's democracies do. A single 7 year term allows the House to turn over 3 times and the Senate once. 7 years is long enough for a President to fire his Administration 2 1/2 times, and allows at least 2 new members on the Supreme Court. And a lot of other stuff we grow discontented over.

Will it ever change? I don't think so. We don't tinker with our Constitution very often. That reserve has made us what we are in large part, and why we are the oldest continual government now in the world. We are also the longest-lived democracy in the history of mankind. No other democracy ever has lasted over 200 years. Just us.

Every other country on the planet either didn't exist or has completely overhauled it's government since our founding fathers put ink to parchment.

OK- now go ahead and argue some more. That's part of why we have lasted so long.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:10 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"this is mostly just an east coast poll that ignores a good portion of the country."

Prove it or is your comment another pulled out of thin air because you don't like the results.

"From June 24 - 30, Quinnipiac University surveyed 1,446 registered voters nationwide with a margin of error of +/- 2.6 percentage points. Live interviewers call land lines and cell phones.

OOPS! I think I know whee you got your "information" from!
If you kept reading that link you would have seen where it states which states they polled. That is the proof you need.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:22 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
The thing that liberals didn't realize is that Romney would have been really good for them. He is a true moderate who would have worked across the aisle, unlike Obama. He is as close to being a Democrat without the D a politician can be, and he has more business and management experience in his little finger than Obama ever will have.

We need to be managed out of this fiasco.
Lol. All of a sudden Romney 'would have been' the great savior of the US?

First of all it does not matter--he lost. Second, you haven't a clue what he would have done. Did anyone (other than Cheney) know that Bush planned to invade Iraq after getting elected? Third, Romney was good for himself, his cronies and his own corporations, but did nothing for the employees of the companies he raided and destroyed. His 47% statement told the real story of what he thinks, despite the fact he was talking about elderly people on SS, vets and people living in poverty. And, oh yeah, he seems quite ok with all of the corporate takers, corporate tax evaders and corporate out-sourcers as they are somehow entitled to tax evasion and corporate welfare.

And if Romney would have been "really good for them," why is it that he could not carry the state he governed? Why was he pretty detested in MA? Guess they didn't realize how "good he was for them" as he was responsible for massive increases in local property taxes and government fees. "The Massachusetts Municipal Association, representing the state’s cities and towns, said Romney’s cut forced communities statewide to cut services and raise local taxes and fees.”

Rather than fantasize about an also-ran, why don't all the whiners find themselves an electable candidate? Of course wallowing in misery is so much easier than being productive or contributing to a dialog based in reality.

FACT CHECK: Romney

Romney’s Jobs Record Is Best (or Worst)

Old 07-02-2014, 10:27 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post

All the poll tells me is the Presidency should be limited to one 7 year term, like most of the world's democracies do.

Will it ever change? I don't think so. We don't tinker with our Constitution very often.
Great post and a very good idea. Funny, that we don't tinker with the Constitution very often now, but in the beginning they did it very frequently.
Now, we are just afraid of change and I believe, lazy.

BTW, The most recent amendment to the Constitution, Article XXVII, which deals with congressional pay raises, was proposed in 1789 and ratified in 1992.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:41 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,180,220 times
I don't think Obama or bush were really that bad of presidents. It's just the world that we live in is a lot harder to govern, and they've had to deal with stuff like cable news, bloggers, Facebook, forums etc. People that would never have even paid any attention to politics 20 years ago no suddenly have an opinion. They see a pic of Obama being compared to Hitler on the Internet, and they think it's real. Comparing Obama or Bush to Carter or Nixon is just funny. History will show that Obama was a very average president in a really rough time. I think the next president will get it even worse than Obama or Bush. It's just the culture we live in today.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:45 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
I don't think Obama or bush were really that bad of presidents. It's just the world that we live in is a lot harder to govern, and they've had to deal with stuff like cable news, bloggers, Facebook, forums etc. People that would never have even paid any attention to politics 20 years ago no suddenly have an opinion. They see a pic of Obama being compared to Hitler on the Internet, and they think it's real. Comparing Obama or Bush to Carter or Nixon is just funny. History will show that Obama was a very average president in a really rough time. I think the next president will get it even worse than Obama or Bush. It's just the culture we live in today.
Knowledge of what our government is doing is a bad thing???

Old 07-02-2014, 10:50 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
It's just the world that we live in is a lot harder to govern, and they've had to deal with stuff like cable news, bloggers, Facebook, forums etc. People that would never have even paid any attention to politics 20 years ago no suddenly have an opinion.
I think that is an improvement. Who would want to live in the dark politically like we did before?
Only having info spoon fed to us that they found palatable...

And, this country has had much rougher times than a barrage of online social media outlets.

Obama is a bad president because of his policies and actions. Not because of what's said online...

Old 07-02-2014, 10:50 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,960,364 times
Quote:
Aside from dragging the country into a completely unnecessary war, Bush wasn't a terrible president. But it's extremely difficult to overcome that one - it's the big black mark that will keep him ranked among the worst presidents of all time.

I do agree with you on Obama - he will be judged as average in a very rough time. Maybe better than average if Obamacare works out in the long run. FWIW, I don't think that Romney would have been a terrible president, but the band of crazies he brought with him were what scared people off. The GOP needs to moderate and get rid of those crazies if they want to turn the ship around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies