Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 01:18 AM

9,879 posts, read 7,993,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
I guess it is like the English signs you often see in foreign countries when you go there right ?
You mean like in Europe where over 51 percent of adults can speak English and it is the official
language of the European Union.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:19 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,873,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewishtoLA View Post
Spanish is only spoken by around 12% of the US population and America is a multicultural country where hundreds of languages are spoken. I don't care if Spanish is the second largest language in the USA because we have hundreds of languages spoken here by hundreds of thousands of people.

How come when I go to some public places such as airports and parks I see Spanish signs included?! Keep it English ONLY or if you are going to include Spanish, then you better include French and other languages as well. You cannot favor one ethnic group over another.

I don't want my tax payers money being spent on including Spanish signs on my local airport, zoo, government buildings, etc. Indeed I refuse going to stores with bilingual signs.
I wonder how the rest of the world feels that the second language on their signs are in English

Old 07-03-2014, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Right (these people don't travel). Go to any European country and you'll see signs in 5 or 6 languages, no matter which language most people speak in said country. Why this would bother anyone is beyond me.
Europe is Europe.....Go to Moscow

Old 07-03-2014, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I wonder how the rest of the world feels that the second language on their signs are in English
What is this rest of the world. Could you name some places, besides Europe.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:27 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,441,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Europe is Europe.....Go to Moscow
LOL. No desire. I love the USA, I just think it's funny that people can be so afraid of another language, especially since signs are in our predominant language and sometimes also offered in another. I get around fine here in Texas without knowing Spanish (which is what we're really talking about). I took French in high school, can't remember a thing. For what it's worth, Russia isn't in Europe, it's Asia.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:29 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,873,141 times
Quote:
What is this rest of the world. Could you name some places, besides Europe.
Literally the rest of the world. Like, in any place that might have some semblance of internationality, the signs are in English.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
LOL. No desire. I love the USA, I just think it's funny that people can be so afraid of another language, especially since signs are in our predominant language and sometimes also offered in another. I get around fine here in Texas without knowing Spanish (which is what we're really talking about). I took French in high school, can't remember a thing. For what it's worth, Russia isn't in Europe, it's Asia.
I know where Russia is. I was trying to get you to see another place, beyond Europe.

And, I did not mean physically go there I meant if you ever did, you won't find road signs with English on them.

I speak Russian & French. But I live in the US. I believe in a common language
for the masses, but have no problem with anyone speaking their native tongue or whatever on a day to day basis.

We simply need something to twine us all together, sort o speak.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:34 AM

15,082 posts, read 14,274,318 times
Quote:
Well, I vote we all have to speak Russian & French
I'm fine with that. I speak both.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Literally the rest of the world. Like, in any place that might have some semblance of internationality, the signs are in English.
Well Belgium is a multicultural city and theirs is in FRENCH, GERMAN, & DUTCH

Things are in English, because it is considered a universal language. Do you know in Hong Kong kids start learning it at the age of 3

Old 07-03-2014, 01:43 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,441,099 times
Quote:
I know where Russia is. I was trying to get you to see another place, beyond Europe.

And, I did not mean physically go there I meant if you ever did, you won't find road signs with English on them.

I speak Russian & French. But I live in the US. I believe in a common language
for the masses, but have no problem with anyone speaking their native tongue or whatever on a day to day basis.

We simply need something to twine us all together, sort o speak.
Ah. Gotcha. So many of these threads involve Americans who have never been anywhere, I just assumed. The only places I've been on the Asian continent were tourist places and had signs in English. Europe, well you know my experience in those countries...English and a zillion other languages thrown in. I have no problem with common language, but the OP is throwing a fit because another language (and not just THAT language) is listed, and not predominantly but as an afterthought. It's silly. I love that I can visit different cultures in my city, and lots of the restaurants (for example) have signs outside in both English and a foreign language that I can't make out for the life of me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies