Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 01:44 AM

393 posts, read 503,640 times

Advertisements

We are harming Mexican children by not making them learn and speak English. Why do you think it is difficult for them to find high paying jobs? They need to have there signs because they would be lost in America without them! I am not against speaking another language, speak English when out in public!

Old 07-03-2014, 01:57 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,013,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
There is no national language in this country.
Not from the Federal government, but 33 states have made English their official language.

When and why do U.S. states make English their official language? - The Washington Post

Skim past the pic of Santorum because most states did it in the '80's or '90's.

Old 07-03-2014, 02:24 AM

2,687 posts, read 2,184,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
If the stat is to be assumed correct, that only 12 percent speak Spanish, then that percentage is too small to justify it be included on anything from the Federal level. If individual states want to do that, fine.
If the language is more common than 12% in some areas (and obviously, that's the case), it's completely justified.

Old 07-03-2014, 03:26 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,915,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewishtoLA View Post
But this is America where English is the national language !
English is the most commonly spoken language, it is not the national language.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
The people that those signs are intended for are highly uneducated and too irresponsible/ignorant to learn English. That's why the signs are posted like that.
Here we go again, another person who is against illegal immigration that has trouble distinguishing between illegal immigrant and Hispanic.

How about all those signs in foreign countries with English posted underneath? I have friends from Japan, which is an extremely nationalistic country that prides itself on its ethnic homogeneity, they have English printed underneath the Japanese and they even have the audacity to print transliterated Japanese underneath the Chinese and Japanese characters to aid those non-Japanese speakers. I don't know about you, but it seems like Japan hasn't lost its ability to speak Japanese do you? ****'s sake, Americans making mountains out of molehills as usual

Last edited by Ibginnie; 07-03-2014 at 09:36 AM.. Reason: Flaming

Old 07-03-2014, 04:09 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,981,829 times
Does the federal government still print notices, forms, instructions and letters in Spanish and English because that's the lawsuit for people who speak another language besides Spanish? Over the decades, the feds went back and forth on whether it was discriminatory.

Old 07-03-2014, 04:57 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,438,243 times
Sometimes, signs in Spanish work effectively for English speakers as well. I can't speak Spanish but I understand PROHIBIDA LA ENTRADA well enough to avoid getting into trouble.

Old 07-03-2014, 05:11 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,746,092 times
I like driving in Canada where some of the road signs are in English and French at least until you get far enough North and they signs are in English and the local "native" language. I can manage French (Arret = Stop) but comprehend Cree.

The people complaining about Spanish on road signs are desperately frightened by the changes in our population and cultural. Too darn bad. This country has changed its population and culture since it was founded. This is one of the things that makes our country GREAT.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:06 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,662,921 times
Spanish signs going up everywhere are proof that the hispanic immigrants are not expected to assimilate ever -- and they are not expected to learn a word of English.

Old 07-03-2014, 08:57 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,271,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
You mean like in Europe where over 51 percent of adults can speak English and it is the official
language of the European Union

The EU has 24 official languages with several core working languages, so try again.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:00 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,431,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewishtoLA View Post
Spanish is only spoken by around 12% of the US population and America is a multicultural country where hundreds of languages are spoken. I don't care if Spanish is the second largest language in the USA because we have hundreds of languages spoken here by hundreds of thousands of people.

How come when I go to some public places such as airports and parks I see Spanish signs included?! Keep it English ONLY or if you are going to include Spanish, then you better include French and other languages as well. You cannot favor one ethnic group over another.

I don't want my tax payers money being spent on including Spanish signs on my local airport, zoo, government buildings, etc. Indeed I refuse going to stores with bilingual signs.
I don't think bi-lingual signs cost that much more than non-bilingual signs.

It cost more to have someone standing there who has to handle 12% of the customers and translate where the bathroom is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.