Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 03:08 PM

267 posts, read 311,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Before you answer, state your own race.....

This was brought up in a discussion and got me to thinking about the Redskins.
I was curious as to whether the "United Negro College Fund" name is offensive to anyone.

I'm white, by the way.
I'm Louisiana Creole (mixed with African, French, Native American descent).

Well, I remember the word Negroe without the "e" as a choice for race in the 2010 Census.

The meaning and usage of words can change over time. It is the present culture that defines how that word is used and the meaning of it. Sometimes it can even be what a particular word means to an individual. What visual does it conjur up and how that makes one feel? Words can change as to what is socially acceptable or "politically correct." The word "black" at one time wasn't accepted. It seems that "African-American" is what is the most widely used and accepted in our present culture.

Words are very interesting to me. They are the most powerful tool we have. It is up to each individual to educate themselves as to the meaning of a word according to the present day and age. Unfortunately, words are being used more and more to hurt others. The spoken word has become the weapon of choice in our society today. This should not be so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 06:09 PM

6,818 posts, read 14,029,650 times
Quote:
Ok then, in your estimate, how many people have to be offended by something in order for it to be changed? 1, 10, 1,000,000? A majority? 50.1%?

You see, even with Redskins, they've taken polls of Native Americans, and a vast majority like the name and are not offended, they see it as honorable.

So, I ask again, how many people need to consider something to be offensive? An while are all these white progressive libs have their panties in a wad over that name?

When the patent office pulled the trademark they set the percentage at 30% of the total native American population.

Reggie

Old 07-03-2014, 06:11 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,131,464 times
Quote:

I was curious as to whether the "United Negro College Fund" name is offensive to anyone.

I'm white, by the way.
Black...

Only if it's used in an offensive manor by a white conservative...

Last edited by SHABAZZ310; 07-03-2014 at 06:19 PM..

Old 07-03-2014, 07:08 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
If you are a white conservative, claiming that you have black friends is considered proof by liberals that you are "racist".
I have no need to describe my friends at all. I have friends who are all races and several different ethnic cultures as their heritage. They have no need to describe me, either.

I'm white, but not really; we are all just many different shades of tan. The only white person I know is an Asian albino, and he's really white.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:25 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,383,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
"Negro" was the correct word for people from Africa when I was growing up. Since then I've been kept on my toes with Black, people of color, African-American.
I don't care to offend people and I don't care to appear out-of-date or ignorant. So I'm willing to cooperate and use the latest correct appellation.

That is because Europeans ( mostly not all) does not accept non-Europeans as real people. To make things worst a negro mostly has America ( USA ) to fall back on, and most people do not accept America as a real race or nation. They use the media to control, morph, and change non-Europeans minds. Every now and then, they change things up, and then a black person will follow the trend. It is a form of control basically. Go and watch the film "CoonSkin" on youtube right now. Basically Black people do not have anything to draw from, and when they do, it always seems like they do it, to stand out.

To make things worst people who are nuetral and does not care at all. Gets caught in the cross fire usually. Like you might go to work with non-Europeans, or even Europeans and they stand out somehow. Usually because they have ideas that is not following people, or mimicking each other. So those unique people stands out.

Usually an person of an different nation or ideal way of thinking stands out among everybody else. Like In a recent clubs, you will see a bunch of guys who are bald, and gals with super straight hair, with no body or bounce.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:44 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,148,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Or ban Spanish -- more and more the word "negro" is coming back.
Really? The mexican vodka "Oso Negro" needs to rename itself or risk being called offensive? Its a black bear.

Where is it coming back? I havent heard any news reports, lol.

Make Spanish illegal?

Old 07-03-2014, 07:59 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,951,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Gee...would you go up to a black person you didn't know on the street and say "Hey negro!" If the answer is "No," then yes, it's offensive.

For Gods sake!! Would you go up to a white person and say "Hey Caucasian?" Negro and Caucasian are words to describe a race. Only an idiot would be offended by their use.

Old 07-03-2014, 08:19 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,389,775 times
anything the black community don't invent is offensive, even just talking to them in normal conversation is offensive

Old 07-03-2014, 09:30 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,131,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
anything the black community don't invent is offensive, even just talking to them in normal conversation is offensive
This is the same propaganda you here from white nationalist organizations. It's funny how the people who know the least about black Americans are some how experts on the black community...

Old 07-03-2014, 09:42 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:

I'm white, by the way.
Oh my! I'm white and enjoy Mexican food accompanied by a Negra Modelo beer. Clearly I offend! What to do, what to do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies