Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 10:24 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,500,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I'm not going to lie. I drink beer (not much for hard liquor), nevertheless, I can still exercise self-control. At any rate, gotta love the hypocrisy, guns, God, and beer (which I support all 3 BTW)... but weed???? Hell no!
Oh, I drink beer as well. I am kinda a homebrew/craftbrew hipster, ha ha. I avoid liquor as just a matter of tastes. It isn't pleasant like beer is.

I can exercise self-control and personal responsibility both in consumption and my actions after consumption. The exact same thing with cannabis or a mixture of the two. Them, a long with caffeine, are the only drugs I choose to partake in.

I love how the comments from drug warriors on this article have been "Things are likely to go badly when you combine carrying a weapon with drug use." All despite the fact that this festival has been happening for over a decade. In that decade, not one death. Heck, using Google you can't find a single documented instance of violence at Porcfest. (I am sure there have been disputes, but they have all resolved peacefully.)

Why can't the drug warriors point to a festival that allows open carry and drug use that is full of violence and death? Because they are simply wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 10:28 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,591,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
It varies, but mostly, yes.

Libertarians believe in the non-aggression principle, which means that government can not initiate violence on peaceful people, and crossing a line in the dirt is a peaceful action.

Tourist are fine, but don't make camp in my back yard.
There comes a time you need to go home and that is after the tourist spends all their cash with enough left to get back home.
Not get a job and call it home.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:32 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,440,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Home brews.....MMMmmmmm.

MMMmmmmm...BEER

Old 07-03-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Tourist are fine, but don't make camp in my back yard.
There comes a time you need to go home and that is after the tourist spends all their cash with enough left to get back home.
Not get a job and call it home.
So you believe in using violent force on peaceful people. I find that completely uncivilized. Unless you are talking about your literal backyard, in which case your problem is trespassers NOT immigrants.

You don't believe in freedom, you just want the greatest possible benefit for yourself.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:38 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,100,149 times
Quote:
And PLENTY of people think the exact same thing about you and other neocons...

Care to actually add anything to the conversation?

I agree. I've never understood the attraction of an event such as Burning Man. I actually knew some adults that always attended and then they would return and brag about their drunken/druggie partying, naked people, etc. And what's with the drums? It is some auto-erotic excuse to act like a moron once a year. Maybe they are otherwise unable to channel their needs throughout the year and this one time they can do it. It is just weird.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:51 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,782,455 times
Quote:
(I have one problem with the article where the author fails in the same way so many people do, he calls Libertarians "isolationists". Open borders and free trade is not "isolationism". Neither is *not* dropping bombs on third world countries.)
Agreed!

One thing though... many of us do not support open borders. In fact we support using the military to enforce the borders. Obviously our federal government has no intention of enforcing the law. Close a few foreign bases, bring 10-20k troops home and put them on the border.

See "A Libertarian Argument Against Open Borders" by John Hospers

A Libertarian Argument Against Open Borders

Old 07-03-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Agreed!

One thing though... many of us do not support open borders. In fact we support using the military to enforce the borders. Obviously our federal government has no intention of enforcing the law. Close a few foreign bases, bring 10-20k troops home and put them on the border.

See "A Libertarian Argument Against Open Borders" by John Hospers

A Libertarian Argument Against Open Borders
Like I said, the opinion varies, but it does skew towards open borders among most libertarians.

I, along with other libertarians, would argue that you are not a real libertarian if you want to enforce the borders especially with the military.

Libertarian perspectives on immigration

Quote:
Within recent times, some libertarians, especially paleolibertarians such as Lew Rockwell and Ron Paul, have voiced concerns pertaining to the traditional "open borders" policy held by most libertarians.
Quote:
On 12 January 2009 the Libertarian Party (UK) was criticized by No Border Network for having authoritarian and anti-libertarian policies on immigration, in particular the treatment of asylum seekers.
The 2004 Libertarian Platform called for "the elimination of all restrictions on immigration, the abolition of the Immigration and Naturalization Service and the Border Patrol, and a declaration of full amnesty for all people who have entered the country illegally"

The Non-Aggression Principle is basically the foundation of Libertarian philosophy. You simply can not enforce borders with violence or the threat thereof without being in clear violation of the NAP.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
I agree. I've never understood the attraction of an event such as Burning Man. I actually knew some adults that always attended and then they would return and brag about their drunken/druggie partying, naked people, etc. And what's with the drums? It is some auto-erotic excuse to act like a moron once a year. Maybe they are otherwise unable to channel their needs throughout the year and this one time they can do it. It is just weird.
Yeah, I couln't do burning man, ha ha.

I enjoy multi-day music festivals, those are a blast. But I don't get the naked hippy thing.

Truly, it is sad the author of the article compared it to burning man. Porcfest is NOT a bunch of naked revelers.

It is still early for video from this year, but here is a vid e from 2013. Hardly a group of extreme weirdos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXFKsRdvu9w

Old 07-03-2014, 11:25 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,456,602 times
Quote:
The 2004 Libertarian Platform called for "the elimination of all restrictions on immigration, the abolition of the Immigration and Naturalization Service and the Border Patrol, and a declaration of full amnesty for all people who have entered the country illegally"
And this is why ideologically-pure libertarianism will never be more than a tiny fringe group in American politics.

No one in mainstream politics -- contrary to the lies spewed incessantly by ultra-cons here, there, and everywhere -- supports fully open borders.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:26 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,363,125 times
I am for freedom and if people want to drink heavily, do drugs, and carry guns more power to them. I would use my freedom by choosing to never ever attending such a event. There is a potential for chaos that I would not want to be part of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies