Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 04:14 PM

13,302 posts, read 7,863,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I am happy no incidents have happened.

But it will, drug addled, and mind altered minds with guns and throw alcohol into the mix.

A disaster waiting to happen.
Not many people had guns at Altamont.

Guns are what separate Libertarians from Liberals.

Liberals prefer to hire their guns because they lack the ability of self-responsibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 07:20 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,500,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I don't label myself a liberal but I support gay rights. I'd say your statement in that case was exclusive.
I also support gun rights.

labels are silly.
So you are saying that most liberals don't support gay rights and most conservatives don't support gun rights?

Old 07-03-2014, 07:33 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
So you are saying that most liberals don't support gay rights and most conservatives don't support gun rights?
I don't care much for generalizations.

Old 07-04-2014, 06:50 AM

Quote:
I don't care much for generalizations.
Cool story. These are groups of people who label themselves as such because they have similar political beliefs. If we can't generalize what those beleif systems are, then they are absolutely useless. Now, I kinda agree about not caring much for generalizations. But in this context, it is kinda the entire point of the political label.

Political labels are generalizations.

If you don't like political labels, maybe start a thread about that? It seems odd to go into one thread and complain about one person using political labels.

Old 07-04-2014, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Cool story. These are groups of people who label themselves as such because they have similar political beliefs. If we can't generalize what those beleif systems are, then they are absolutely useless. Now, I kinda agree about not caring much for generalizations. But in this context, it is kinda the entire point of the political label.

Political labels are generalizations.

If you don't like political labels, maybe start a thread about that? It seems odd to go into one thread and complain about one person using political labels.
I've noted that I don't care for generalizations in many threads.

Old 07-04-2014, 07:21 AM

Quote:
I've noted that I don't care for generalizations in many threads.
So you intentionally go into threads and derail them? You haven't commented once on PorcFest, the topic of the thread.

Again, I invite you to start a new thread if you want to propose a system without any generalizations... it doesn't exist. People band together and take political action based on those generalizations... on a very large scale. I am not trying to tailor my posts towards you, I am tailoring them to the huge majority that does use generalization labels.

I would probably be on your side about a system that treats everyone as an individual with no group think, but that isn't how the major systems of the world work, and this isn't the place to discuss it. This thread is about The Porcupine Freedom Festival.

Old 07-04-2014, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
PorcFest is awesome. Lots of Democrats and Republicans turned Libertarians and open minded people from both parties.
Just looked at your location... lucky...

I am all the way across the country, so I have not experienced a PorcFest yet. I am really hoping to make the road trip and attend next year, fingers crossed.

I have not signed for the Free State Project, but I get closer to signing every day.

Old 07-04-2014, 07:26 AM

Quote:
So you intentionally go into threads and derail them? You haven't commented once on PorcFest, the topic of the thread.
Sure I have. I said they aren't bothering me so why should I care what they want to get together and do?

Quote:
Again, I invite you to start a new thread if you want to propose a system without any generalizations... it doesn't exist. People band together and take political action based on those generalizations... on a very large scale. I am not trying to tailor my posts towards you, I am tailoring them to the huge majority that does use generalization labels.
I would never expect you to. If you think you can speak for a group larger than yourself you can think that. You can't though.

Quote:
I would probably be on your side about a system that treats everyone as an individual with no group think, but that isn't how the major systems of the world work, and this isn't the place to discuss it. This thread is about The Porcupine Freedom Festival.
And I said, more power to them.

Old 07-04-2014, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Sure I have. I said they aren't bothering me so why should I care what they want to get together and do?

My bad, I missed that. I thought your first post of the thread was the one where you started nit-picking my posts. A majority of your posts in this thread are wholly off-topic though, and so are my responses to them. I would like to stay on topic.

Quote:
I would never expect you to. If you think you can speak for a group larger than yourself you can think that. You can't though.
Drop it, we disagree 100% on whether or not making safe generalizations of a group is "speaking for them".

You will NOT convince me that I am attempting to speak "for" ANYONE.

Quote:
And I said, more power to them.
At least we agree on something...

Old 07-04-2014, 07:38 AM

Quote:
My bad, I missed that. I thought your first post of the thread was the one where you started nit-picking my posts. A majority of your posts in this thread are wholly off-topic though, and so are my responses to them. I would like to stay on topic.
My first post was in support. You didn't understand and then thanked me for my clarification in my second post.

Quote:
Drop it, we disagree 100% on whether or not making safe generalizations of a group is "speaking for them".

You will NOT convince me that I am attempting to speak "for" ANYONE.
I'm not trying to convince you of anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies