Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 08:35 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,504,712 times

Advertisements

Inside the libertarian version of Burning Man: Guns, booze and bitcoin

The drug warrior lib's and con's would have you believe that this is simply impossible.

From the article:

Quote:
LANCASTER, N.H.— Like any good bonfire, the evening ritual at the Porcupine Festival deep in the White Mountains of New Hampshire, includes a drum circle, plumes of marijuana smoke, shared bottles of whiskey and spirited debate.

There are also guns. Lots of guns.

Colt .45s, Smith & Wessons, and Rugers hang on hips. A bearded man clings to an AK-47; a guy with a Mohawk has a shotgun with flowers coming out of the barrel strapped to his back. For this isn’t your typical bacchanal in the woods. This is the libertarian version of Burning Man., where a kumbaya discussion around the campfire goes something like this:

“It’s great to be around people who understand. I don’t get how the left won’t just admit that income tax is theft. Who cares if it’s for a good cause? If I held you at gunpoint to pay for my mother’s cancer treatment, wouldn’t that still be theft?”

Quote:
The ideological motivations, which Free Staters discuss over homemade mead and beers, are relatively easy to understand. The U.S. government suffers from low approval ratings, we have been fighting wars for years without a satisfying result in sight, and privacy is slipping away. Why not just dissolve it all — or most of it— and live as individuals? In other words, live like the porcupine: Let your lifestyle not encroach on others, but if someone comes at you, don’t hesitate to protect yourself with quills. Or your AR-15.
Discuss!

(I have one problem with the article where the author fails in the same way so many people do, he calls Libertarians "isolationists". Open borders and free trade is not "isolationism". Neither is *not* dropping bombs on third world countries.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 08:49 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Home brews.....MMMmmmmm.

Old 07-03-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Home brews.....MMMmmmmm.
And this comment means?......

Are you implying that they didn't drink homemade beer?

Old 07-03-2014, 08:57 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,237,091 times
Retards acting in a retarded manner.

Old 07-03-2014, 08:58 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
And this comment means?......

Are you implying that they didn't drink homemade beer?
This comment means its about the level of reaction I have to a bunch of people getting together and not bothering me

Old 07-03-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Retards acting in a retarded manner.
And PLENTY of people think the exact same thing about you and other neocons...

Care to actually add anything to the conversation?

Old 07-03-2014, 09:00 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,152,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Inside the libertarian version of Burning Man: Guns, booze and bitcoin

The drug warrior lib's and con's would have you believe that this is simply impossible.

From the article:

Discuss!

(I have one problem with the article where the author fails in the same way so many people do, he calls Libertarians "isolationists". Open borders and free trade is not "isolationism". Neither is *not* dropping bombs on third world countries.)
Libertarians are for open borders?

Old 07-03-2014, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
This comment means its about the level of reaction I have to a bunch of people getting together and not bothering me

Thanks for the clarification.
If only we could get liberals and conservatives to not bother people who don't agree with them now....

Old 07-03-2014, 09:01 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,755,378 times
It's been done before. Just no gun control and no turf wars swirling around it.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Libertarians are for open borders?
It varies, but mostly, yes.

Libertarians believe in the non-aggression principle, which means that government can not initiate violence on peaceful people, and crossing a line in the dirt is a peaceful action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies