Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 08:38 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
It may have been private property, but if it is a public business then they have no expectations of privacy.
It's private [property, they can require you to wear pink underwear, skip rope and sing kumbayah if they wanted.

Quote:
Anyone physically ejected from a public business by rent-a-COPs has grounds for assault charges. Private security has no legal authority to touch you in any manner, except in self-defense.
What I meant was they could request it, if you don't comply then the cops can physically remove you and you'll be cited for trespassing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 05:38 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
It's private [property, they can require you to wear pink underwear, skip rope and sing kumbayah if they wanted.
Not in a public business. They can refuse you service, but they cannot compel your compliance. If I want to take photographs of their business, and I am on public property, there is not a damn thing they can do about it legally. Contrary to the OPs misinformed post, there is no law under the USAPATRIOT Act that prohibits photographs being made by anyone.
Quote:
What I meant was they could request it, if you don't comply then the cops can physically remove you and you'll be cited for trespassing.
Yes, they can request that I not take a photograph. If I am on their property and I do not comply, then they can ask me to leave their property. However, if I am not on their property and I do not comply with their request, then there is not a damn thing they can do about it.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:47 PM

Quote:
They can refuse you service, but they cannot compel your compliance.
Yes they can by threatening you with ejection from the premise.

Quote:
Yes, they can request that I not take a photograph. If I am on their property and I do not comply, then they can ask me to leave their property. However, if I am not on their property and I do not comply with their request, then there is not a damn thing they can do about it.
As I pointed it it appears the OP was on private property in both case.

Old 07-06-2014, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Yes they can by threatening you with ejection from the premise.
They can threaten all they like, that does not compel anyone to do anything. Tell them to call the COPs. When the COPs arrive and ask you to leave the property, then comply and leave the property. I would be willing to wager that any threat they make is entirely a bluff and they have absolutely no intention of wasting the time of the police, but even if they did call the police, so what? As long as you comply with the COPs lawful order to vacate the property, you will not have violated any laws.
Quote:
So? Continue taking pictures while they go call the COPs. When the COPs arrive and ask you to leave, do so, and continue to take pictures of the business from public property (such as the sidewalk or street).

There is absolutely nothing illegal with taking photographs of a business that caters to the public. If they have a problem with that, too damn bad.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:47 AM

Quote:
When the COPs arrive and ask you to leave the property, then comply and leave the property.
At that point int time you will be cited for trespassing.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:34 PM

220 posts, read 748,191 times
Quote:
How do you determine the boundary of where private and public property starts?

Also makes me wonder how they are going to handle drones being operated from public right-of-way in the future?
Attached Thumbnails
Hassled For Taking Photo's - Patriot Act-imagesbnvywrxa.jpg   Hassled For Taking Photo's - Patriot Act-2010-06-13_dus4-1-.jpg  

Old 07-17-2014, 11:18 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,929,147 times
Interesting how the more cameras they get, the less anyone else should have. This is supposedly a training video.

Terrorist Screening Center - Police Training Video as seen on the Alex Jones Show - YouTube

Old 07-18-2014, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonAriba View Post
How do you determine the boundary of where private and public property starts?
Roadways are typically public, with very few exceptions. Sidewalks are also public because they are in the roadway easement. Other city/county/state/federal lands are all public. Otherwise, you are safer if you assume that the property is private.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonAriba View Post
Also makes me wonder how they are going to handle drones being operated from public right-of-way in the future?
Drones are an interesting topic, and is only just now being dealt with by various State legislatures. Alaska, for example, has banned the use of drones for hunting purposes, but there is currently nothing preventing someone from operating a drone on public lands and videotaping activity over private property.

Old 07-18-2014, 04:44 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Frightened people do foolish things such as passing the Patriot Act. The purpose of that Act was to give our Secret government the means to terrorize the rest of us while getting rich off of secret dealings with the powerful elite.

I an far more concerned with these domestic thugs than with any attack by Saudi fanatics on our building or bridges.

Old 07-18-2014, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Frightened people do foolish things such as passing the Patriot Act. The purpose of that Act was to give our Secret government the means to terrorize the rest of us while getting rich off of secret dealings with the powerful elite.

I an far more concerned with these domestic thugs than with any attack by Saudi fanatics on our building or bridges.
Yet another poster that has never read the law and has utterly no clue what they are talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies