Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 09:45 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,052,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
As times change, people do as well. We live in a digital age where social media is the norm. Matter of fact, I don't watch traditional television anymore...I haven't for the past 5 years. Instead, I stick to buying DVDs of shows I hear a lot about/like or watch a bunch of Youtube videos from Content Creators I'm subscribed to. Plus with Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime, etc,etc I can get what I want when I want it.

In short - everything I can do with a television, I can do plus more on my laptop.
You can...but you don't. The empowering and winning forces of today's grassroots are lost in the social media web...not taken to the streets.

The difference today is the barrier between what "can be done" and what "is done" is much bigger than in the 1960s-70s.

Today you are a slave to brand words like amazon prime and netflix. What you won't do today is wallow into the wooden pines and meet a wandering individual with free words of wisdom in the wide open natural world and I'm here to tell you the web isn't replacing the natural. Yes the cyber world makes 99.9% of a lot of things possible but not a drop to actually be utilized by you.
See if you can go a day without google, yahoo, Facebook, wikipedia, YouTube...then go into the natural world and embrace the land and earth and care about your local music, local ceramics, local events...make ideas from pure scratch
Like the children of the 1960s

Today you own nothing to call your own and you bow down to Bill Gates and Apple, inc. and you accept these guys became masters of it all not by thinking up great ideas, but by acquisitions and mergers and monopolizing and using every loophole in every anti-trust law to buy up all the intangibles they can to trademark everything as owned by one giant entity you so bow down to.

And then you conservatives call this freedom of choice. It's about as much freedom of choice as being given nothing to eat for days and told to choose starvation or a big mac. Where the mcdonalds bought the rights to every piece of land so nobody else can build anything. Then McDonaids to claim they saved your life because you would have starved without being saved by the Big Mac and thank you for choosing McDonald's. It's a conformist digital world.

Last edited by EricS39; 07-05-2014 at 10:03 PM..

Old 07-05-2014, 10:10 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,052,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
You are really full of yourself. Your other posts wax poetic about social democracies yet you complain here about too much government. And you try to carry yourself as a child of the 60s, which we know you're not.

Stitching song titles together into a run on sentence doesn't impress me.
The problem is you only see that I am stitching song titles but tune out the essence of those song titles I stitched together and why. It is a lack of indulging in what was original craftsmanship and now you see can't zoom in and take deeper looks within things. You are held hostage to digital world where a protest sign is a protest sign ...regardless of message and origin

You never once take a look at your machine made kitchen table and ponder, for example, what metal factory made this piece of the chair and who ran it through the machine...to you it's just a table

It's a lack of depth

It's called square, conservative, shallowness, dysthymic

Old 07-05-2014, 10:18 PM

31,925 posts, read 14,913,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Does your mommy know that you're up?
Does yours lol Not sure why you have a problem with this post since it's pretty much true.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:30 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,220,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
You can...but you don't. The empowering and winning forces of today's grassroots are lost in the social media web...not taken to the streets.

The difference today is the barrier between what "can be done" and what "is done" is much bigger than in the 1960s-70s.

Today you are a slave to brand words like amazon prime and netflix. What you won't do today is wallow into the wooden pines and meet a wandering individual with free words of wisdom in the wide open natural world and I'm here to tell you the web isn't replacing the natural. Yes the cyber world makes 99.9% of a lot of things possible but not a drop to actually be utilized by you.
See if you can go a day without google, yahoo, Facebook, wikipedia, YouTube...then go into the natural world and embrace the land and earth and care about your local music, local ceramics, local events...make ideas from pure scratch
Like the children of the 1960s

Today you own nothing to call your own and you bow down to Bill Gates and Apple, inc. and you accept these guys became masters of it all not by thinking up great ideas, but by acquisitions and mergers and monopolizing and using every loophole in every anti-trust law to buy up all the intangibles they can to trademark everything as owned by one giant entity you so bow down to.

And then you conservatives call this freedom of choice. It's about as much freedom of choice as being given nothing to eat for days and told to choose starvation or a big mac. Where the mcdonalds bought the rights to every piece of land so nobody else can build anything. Then McDonaids to claim they saved your life because you would have starved without being saved by the Big Mac and thank you for choosing McDonald's. It's a conformist digital world.
Yeah...TL;DR.

I dunno about you or the hipster brigade you're trying to lead, but everything I can do on a TV (watch movies, dvds, play video games, etc) I can do on my laptop and I have. I was talking purely in a utility role...what are you talking about?

Old 07-05-2014, 11:06 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,371,256 times
Default Why is today's society so drug-free and square and conservative?

Because it grew a brain, of course.

Old 07-05-2014, 11:10 PM

7,292 posts, read 6,882,256 times
May be more people are seeing how utterly stupid drugs are.

Old 07-06-2014, 04:00 AM

26,928 posts, read 15,141,498 times
Quote:
But what happened to the psychedelic eastern religion Ravi Shankar tarot hippie beads with sitar and patchouli oil and hemp shop culture? With chanting nudists in tents and art graffiti and outdoor concerts with long hair and antiwar flower children of the revolution?

And the beautiful every day people just wanting a little R-E-S-P-E-C-T with the words of the prophets written on the subway walls....and the smoking sounds of the sergeant pepper lonely hearts club band on the misty mountain top in the the desert on a horse with no name among riders on the storm into this house we're born to see Indians scattered on dawn's hwy bleeding ghosts crowd the young child's fragile eggshell mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
You are really full of yourself. Your other posts wax poetic about social democracies yet you complain here about too much government. And you try to carry yourself as a child of the 60s, which we know you're not.

Stitching song titles together into a run on sentence doesn't impress me.

You've got to admit that was some funny sh*t though.

Old 07-06-2014, 04:10 AM

39,809 posts, read 26,369,236 times
Baby boomers grew up.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:00 AM

58,732 posts, read 26,982,562 times
Quote:
Instead of Cyber space YouTube and Facebook and texting is the drug of drugs

Once it was hallucinogenics, speed, downers, experimental drugs and magic pills, transcendental meditation, love shacks and real acoustic psychedelic stuff happening

NOT this top 40 junk autotune songs on the corporate XM radio

But Real homegrown
acid rock Zeppelin and Cream and Hendrix and Jefferson Airplane and Woodstock and Grateful Dead and Alice in Chains

Instead of corporate office jobs,

it was all American industrial union manufacturing mills

And real flower people and real hippies and real stuff on the town square bulletin about counterculture and living in tepees and stuff

Today it's all about YouTube and Facebook likes and selfies and living with mommy and daddy at age 26, not teens venturing off into teepees in California communes

So Lame and square
"So Lame and square" A perfect self description!

Old 07-06-2014, 06:54 AM

18,407 posts, read 7,030,619 times
Quote:
Instead of Cyber space YouTube and Facebook and texting is the drug of drugs

Once it was hallucinogenics, speed, downers, experimental drugs and magic pills, transcendental meditation, love shacks and real acoustic psychedelic stuff happening

NOT this top 40 junk autotune songs on the corporate XM radio

But Real homegrown
acid rock Zeppelin and Cream and Hendrix and Jefferson Airplane and Woodstock and Grateful Dead and Alice in Chains

Instead of corporate office jobs,

it was all American industrial union manufacturing mills

And real flower people and real hippies and real stuff on the town square bulletin about counterculture and living in tepees and stuff

Today it's all about YouTube and Facebook likes and selfies and living with mommy and daddy at age 26, not teens venturing off into teepees in California communes

So Lame and square

"When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put aside childish things."

I used to be a pretty heavy partier, but as I got older I realized I had very little in common with many of the faux hippie culture morons that I had surrounded myself with.

I short, I realized that unless I was stoned, these people were not just boring idiots but often downright annoying.

Eventually, I decided that that was not the type of person that I wanted to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies